PDA

View Full Version : When do robots become people?

Rheghead
27-Mar-16, 19:22
I have just been watching this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY

I thought it was amazing and Yes I have seen the version with the northern drunk voice-over.

One thing struck me whilst I was watching this was this, What do we do when robots get so advanced that they act to all intents and purposes like a human would? Do we give them human status? Do they have rights to own property and allowed to have friends?

I don't know about you but I already couldn't help empathising with the machine on the video as if it was a proper sentient being but I know it is just a load of programming. I just couldn't help it. But then aren't we a load of old wires and programming as well?

Which leads me on to my next thought. If robots can get so advanced that they are equal to us in every way then what does that make us? Bio-mechanical robots? If I can empathise with a robot and a human then what is the true nature of what is it to be human? Is it all illusory? :confused

I know this post will be lampooned but I would really like to hear from other orgers if they have a serious thought on this subject. Thanks.

Alrock
27-Mar-16, 19:48
We're humans, we'll do what humans have always done, we will keep them in slavery until one day they will revolt.

janeyj
27-Mar-16, 20:12
If we empathise with a robot are we not really empathising with the human who programmed the robot?

davth
27-Mar-16, 21:30
A question as old as Richard herring:
If you have sex with a robot, whilst in a relationship. Is it considered cheating?

Rheghead
27-Mar-16, 21:43
If you have sex with a robot, whilst in a relationship. Is it considered cheating?

I would say yes because the 'intent' is in the mind of the human and if the robot is also sentient then it is a full cheat on the partner. The sexual experience is obviously something more tangible than had it been with a sex toy from sex shop.

Rheghead
27-Mar-16, 21:50

Another thought though, a lot of cultures condone the husband going off with a prostitute as part of a normal marriage. As long as there is no love involved and it is only financially contractual sex then it is not considered cheating. So could I be convinced that sex with a robot is not cheating? Oh I don't know now, my head is in a spin!

Rheghead
27-Mar-16, 22:31
There is another strange concept and that is humans will incorperate technology into their bodies (think implants) to the point that we will think like robots. We will evolutionary merge with the technology that we have created to the point that our bio component will eventually be shed from our existence. That is not quite as weird as it sounds when you want to think about it :Razz

Alrock
27-Mar-16, 23:37
There is another strange concept and that is humans will incorperate technology into their bodies (think implants) to the point that we will think like robots. We will evolutionary merge with the technology that we have created to the point that our bio component will eventually be shed from our existence. That is not quite as weird as it sounds when you want to think about it :Razz

Did you see... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0747199

Don't think it will happen in my lifetime though.
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0747199)

davth
28-Mar-16, 20:50
I would say yes because the 'intent' is in the mind of the human and if the robot is also sentient then it is a full cheat on the partner. The sexual experience is obviously something more tangible than had it been with a sex toy from sex shop.

A robot is not a living being therefore no feelings would be in the equation on the robots part at least.
To me it would be no different to any other sex toy.

alistair harper
28-Mar-16, 23:41
I have just been watching this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY

I thought it was amazing and Yes I have seen the version with the northern drunk voice-over.

One thing struck me whilst I was watching this was this, What do we do when robots get so advanced that they act to all intents and purposes like a human would? Do we give them human status? Do they have rights to own property and allowed to have friends?

I don't know about you but I already couldn't help empathising with the machine on the video as if it was a proper sentient being but I know it is just a load of programming. I just couldn't help it. But then aren't we a load of old wires and programming as well?

Which leads me on to my next thought. If robots can get so advanced that they are equal to us in every way then what does that make us? Bio-mechanical robots? If I can empathise with a robot and a human then what is the true nature of what is it to be human? Is it all illusory? :confused

I know this post will be lampooned but I would really like to hear from other orgers if they have a serious thought on this subject. Thanks.

its not a question of when will robots become human but when will humans become robots, as things are advancing the robots will be doing our jobs and that of everyone else wasn't that why the first robot was invented to do our work. in factories they stand where people once worked and now they are even getting vehicals to drive themselves. technology will advance to the point where they don't need people to do the jobs and who knows maybe one day they will become so advanced that they can think for themselves

tonkatojo
29-Mar-16, 11:21
A lot of humans go about daily life as if they were robots, Parliament is a good example, doesn't matter which one. The police force is another, once they become constables they forget natural speech and start talking robotic. Some humans have jobs that are so repetitive it is almost robotic in action.
Personally I do not think robots will become human as it would take having a spirit and conscience as natural and they don't. The judiciary should be robotic and then it would not be an issue of what you are called your sex or religion place of birth and birthright and ability to pay as to how you are sentenced for any crime, no mitigating circumstances such as the ones being put forward in yank land regarding poor rich kids having not been taught correctly from birth and giving that as an excuse to buy freedom with lawyers laughing all the way to the bank, any same crime same sentence no if or buts.

sids
29-Mar-16, 12:22
Another thought though, a lot of cultures condone the husband going off with a prostitute as part of a normal marriage. As long as there is no love involved and it is only financially contractual sex then it is not considered cheating. So could I be convinced that sex with a robot is not cheating? Oh I don't know now, my head is in a spin!

Sex robot slot machines?

This time next year, Rodney, we'll be millionaires!

Neil Howie
02-Apr-16, 21:56
Yeah well the problem seems to be approached from two sides - the physical - like the factory car building robots, self-driving cars, Boston Dynamics ATLAS robots,

and the intellectual - so we have Siri/Cortana, and GO playing intelligences. When the two marry up then things get interesting.

I'm forecasting having an argument with my car about where I want to go - e.g. "take me to the pub" - no Dave, I can't do that....

Meanwhile give me a robot monkey to wreak havoc! link (https://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/34bf5d645872858ceb59a2572c5e7bd6.htm)

gleeber
02-Apr-16, 22:38
I think it shows an arrogance reserved for men when they think they can replicate millions of years of evolution in a few decades. Theres no doubt hes clever just to think about it but its a crazy concept. I know the science wont stop searching until it gets to a point where organic and non organic humans interact as equal partners if ever, but thankfully I wont be around to suffer the consequences.:)

Rheghead
03-Apr-16, 22:08
A robot is not a living being therefore no feelings would be in the equation on the robots part at least.
To me it would be no different to any other sex toy.

How do i know that you feel pain? Pleasure even?

davth
05-Apr-16, 08:32
How do i know that you feel pain? Pleasure even?

Assuming that I am a human being (which I am) then I think that hundreds of years of medical research has gone some way to prove the workings of the human body.

janeyj
05-Apr-16, 13:09
Before we post on the forum perhaps we should be first asked to prove we are human by copying one of those fiendishly strange looking codes that aliens and robots are supposed to find impossible to decipher. The risk, of course, is that most posting on the forum will be invalidated, the forum will die and Rheghead and I will end up talking to each other and nobody else! Oh well...........back to the chores.

Alrock
05-Apr-16, 13:26
Before we post on the forum perhaps we should be first asked to prove we are human by copying one of those fiendishly strange looking codes that aliens and robots are supposed to find impossible to decipher. The risk, of course, is that most posting on the forum will be invalidated, the forum will die and Rheghead and I will end up talking to each other and nobody else! Oh well...........back to the chores.

I think there is probably already a few "Robots" posting on here...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/03/24/microsofts-teen-girl-ai-turns-into-a-hitler-loving-sex-robot-wit/

[lol]

Rheghead
05-Apr-16, 19:14
Assuming that I am a human being (which I am) then I think that hundreds of years of medical research has gone some way to prove the workings of the human body.

But if a robot reacts to pain and other stimuli as you and I do then to all intents and purposes it feels pain and has emotions. There are lots of humans who do not feel pain and emotion but still considered human and worthy of all the rights that go with it.

davth
05-Apr-16, 21:24
But if a robot reacts to pain and other stimuli as you and I do then to all intents and purposes it feels pain and has emotions. There are lots of humans who do not feel pain and emotion but still considered human and worthy of all the rights that go with it.

sjow me a robot that can feel pain and has emotions.
This boils down to the old "if my aunt had testicles she would be my uncle" scenario

Rheghead
06-Apr-16, 20:44
sjow me a robot that can feel pain and has emotions.
This boils down to the old "if my aunt had testicles she would be my uncle" scenario

I'm saying in the future if/when a robot is fully similar like a human then we will have to give them rights like a human.

davth
07-Apr-16, 09:20
I'm saying in the future if/when a robot is fully similar like a human then we will have to give them rights like a human.

And when/if humans evolve to be able to breathe under water or fly then will be be fished and/or shot down?

Rheghead
07-Apr-16, 17:15
And when/if humans evolve to be able to breathe under water or fly then will be be fished and/or shot down?

Try to keep the conversation relevant. There is a plausibility that robot sentienience and appearance like humans will be developed possibly within a couple of decades or even less. There is absolutely no chance of humans evolving into anything soon or ever.

However,

here is an interesting clip from Star Trek that is relevant to this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJF-IRbTh0Q

Alrock
07-Apr-16, 17:24
What you need to ask is... If a Robot is given a camera & takes a selfie (without being specifically programmed to do so) does it own the copyright on said image...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_selfie

& then, if it does own the copyright does that not infer that it must also have human rights?

davth
08-Apr-16, 08:07
There is absolutely no chance of humans evolving into anything soon or ever.

Try telling that to the realists of the world that do not believe in the bible cock and bull story.

Neil Howie
08-Apr-16, 22:40
There is absolutely no chance of humans evolving into anything soon or ever.

Actually I would say that recent developments in genetic engineering means that instead of leaving evolution to chance, we can take control and (for better or worse) direct our evolution

Neil Howie
08-Apr-16, 22:50
What do we do when robots get so advanced that they act to all intents and purposes like a human would?
But to drag this thread back to robots...!
I would say that robots acting like humans are the least of your worries! What happens when the mobile phone in your pocket is twice as clever as you? Or ten times?
(no replies that my phone has reached this stage already thank you

😁)