PDA

View Full Version : help wanted

justine
30-Apr-07, 20:44
does anyone know where i could get my hands on a kitten bottle and teat for handrearing

buggyracer
30-Apr-07, 21:13
the vets have them as well as powdered milk.

what are you trying to rear? im assuming an animal?

neepnipper
30-Apr-07, 21:47
We sell them at Pets at Home, £2.99 for a feeding kit consisting of bottle, 4 teats and a bottle brush, we also sell Lactol (powdered milk) in different sizes. I think the vets charge about £12.00 for a bottle and teats as my friend bought one from the vets the other week.

justine
01-May-07, 13:16
thanks for the info..I have managed to get a feeding tube with small teat......I am trying to rear two abandoned baby rabbits...The owner took them away from mother, and one died, leaving the two..When i got them i managed to warm them up and am now getting them to suckle. think. Well they have urinated, which i am taking as a good sign that they are getting enough milk.....Lets hope i can get them to grow and live...They are now 2 days old.....I did try to get my doe to accept them as she is still feeding her babies, but no luck so it looks like i will have to play mum....

buggyracer
01-May-07, 14:18
put lots of little pin pricks in the teat as opposed to one big one, stops to much liquid coming out at once.

also rub there tummys gently with a warm damp cloth to stimulate them going to the toilet (this is done with kittens and puppys so not sure if the same for rabbits but id imagine so)

good luck and let us know how they do!

Solus
01-May-07, 16:13
Cool Justine, you got to keep us posted, pics pics pics

justine
02-May-07, 11:28
hi guys....Well they are now three days old and thriving.I never realised that they can make such a noise when they want feeding....They are waking every four hours.I think that the worst is over and i think that they will survive.....

Solus will get some pics for you as soon as i can, between the kids and the babies i am pretty much thinned out at the moment....But any advise is helpful.I have never hand reared rabbits before...but i think i have got it right......They are gaining weight and are very lively.....

corgiman
02-May-07, 18:07
I am hand rearing 2 4 week olds just now and just feed morning and night, a doe will norammy only feed them once a day. I do not envy you with 3 day olds it will not be an easy task at all but it can be done. Remember to ask for any help at the warren I know a couple of people have successfully reared from birth.

justine
02-May-07, 19:11
hi there corgiman...I have gone to the warren but have no responses as of yet....I hope that they will make it through the next couple of weeks but i know that it can go either way.I hope they do as i will be so proud of myself for taking on the responsibility for such cute little bunnies...Will let you know what happens....Cheers for the help...

corgiman
02-May-07, 19:18
there is a response there with a link to a previous topic

corgiman
02-May-07, 19:39
I have pm'd you the links from the topic

justine
03-May-07, 09:49
Well just an update....Unfortunately both the kits died last night......I just hope that i gave them a good life before they died...At least i tried......They are now resting with our stitch.............Thanks for all your help with this matter......

buggyracer
03-May-07, 11:14
what a shame, you did all you could.

corgiman
03-May-07, 12:29
you took on an enormous task Justine and well done for at least trying. I have 2 here who I know are so much further on than yours were but I know from experience that I could lose them very fast so at least you tried.

justine
03-May-07, 12:31
thaks corgiman..I knew when i took them in that the chances were slim but i think that all things living deserve a chance....It does not make it any easier, but i would do it again if i had to.Thanks again for all your help with the links..I have learnt so much from this....

Bradcon
03-May-07, 15:29
Thats so sad Justine, but at least you tried, which is more than some people would have done. Well done for trying to help them.