PDA

View Full Version : Plovers versus Power

neilsermk1
15-Apr-16, 12:42
Noticed that some actual research had been carried out by RSPB before, during and after the construction of the wind farm at Gordonbush.
The findings report an 80% reduction in the number of Golden Plovers in the area. Hardly an ECO friendly solution to the green power windmill dream.

Kenn
20-Apr-16, 16:43
Saw that too, shame as they are such an iconic bird, love their passage through the county every year as they head to and from their breeding grounds.

Rheghead
23-Apr-16, 20:33
The truth is that bird populations vary all the time in all areas, eg. the decline of puffins at Drumhollistan, thank goodness the proposed wind farm can't be blamed for that unless they've read the planning reports? [lol]

Neil Howie
24-Apr-16, 01:05
Noticed that some actual research had been carried out by RSPB before, during and after the construction of the wind farm at Gordonbush.
The findings report an 80% reduction in the number of Golden Plovers in the area. Hardly an ECO friendly solution to the green power windmill dream.

Hard to compare with the effects of a new nuclear power station or new coal burning generator. maybe 80% is high.

I did note that RSPB are broadly in favour of well sited windfarms.

Aedan Smith, Head of Planning and Development for RSPB Scotland, said: 'We desperately need more renewable energy projects including wind farms to help tackle the causes of climate change, which is harming wildlife in Scotland and across the world. However, it is vital that wind farms, like any development, are sited to avoid harming our most important places for wildlife.

sprint95m
24-Apr-16, 14:38
After being alerted to this story by this thread,
I looked for this story online and both the BBC and the Northern Times state that the decline at Gordonbush is greater than the surrounding areas but neither quoted the actual numbers involved.
In my experience hill walking I have only heard and seen Golden plovers to be sparsely spread as a breeding bird, but they do occur here in Caithness wintering in large numbers. Indeed this morning I saw a flock of what I guess
numbered over 200 coming to land near Reiss Lodge. Last Sunday, flying over Reiss was another flock of maybe half that size.

Their preferred breeding habitat is the Low Arctic tundra, so I wonder if their breeding range and numbers will be adversely affected as the climate warms?
Being a very vocal bird, their calls are a great distinctive sound of summer in the hills. It'll be a shame if they do disappear as a breeding bird in Scotland.