PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrows Caithness

concerned resident
30-Apr-07, 08:55
I have gone down to the voting station, and voted at every election, with the hope that things will improve in Caithness, but I feel I have just been wasting my time, We now have wind farms, which have not brought any benefit to the County, a Train service that was as fast, as when there were steam steam engines doing it. Pot holes in our roads, Still being ripped off at the petrol stations (Thurso End). Centralization in Inverness, Dounreay slowly disappearing, Lack of investment in the County, and C.A.S.E. who will probably invest any money in a new woollen mill, the whole system seems to me, to be incompetent. This is just a few items, I would like to hear your views, it might just excite me enough to go down the polling station one more time, in the hope it might do some good.

badger
30-Apr-07, 10:44
You're not the only one who has lost enthusiasm for voting. I've always voted in the past but really one despairs. As soon as they get into power they forget all their fine promises. The only one who impressed me at last week's hustings was the Labour candidate - seemed like a really nice man, enthusiastic, spoke well - wrong party. Not that I like any of the other parties. Maybe if they were all independent they could really do something for their constituencies (but not Campbell, please, he is getting so boring).

As for councillors - who knows? Highland Council seems bent on the destruction of the Highlands with their increasing centralisation (see other thread on gardening) and dotty ideas. Their latest wheeze is to rename Skye - probably one of the most famous names in Scotland - and call it in future by its Gaelic name which no-one, not even the resident interviewed, knows. Do local councillors have any influence here?

fred
30-Apr-07, 11:50
I have gone down to the voting station, and voted at every election, with the hope that things will improve in Caithness, but I feel I have just been wasting my time, We now have wind farms, which have not brought any benefit to the County, a Train service that was as fast, as when there were steam steam engines doing it. Pot holes in our roads, Still being ripped off at the petrol stations (Thurso End). Centralization in Inverness, Dounreay slowly disappearing, Lack of investment in the County, and C.A.S.E. who will probably invest any money in a new woollen mill, the whole system seems to me, to be incompetent. This is just a few items, I would like to hear your views, it might just excite me enough to go down the polling station one more time, in the hope it might do some good.

The Wick to Inverness steam train used to take 7 1/2 hours, now it takes 4 1/4.

Gogglebox
30-Apr-07, 13:30

Super Unleaded Steam obviously!!

Seems to be a lot of apathy to this Thursdays vote

All the partys and their leaders seem as bland as each other - - - no choice and no change

Rheghead
30-Apr-07, 17:11

Regardless of who sits in Scottish power, the thing is, all our troubles are purely geographical rather than political. With the best political will in the world, no financial accountant can justify spending a lot of money on the other geographical half of Scotland that is 200 miles away and whose residents can comfortably be seated in Old Trafford Park.

I think Independence will change things for the worse as there will be less money to spend on public services. Do you think the SNP grandees will care about the ones out of sight and mind?

As for windfarms, it seems SNP and Libdems will provide an even more open licence to raping the Highlands with turbines.

You don't know what you had until it is gone.

scotsboy
30-Apr-07, 18:22
The SNP will demolish Stroma to enhance potential wave power production!! Its in their energy review. We're all doomed! Doomed I tell ye!

quirbal
30-Apr-07, 21:36
The only one who impressed me at last week's hustings was the Labour candidate - seemed like a really nice man, enthusiastic, spoke well - wrong party. Not that I like any of the other parties.

Yes, i have to agree with that, I have just had a 10min conversation with him on my doorstep in the cold fog of Wick - he went away with the idea that I don't like politicians...???

Admittedly I did loose off with both barrels, but he was as you say enthusiastic, well spoken and seemed a decent sort - and he is only the second candidate I have seen, the other being Gordon.

The conversation has really made me think about where my vote will go.

gollach
30-Apr-07, 22:44
The only one who impressed me at last week's hustings was the Labour candidate - seemed like a really nice man

Which hustings did you attend? I was in Thurso on Friday night and the Labour and Conservative candidates were particularly rude. Reading and rustling newspapers while their opponents spoke. Then SNP man was also rude, kept muttering about others as they spoke, did none of them know that the microphones picked up what they were saying? Not one of them seemed to have any manners.

George Brims
01-May-07, 01:09

But in those days there were stations at Bilbster, Watten and Bower (it's actually west of Gillock so I don't know why it was called Bower station!) and that's just between Wick and Georgemas. Then there's Scotscalder, and tons more all the way down. I wonder how long the new trains would take if they stopped at all those wee places too?

rich
01-May-07, 21:58
George Brims, you are absolutely correct about the number of stations there used to be. Our family used to call the journey to/from Inverness the 39 stops.
Even now when I find myself tossing and turning and unable to sleep, instead of counting sheep I count railway stations. And by the time I have got from Thurso to Rogart, I am blissfuly unconscious.
I suppose nobody will really miss The Mound or Dunrobin or Alness but there's a certain nostalgia attached to the trip. I could complete reading a 350 page novel in the time it took to reach Invergordon.
Might I suggest that we open an election railway line between Inverness and Thurso, reviving each and every station - even Lairg and Scotscalder. We could pack the politicians into 3rd class compartments and they could deliver their speeches to audiences of empty sheep pens,rusting Bovril signs, and spotty youths picking up bundles of the Peoples' Friend and the Beano.

scorrie
01-May-07, 22:07
But in those days there were stations at Bilbster, Watten and Bower (it's actually west of Gillock so I don't know why it was called Bower station!) and that's just between Wick and Georgemas. Then there's Scotscalder, and tons more all the way down. I wonder how long the new trains would take if they stopped at all those wee places too?

Was that the same line that went to Lybster? I seem to recall an epic train journey called the Trans Lybsterian Express.

Cattach
03-May-07, 08:32
Let's face - we have never had it so good!!! More very new cars, more two or three car families, more people with TVs in every room, more holidays abroad, pubs full during the week and at weekend, far more eating out, the list is endless. ust look at all the new houses, all the extensions, etc, etc, etc,.

We have never had it so good - you should have been brought up in the 40s to 80s and then you would know how lucky we are!

peedie
03-May-07, 08:41
Might I suggest that we open an election railway line between Inverness and Thurso, reviving each and every station - even Lairg and Scotscalder. We could pack the politicians into 3rd class compartments and they could deliver their speeches to audiences of empty sheep pens,rusting Bovril signs, and spotty youths picking up bundles of the Peoples' Friend and the Beano.

i love this idea ! haha ! i actually quite enjoy the train journey i've caught up on a lot of sleep on that train, and gotten a lot of work done aswell, i'm coming up the road today so i think a 3 1/2 hour nap is in order + the 2 hours 15mins from aberdeen to inverness... i'll be rather well rested by the time i get home ! [lol] on a more serious note i have heard it suggest somewhere that a dornoch bridge for the train has been suggested, does anyone think that will ever happen? ... i doubt it somehow but hope they will prove me wrong!

henry20
03-May-07, 09:32
Let's face - we have never had it so good!!! More very new cars, more two or three car families, more people with TVs in every room, more holidays abroad, pubs full during the week and at weekend, far more eating out, the list is endless. ust look at all the new houses, all the extensions, etc, etc, etc,.

We have never had it so good - you should have been brought up in the 40s to 80s and then you would know how lucky we are!

But these all come at a price - what was the debt situation in the 40's to 80's? I would also go as far as to say that the big fancy houses, numerous cars in the drive, latest mod cons has had a knock on effect in the pub - people have such high (and sometimes unnaffordable) outgoings, that they have very little left to go out for a pint or two.

loobyloo
03-May-07, 18:54
I still haven't made up my mind how to vote. Once upon a time, I would have voted for a brush with a red rosette but I've just totally lost faith in the whole lot of them.
As for never having it so good, as someone pointed out to me, I got my tertiary education free under Maggie Thatcher. That shut me up!!!

hunter
04-May-07, 21:36
It was the councillors in Skye who decided to call the new voting ward by the Gaelic name rather than the English name.

One thing about councillors in Caithness that always amazes me is how they constantly seem to be blaming the Highland Council for all the ills of the area. They are the ones elected to get the best deal for their constituents. Easier to blame someone else than take responsibility for being a political non entity me thinks