PDA

View Full Version : tattoos

dunderheed
29-Apr-07, 20:40
got my latest one (number 13) done yesterday in alness , i've got to admit i was very impressed with them, infaxt that impressed that i intend to go back next month for number 14

Tugmistress
29-Apr-07, 20:43
Can you give me details of location, phone number, appointment needed etc please?
what is it and have you any pics? :D
the next question i have is my daughter reckons it is legal for her to get one at 16 if parent present, is this right? she wants one for her 16th in june and i have agreed if legal. and before anyone starts yes she has had all the talks about is she sure and does she realise it is permanent, i have 14 myself and have shown her the ones i had at 16.

emb123
29-Apr-07, 20:47
I would not tattoo someone under the age of 18 years - it is illegal - whether the parent is present or not.

Body piercing however is not covered by the same legislation - currently I am not aware of any legal age for body piercing - but as it is something I don't do it doesn't bother me :)

dunderheed
29-Apr-07, 20:49
tuggy, under no circumstances would any decent tatooist put ink on an under 18 wether their parents are present or not.

Kcs ta-tu is situated at 74 high street Alness their phone numbers are 01349 883736 or mobile - 07786646741

they work off of an appointment system , when you phone to book they will ask you to send down a £10 deposit to secure your booking.
as yet i havent taken any pics of my new design but will do maybe later in the week.

Tugmistress
29-Apr-07, 21:41
Thanks for the info, i didn't think the law had changed as i know i had my first two done too early !
Will keep the details though as i know i am always on the lookout for something good :D

emb123
29-Apr-07, 21:51
A great many tattoos are done to people who are under age.

It's a bit like buying alcohol or cigarettes, if there is any doubt in the mind of the vendor they should ask for I.D. but they don't, and besides which some 17 year olds and a few 16 year olds look much older than they are.

The onus is on the tattooist to check however because although the penalty is out of date (maximum £100) it can lead to the revoking of their license and nasty things have happened to those who persist in breaking the law.

©Amethyst
29-Apr-07, 22:22
http://file018a.bebo.com/1/large/2007/02/02/17/1290704901a3457535237b103087765l.jpg

Here's one my friend got done in Dingwall. I recommend him, too. Have heard horror stories about both Dingwall and Alness. I suppose it's all how you care for it yourself at the end of the day. They guy at Dingwall was great. I saw him changing the needle - and being able to see that is quite reassuring in my opinion.

I had my first tattoo when I was 19 and still love it. Dying to get another one but not sure what. Is anyone out there a good artist? lol

squidge
29-Apr-07, 22:25
The bruce had his last tattoo done at Alness and he was very impressed. His next one will be done there too. He thought it was clean pleasant and it didnt hurt - unlike the beuticians down the road where i decided to while away half an hour or so by having my eyebrows waxed and re shaped

OUCH OUCH OUCH - never again!!!! When i got back the tatooists wife said "she isnt gentle is she" she wasnt wrong!!!!!

©Amethyst
29-Apr-07, 22:37
OOOH! If anyone's down in the Oxford direction and decides to get a tattoo I can recommend a place... don't know the name at the moment but can get it from my 2nd cuz that lived a couple of streets away lol. Brilliant! Even though I caused a prob... passed out (low blood preassure) and they called an ambulance after they couldn't revive me. Came round just before the ambulance arrived though - thankfully lol

emb123
29-Apr-07, 22:51
Sweet tattoo.

People vary as to how well they heal - that is different people vary from one another but also someone who heals quickly sometimes may take longer to heal other times. Also the receptivity of the skin varies a great deal. Generally it's a good idea not to have had any alcohol for a few days before being tattooed - it makes you bleed more (thins the blood) and in my experience it hurts more :)

Nowadays needles and stems+tips can be purchased ready made up and in sterile packs quite cheaply which certainly makes life easier. Used to be the apprentices' job to make up endless needle sets and solder them to the bars with liquid acid flux and silver solder. Nasty job that was! There is really no excuse for not having sterile needles these days - or sharp ones.

Biggest problems I've seen have been through the use of nearly blunt or damaged needles and overworking the skin which is not really going to get a great deal more ink in, it's just going to cause unnecessary scar tissue. I have such a tattoo on my right arm from one of the best known artists in the UK - knowing what I now know, he used a needle which had become damaged (hooked at the end) and churned up the skin. No wonder he couldn't get the ink to take very well.

Boiled down to it's essence, a properly done tattoo should heal quite quickly with negligible scarring - as long as you look after it properly and keep it uninfected.

IMO the best tattooist in the UK is Ian of Reading. You will need to book well in advance and you will need a lot of money. He's probably one of the best in the world, and one of the best there has ever been.

©Amethyst
29-Apr-07, 22:57
IMO the best tattooist in the UK is Ian of Reading. You will need to book well in advance and you will need a lot of money. He's probably one of the best in the world, and one of the best there has ever been.

Hence why you need a lot of money. If you want a good tattoo... it's gonna cost ya! Be prepared to fork out.

My tattoo should have been £100+ as it's 3 little symbols but I smiled sweetly and they put it down to £50 as they decided it's just one small tattoo lol. So I could actually afford to get the caledonian home (thankfully lol... didn't take too well to oxford)

emb123
29-Apr-07, 23:06
didn't take too well to oxford)
whaat? Oxford is a wonderful place! The sun always shines on the dreaming spires (during the daytime anyway) and it's buzzing with life, Japanese and American tourists and people out having a good time.

I've always liked Oxford - wouldn't want to live there for very long but it's a terrific place to visit... if you have money :)

Tom Cornwall
30-Apr-07, 00:14
got my latest one (number 13) done yesterday in alness , i've got to admit i was very impressed with them, infaxt that impressed that i intend to go back next month for number 14

have you no sense, woman (I assume you are a woman of the female persuasion, because a bloke wouldn't be so stupid)

brandy
30-Apr-07, 00:57
my tat
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/brandy28655/america05175.jpg

dunderheed
30-Apr-07, 06:41
have you no sense, woman (I assume you are a woman of the female persuasion, because a bloke wouldn't be so stupid)

sorry to dissapoint you but i certainly am of the male persuation (either that or im an eastern european female shot putter ( no racism intended).

oh and i did a recount lastnight it is in fact number 14 i had done.

for the person on here looking for a good artist , theres this guy i know answers to the name of cedric fartsbottom the third who did the design for one of my tatts . he can be found pushing trollies up tesco way

Hibeechick
30-Apr-07, 10:08
I got my first tattoo when I was 16. Im now on number 5 and possibly thinking about another. Addictive little ( or not so little in my case) things!

Jeid
30-Apr-07, 10:42
Body piercing however is not covered by the same legislation - currently I am not aware of any legal age for body piercing - but as it is something I don't do it doesn't bother me :)

I'm not totally sure about piercings just now. A good piercer will make you sign a form saying that you've seen the needle come out of the packet, that gloves were worn etc all the hygiene stuff and to make sure that you got the piercing that you wanted.

emb123
30-Apr-07, 11:46
I'm not totally sure about piercings just now. A good piercer will make you sign a form saying that you've seen the needle come out of the packet, that gloves were worn etc all the hygiene stuff and to make sure that you got the piercing that you wanted.
Despite the government talking the talk back in 2003 when a 17 year lad died from septicemia following a labret piercing, they haven't walked the walk as far as I am aware. There is proposed legislation but apart from in London there is still no regulation for body piercers, just a voluntary code of practise.

Even with tattooing, the legislation is on the marginal side. I was a registered tattooist back in the South East but such registration basically involved a small fee to the local authority and a written statement on my part advising of all procedures I undertake in the course of preparation for (including procurement), actually performing and incidental aftercare advice of a tattoo.

A great deal of it is common sense and rudimentary hygiene and is similar to those regulations which apply for food preparation. It is regulated by the same local government department (Environmental Health).

These days most of the supplies for both tattooing and body piercing are bought in rather than manufactured by the studio - they're so cheap there is little point in making ones own pigment or needles for example. (Actually I prefer to make up my own needles but it is time consuming (although I find it very enjoyable) and there remains the possibility for doubt that it has been sterilised on the part of a tattoo-ee that doesn't exist when they see you open a fresh packet and can see for themselves that the needle is new, unused and sterile.)

I'm not touting for business btw, it's something I've not done for about 5 years as I've been too busy with PC work and quite simply I don't feel that I have the right temperament to run a studio - my disposition is more that of a quiet, artistic, intellectual type and it's a side interest to my main profession as a PC Consultant. If I were to do it again (which I will do, I find it enjoyable) my interest is more in the tattoo than the business of churning out swallows and love hearts day after day.

I'd advise anyone thinking of a tattoo to think long and hard about what they want and where they want it and suggest avoiding the 'flash' (on the walls) unless there is something there which you really like. Think about how they will feel about it when they are older, meet somebody new etc. Have a look at the world around you, in books etc for a must-have design that no-one else has. With body-piercing I would advise to go to the most experienced person you can find, some piercings are verydangerous even without the added risk of infection from someone who is casual about it.

justine
30-Apr-07, 12:11
I was under 18 when i got my first and i am now on #27.I have worked my way from shoulders to ankles....If i had the time and the money i would certainly be going back for more....I love to see good work on people,I have seen some that are impressive......I get a lot of ridicule because i am a woman, but i am all for equality....This aint a mans world any more.....:lol:

Tugmistress
30-Apr-07, 12:20
Nice one Justine, i too get some strange looks when my tatts end up on display in summer. Being female with tattos doesn't mean we are thugs but i must admit i have been stereotyped as one on more than one occassion!

justine
30-Apr-07, 12:27
Nice one Justine, i too get some strange looks when my tatts end up on display in summer. Being female with tattos doesn't mean we are thugs but i must admit i have been stereotyped as one on more than one occassion!

Yes i know what that is like...I have people try to start fights because they think i look hard, i have been refused entry into nightclubs, and you should see the looks i get in the doctors surgery, best place to go if you want funny looks. but i appreciate the art that i have.I love my skulls and reapers.I have my hubbies name across the back of my neck in inch high letters. I say if people dont like them they dont have to look.....Some people draw to show there art..I have designed a couple of mine and i know that this is the best way to show off what i can do......I Have people asking me what am i gonna do when i get older,My answer, the same as i do now...I walk proud witrh my tatts and always will.....My girls want them whent hey are older.I have been ablke to warn them about getting as many as me.They know the ridicule that comes with this passion, so if they want to go for it i am with them all the way.I will pay for their first after that they are on their own........One of the best things i ever did was go and get the first... They are very addictive and should not be taken lightly by people who are thinking about getting one... This is for life.....

emb123
30-Apr-07, 12:54
Like the oriental Yakuza (gangster), people do tend to take a certain view about tattoos, even little sweet ones like dolphins etc. The only tattoos which don't get that reaction tend to be the memorial tattoos for loved ones.

Must admit I often avoid swimming pools because I get bored of the 'ohh look at that man's back mummy'. It's a comment that gets 'old' very quickly. (I have a large self-drawn tribal design on my back).

I do believe that if you should choose to have tattoos in highly visible places (hands, above shirt line etc) that you're buying into a membership of a club of scorned and somewhat despised people.

I've met very few people in this life who aren't 'holier than thou', and not just about tattoos, but those people who do have a few tattoos tend to be a lot more down to Earth and are less inclined to be conceited or judgemental. They have faced up to world and decided to think for themselves about what they want. Doesn't necessarily make them any less selfish, but at least they aren't going to scorn you because you've formed your own opinion about something.

Very few tattooed people in the UK in my observation are thugs. Those few that are usually are have a different set of reasons from those that purely love the art and aesthetics of body art. A sadly very misunderstood art form IMO.

Tugmistress
30-Apr-07, 13:11
You two have put into words very gracefully what i couldn't :D
i have my tatts on upper arms, back, chest and ankles, so can be hidden most of the time and usually are due to the nature of the job and the weather lol.
I love my tatts, mainly mystic with a bit of tribal too.
as you justine, when the neep is 18 i will pay for her first, then she is on her own. I want 'one' more lol, though will it stop there? i don't know! they are ultra addictive and it was 1999 the last one i had!

brandy
30-Apr-07, 13:46
im planning another tat. very soon.
going to get one on my right back sholder,
this time an angel holding a baby in memory of tom
very similar to the one i have on my right sholder in memory to my godmother cept hers is a celtic cross. as shown in the pic i put up earlier,
its a memorial i will always have, where ever i am and wherever i go.

Victoria
30-Apr-07, 13:56
I've got 1 on my back which says Om Mani Padme Hum in sanskrit - its the Buddhist mantra of compassion.

They are addictive and I want another done of a banksy picture - the one with the little girl reaching out for the red balloon.

I'm not sure where I'd get it on my body though because I like to have the choice of covering them up if I want to.

paris
30-Apr-07, 14:36
Had my first tat done when i was 15 ! My daughter is the same , had her first one at 15. Good to see girlies with tats, i love em. jan x

emszxr
30-Apr-07, 16:09
i just got my 6th one on saturday. my hubbys name on back of my neck

Solus
30-Apr-07, 16:19
Tend to agree about how others few folk with tatt's, i have got my back done, base of neck , over shoulders and down my back. When on holiday i get admiring glances " wow's " to the " why did you " types. why not is my answer, i like them ,partly designed it myself with artitst pulling in a few other concepts... roll on the next ! although the ones on my arms need covering over, preferably tribal, and continue down my base of back !

johno
30-Apr-07, 16:31
I have one, and if i had my time over again there would,nt be that one. im not ashamed of it, its on my fore arm. but now that im older and wiser i would stress to anyone thinking of getting one done, think long and hard as they are easy to put on but once on, well.your more or less stuck with it. but that is my personal opinion of them.dont do it. i dont discriminate aagainst tattoo,d people, if thats what they want
it,s ok by me. A friend of a friend had his head shaved and a tattoo done on the top of it, used to be fine with him till lately, now he is older and starting to go bald he,s gutted.??

percy toboggan
30-Apr-07, 19:11
I agree Johnno. My reaction to this thread was 'why bother?' I don't have any adornments or embellishments - including jewellery. I seldom wear a watch!
To each their own of course but we must remember that 99% of people are very judgemental in such matters. I think that reasonably taut skin on a reasonably taut body cannot be imprved upon. Some of these 'victims' and I choose my word carefully will regret their actions when older. It's cool to be rebellious and different when you are younger. As age advances though tat's of all kinds can look a bit silly.
I'm at a loss to why anyone would want an unfathomable (for most folk) Budhist mantra emblazoned on their person at all. The trend for writing/scrawling the names of wives and girlfriends etc. is just plain potty in my opinion. Also these women that have symbols just above the backside or little dolphins et al on their shoulders...oh very dear....they look so corny.

The only justification for tattoos is to have ones name and address in a discreet place - now that might come in handy when older.

I daresay my views will attract scorn and loathing but I'd ask the vengeful to just read and ignore. We are never going to agree on this but as the subject came up I thought I'd stick my two penneth in.

emb123
30-Apr-07, 19:38
Percy you're entitled to your opinion. Although I agree with many of your postings, I'm afraid that on this subject we don't agree.

If I may ask some rhetorical questions....
Do you listen to music ? Do you enjoy fine art ? Do you enjoy photography ? Do you draw ? Do you enjoy making a garden look nice, or decorating, or reading fiction stories (which style ?) ? If you like music do you enjoy Beethoven ?... or Bach ? or Abba ? or Metallica ? For art would you prefer Rembrandt or Monet ?

All of those things are subjective and are a matter of personal artistic preference. There is no specific reason I could point to for why I like early music for example, but I do. To try and pigeon-hole the exact reason is a task with no reward.

There is absolutely plenty of room for regret in a tattoo but on the whole, in years to come if you get sick of something then it can be covered up with a fresh design, or removed (removal can be extremely good (a friend of a friend defied me to spot the location of a tattoo he had had removed, and until he pointed it out I wasn't able to find the place), although it is also extremely expensive and just as painful as getting the tattoo in the first place I understand).

I can appreciate that one may argue that if you're only going to hate a design then why get it in the first place ? and on that basis I do think that people getting a tattoo done should think seriously about all the implications of their proposed design so that there is less room or better yet no room for regret in the future.

I believe that 'live and let live' is a fair approach to all matters artistic.

I personally can't see the value of much of the Tate Modern art that is so controversial these days, but as much as I'm prepared to commit myself on the subject is to say either 'I like it' or 'I don't like it much'.

Fluff
30-Apr-07, 20:34
i have got one on me left forearm. a little pink & purple star. i intend to add to it when i have children.
i would love to get another done but i like having the option of covering it up, plus i dont want to look too inked up. i am thinking of getting one done on the base of my scalp/top of my neck but am still undecided.

it is for life and i dont to look wrinkly and stretched lol

Sandra
30-Apr-07, 20:44
I love them, they fascinate me.

I got my 7th tattoo two weeks ago :lol:

Tugmistress
30-Apr-07, 20:50
At my age (yes i'm an old fart at 40) i still have no regrets about any of mine. Colours have faded on the ones that are nearly 25 years old, but that can be fixed if i wanted, but personally on the two that have faded it isn't bad and i quite like it. I wouldn't say i have taut skin at my age, but i certainly don't think i'm a wrinkly yet :Razz and to me i still get the 'oooh, that's good, where....' etc and none of mine are the corny little dolphin or small one, the smallest i have is over 3" square, the largest is over 3/4 of my back.

Oddquine
30-Apr-07, 21:00
I got my first one, which I designed myself, a year ago...............a his and hers job.................which is going to be a permanent reminder that the his part of it has decided to move abroad for better winters.

So, peeps..................don't ever get one for any other reason that you want it for you!

dunderheed
30-Apr-07, 22:05
to quote someone i once overheard , i dont have 14 tattoss i have one that just isnt joined together yet (well thats the plan)

DeHaviLand
30-Apr-07, 23:46
I was under 18 when i got my first and i am now on #27.I have worked my way from shoulders to ankles....If i had the time and the money i would certainly be going back for more....I love to see good work on people,I have seen some that are impressive......I get a lot of ridicule because i am a woman, but i am all for equality....This aint a mans world any more.....:lol:

Gross, as are all tatts on women.

emszxr
01-May-07, 07:36
Gross, as are all tatts on women.

i seen another one of your posts on another thread from last night, and really it was about as much use to other posters and viewers as the above. you really should have just had an early night. imho

Victoria
01-May-07, 09:17
i seen another one of your posts on another thread from last night, and really it was about as much use to other posters and viewers as the above. you really should have just had an early night. imho

Yeah totally! no need for that malarkey. I find your attitude gross!

squidge
01-May-07, 10:49
the Bruce has several tattoos which are werewolf glyphs and viking runes - they are very interesting and always provoke an interesting conversation. Explaining them to my mum was entertaining though

kitty
01-May-07, 18:24
I've got two. One on my arm and one on my lower back. I planning my third but am not too sure what to get or where to get it yet. I'm glad to hear the good reports about the place in alness. Had heard he was good and that's where i was planning on going next.

obiron
01-May-07, 20:03
got one but would love another sometime. might get hubby to draw something different.

Fluff
01-May-07, 20:26

although you may not agree with it, are we not all allowed our own opinion?

Sandra
01-May-07, 20:59
OOOH! If anyone's down in the Oxford direction and decides to get a tattoo I can recommend a place... don't know the name at the moment

If it's the one I think you mean then it's called Lionels and is on the Cowley Road. Best studio in Oxfordshire. It's where I got my first 3 tattoos.

My last one was done at the Inverness Tattoo Centre, which I can highly recommend.

stivagorm
01-May-07, 21:01
It would be interesting to see 70 / 80 year old people to be covered from head to toe with tattoos (not)

emb123
01-May-07, 21:18
It would be interesting to see 70 / 80 year old people to be covered from head to toe with tattoos (not)
Would you imagine yourself eyeing up the average 70-80 year person relaxing on the beach if they hadn't gone and gotten themselves tattooed then ?

WeeBurd
01-May-07, 21:21
Would you imagine yourself eyeing up the average 70-80 year person relaxing on the beach if they hadn't gone and gotten themselves tattooed then ?

I'm not into tattoo's myself, but you've gotten your point across perfectly there, emb123! [lol]

emb123
01-May-07, 21:23
Thanks WeeBurd!

DeHaviLand
01-May-07, 21:43

You may not like my opinion, but its as viable as anyone elses, and I have the same right to express it as anyone else does.

emb123
01-May-07, 22:19
You may not like my opinion, but its as viable as anyone elses, and I have the same right to express it as anyone else does.
Nobody denies you the right to express an opinion (as long as you stick to forum rules, which you did) and yes your opinion is as valid as anyone elses.

What got you the short sharp reply was the sledgehammer approach with respect to other people with which you succinctly nailed your own opinion home.

golach
01-May-07, 22:19
OMG too much info stivagrom [para]

DeHaviLand
01-May-07, 22:35
Nobody denies you the right to express an opinion (as long as you stick to forum rules, which you did) and yes your opinion is as valid as anyone elses.

What got you the short sharp reply was the sledgehammer approach with respect to other people with which you succinctly nailed your own opinion home.

Isn't it a bit presumptious to be speaking on behalf of someone else? After all, it wasn't a post of yours that I was so obviously replying to.

emb123
01-May-07, 22:36
Isn't it a bit presumptious to be speaking on behalf of someone else? After all, it wasn't a post of yours that I was so obviously replying to.
Just giving an opinion, any objections ?

scorrie
01-May-07, 22:44
I find the human skin to be much more beautiful than any tattoo. I suppose the odd tattoo is OK to look at but I find the sight of a body covered in them to be unattractive in the extreme.

I remember watching a documentary on all that was amiss with modern Britain and the presenter called for disowning anyone with tattoos. In his opinion, they were for thugs and chavs. He went on to state that, in France they say "Vive le difference" in Germany they say "Ich libe dich" but that in Britain the tone is lowered by the cry "Get yer tats out for the boys"

Of course it wasn't tats he said, but I am sure you know the line and can identify with the tattooed National Front supporter, bevvy in one hand, fag in the other and just the two brain cells fighting a losing battle.

You cannot, however, fire all tattoo wearers in the same, small "box"

To each their own. For me, the Edinburgh Military Tattoo will suffice.

DeHaviLand
01-May-07, 22:51
Just giving an opinion, any objections ?

Of course I dont have any objection to you having an opinion. After all, even a fool is entitled to an opinion, but check first that its ok to speak on someone else's behalf.

Victoria
01-May-07, 23:22
Of course I dont have any objection to you having an opinion. After all, even a fool is entitled to an opinion, but check first that its ok to speak on someone else's behalf.

is this about my short reply? I guess so....

.....if people put their opinions accross in a mature and respectful way then they deserve a mature and respectful reply i.e "IMO I don't like to see tatts on women"

not the disrespectful manner you choose to post.

Anyway now that we've all had 'our opinion' can we put the handbags away and enjoy the forum nicely.

emb123
01-May-07, 23:25
Your comment was that all tats on women are gross.

Were you making a personal insult towards Justine such that Justine alone was entitled to complain to the mods or to respond to you ? or was yours a comment about tattoos on women in general ?

If the latter, which is how it reads, then you opened yourself up to getting a response from many other people who will disagree with you.

This is a public forum, if you wish to make personal attacks or have private conversations then you would be better off sticking to the telephone.

You asked in this public forum if you are entitled to an opinion, and you got one back - the answer is yes.

If you are going to go around making sweeping statements insulting a large part of the population then it would be foolish to be surprised if someone other than the person you were hoping to pick on decides to try to gently point out that what you said was rude and thoughtless (and certainly chauvinistic).

emb123
01-May-07, 23:31
aha! You beat me to reply Victoria :) didn't spot that!

I think it would be possible to troll this one out all evening but I'm not going there!

DeHaviLand
01-May-07, 23:42
is this about my short reply? I guess so....

.....if people put their opinions accross in a mature and respectful way then they deserve a mature and respectful reply i.e "IMO I don't like to see tatts on women"

not the disrespectful manner you choose to post.

Anyway now that we've all had 'our opinion' can we put the handbags away and enjoy the forum nicely.

No Victoria, it wasnt about your reply.

stivagorm
01-May-07, 23:51

Of course not and the average person does not eye up and down other people, I understand that but if you were covered from head to toe it would hardly be inconspicuous now would it ?

emb123
02-May-07, 00:03
Of course not and the average person does not eye up and down other people, I understand that but if you were covered from head to toe it would hardly be inconspicuous now would it ?
OK, I'll spell it out.... IMO by the time people reach 70 - 80 years old, they know that their Angelina Jolie / Brad Pitt days were in the past. They don't generally expect that they're going to look at their best whether they are heavily tattooed or not, and they're probably not going to be all that bothered what anyone else thinks.

On the whole, I'd say that people DO eye people up and down.

I happen to believe that good looks can be enhanced by well chosen and well placed tattoos. They aren't going to look great when the same person reaches 80 years old, but then neither is the skin.

It probably would look a bit conspiciuous but by that age, the theory is that they'd have had plenty of time to get used to that :)

Fran
02-May-07, 01:12
there is an orger in Bettyhill who is a tatooist.

justine
02-May-07, 14:13
:lol: I have peircings and tattoos and so does my hubby...We both had our tongue peirced and i tell you if he ever takes it out i wil kill him. Go with what you think you should have .If you dont like peirceings then leave it out but tatts are a must.......Addictive and well worth the pain....:eek:

kitty
02-May-07, 19:22
Just wandering if anyone knows of any sites where you can get all the different kinds of writing for tattoo's and the translations please :D

percy toboggan
02-May-07, 19:45
Percy you're entitled to your opinion. Although I agree with many of your postings, I'm afraid that on this subject we don't agree.

If I may ask some rhetorical questions....
Do you listen to music ? Do you enjoy fine art ? Do you enjoy photography ? Do you draw ? Do you enjoy making a garden look nice, or decorating, or reading fiction stories (which style ?) (Fred Forsyth)? If you like music do you enjoy Beethoven ?... or Bach ? or Abba ? or Metallica ?
Out of that lot Abba, but I could enjoy all of the rest except Metallica.

For art would you prefer Rembrandt or Monet ? (I'd be pushed to tell the difference to be honest)

I believe that 'live and let live' is a fair approach to all matters artistic.

So do I. I would never support a ban on body 'art' ort even mere tatoos. I believe common sense should kick in. If it doesn't then Que sera, sera. It's not my skin and the sight of ugly tat's at least gives me summat else to moan about like.:Razz

I personally can't see the value of much of the Tate Modern art that is so controversial these days, but as much as I'm prepared to commit myself on the subject is to say either 'I like it' or 'I don't like it much'.
I've been known to call it a load of tripe. We went to M/cr Urbis exhibition a months or two ago. One exhibit was a telly with a traffic cone shoved through the shattered screen. A load of auld Bollards !!

I replied in this way for the benefit of speed - now I have to bang out a short message or the machinery won't accept it.

emb123
02-May-07, 19:54
Just wandering if anyone knows of any sites where you can get all the different kinds of writing for tattoo's and the translations please :D
Boy is that a tough question! I've found in the past that getting reliable transalations into other scripts (e.g. Sanskrit, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Cyrillic etc) is a nightmare. There is however much more info online now than the last time I checked, certainly for Chinese characters.

This chap does excellent paid transalations into Sanskrit (Tibetan) www.inkessential.com (http://www.inkessential.com)

I've read about stories of people who had disgruntled oriental tattooists tattoing tourists with something completely different to what was asked for, two I can remember but probably shouldn't repeat here were highly insulting to the poor tourists. If you're not sure about the exact meaning of oriental characters it's worth getting them double-checked if there is any doubt.

This site seems pretty good for Chinese printed characters:
http://zhongwen.com/

The Korean written language (Hangul) is a purely phonetic language like Pitmans' Shorthand so it can be made to say whatever you want (more or less, there are a couple of phonemes in English which aren't identical).
There is some info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangul

Hope this is of some help.

emb123
02-May-07, 20:09
I replied in this way for the benefit of speed - now I have to bang out a short message or the machinery won't accept it.
Thanks for the reply Percy! Goodness knows what some of that modern art is supposed to symbolize. You and I obviously have similar views on that :) You're quicker off the mark than I would have been about the traffic cone - great line!

I've seen tattoos as well which I don't like or think are inappropriate, but I bite my lip - the person who had them done liked them enough to want them so I wouldn't wish to hurt their feelings. But equally I've seen some which are astounding or exactly right for the person, and they needn't be huge.

I respect your feelings about it too, it's absolutely a personal choice.

(Never read any Frederick Forsyth oddly enough although my dad was a big fan, rate Ian Rankin highly in a similar vein though)

kitty
02-May-07, 21:24
Boy is that a tough question! I've found in the past that getting reliable transalations into other scripts (e.g. Sanskrit, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Cyrillic etc) is a nightmare. There is however much more info online now than the last time I checked, certainly for Chinese characters.

This chap does excellent paid transalations into Sanskrit (Tibetan) www.inkessential.com (http://www.inkessential.com)

I've read about stories of people who had disgruntled oriental tattooists tattoing tourists with something completely different to what was asked for, two I can remember but probably shouldn't repeat here were highly insulting to the poor tourists. If you're not sure about the exact meaning of oriental characters it's worth getting them double-checked if there is any doubt.

This site seems pretty good for Chinese printed characters:
http://zhongwen.com/

The Korean written language (Hangul) is a purely phonetic language like Pitmans' Shorthand so it can be made to say whatever you want (more or less, there are a couple of phonemes in English which aren't identical).
There is some info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangul

Hope this is of some help.

Thanks for your help :D

paris
02-May-07, 21:53
:lol: I have peircings and tattoos and so does my hubby...We both had our tongue peirced and i tell you if he ever takes it out i wil kill him. Go with what you think you should have .If you dont like peirceings then leave it out but tatts are a must.......Addictive and well worth the pain....:eek:
Totally agree and im nearly 50 ! Had to have the tongue and tatts, it goes with being a proper biker which i am . jan x

Rheghead
03-May-07, 01:31
I must admit that I am wrong when I say this but when I see a young lady with a tattoo on show for all to see then I can't help thinking 'what a trollop!'. Tattoos aren't very lady-like in my opinion.

mareng
03-May-07, 06:46
A nice tattoo in the small of a fit girl's back looks damn fine to me, but other tattoos on open display?...................

Don't be surprised if job interviews don't turn out as well as you might hope for :(

Like it or not, you will in all probability - be discriminated against because of it.

(Dontcha' just love those "tribal" tattoos? ----- would that be the McKay Tribe from Strathy, by any chance???)

mareng
03-May-07, 06:50
Totally agree and im nearly 50 ! Had to have the tongue and tatts, it goes with being a proper biker which i am . jan x

I thought I'd miss out on the "tattoo pain" stage - I reckon if I come off the bike there will be more than enough pain :)

now.............. can you still get those transfers we had when we were kids? I reckon I can just about stand the pain of the tepid water....... :)

percy toboggan
03-May-07, 19:17
Had to have the tongue and tatts, it goes with being a proper biker which i am . jan x

No, it doesn't.
That's why I presume you're joking:lol:
I've done about 80,000 miles on motor-cycles
in all weathers. Nee tats, & my tongues intact.
I really should learn to hold it at times though.

percy toboggan
03-May-07, 19:19
I must admit that I am wrong when I say this but when I see a young lady with a tattoo on show for all to see then I can't help thinking 'what a trollop!'. Tattoos aren't very lady-like in my opinion.

I know what you mean. My mother would have called them 'common' but it seems that whole concept has slipped out of fashion.

sweetpea
04-May-07, 00:51
I'd just like to say that I have no tattoos. I love them on other people and have actively encouraged my nearest and dearest to get them, purely because I like art. I have had some piercings. I have even been know to design some. I think they are a great form of expression but it makes me sad when you see poorly done ones or things that the person hates. I have met a person who is dead now that had one strategically placed on his body to offend but he was drunk when it was done. He always said it marked him out for life. :(