PDA

View Full Version : "madly dancing backwards" early observations of my Caithness move...

jigln
10-Mar-16, 16:44
here is a little piece I wrote a couple of months ago, if I may, of my early thoughts on my Caithness experience, hope you enjoy it.

Madly Dancing Backwardsas the Sea has locked hold onto my eyes.

I have just moved to Caithness from England, though it is home to me, in at least as Scotland is my beginning point.
So far I have been taking the time to get settled, a rental for now with sights set on a little Cottage and a plot. I aim to explore well the many places of importance, intrigue and other spots that have already captured my imagination.

It has only been 6 weeks and 4 times already I have driven the road from Wick to Inverness, traversing the Ord' and the climb at Berrie Hill.

Well it seemed a traverse to me on first approach, as the Box Removals Van I was driving was the tallest allowed for it's HGV classification and it's length, with a 'single' rear wheel base and suspension that was springy, No, soft I'd say. The first approach heading North, as locals will know, is a down grade and then a very sharp turn, and that is before the climb even starts.

Well caught sudden, I was obviously a little too fast, and I stress 'little' for it wasn't the speed or the unfamiliarity of the spot, but rather the height of the Van and it's spongy springs which forced a rather wide turn, least I might topple, well that sharpened me to the spot and the coming Climb, which now suddenly looked Frightfully Monstrous ahead. I learned later it's not as daunting when expected and driving aware of all the factors.

A wide turn and then switch back ascents & descents again awakened the senses. But immediately after the Ord' the view was always pulling eastward... it's the Sea, it's that beautiful sea.

the continued drive and subsequent others that followed have also took me twice to Thurso, five times to Keiss and north, as well as a little skip through Westfield. We have stopped at Dunnet Beach and took note of the few spots on the road in... Halkirk, Castletown, Lyth, did I not see that place twice, once on the south end too before Wick, must be another name?

With my head ever pulling eastward and a sore neck too, the Sea view has allowed me to peer while passing; Dunes and Rock Beaches, Swells and Stormy Waves, Ruins, Railroad Cottages and Church Graveyards that might come quicker than planned if not for the viewing of that blasted sea.

I want to fish and spin a line, cast a Fly at Dunbeath Bridge, walk through a dozen Church yards and stop at the old graveyard I noticed around the same general area down to the right heading north, that comes off roaming hills and alluring stretches leading, where else, but too the Sea.

I see distance Work Houses and past fishing stores for Herring I trust, and Ports and places no longer used but still very much alive in their appearance. I imagine hauntingly beautiful Caithness woman with wind swept wild black hair, woolen shawls and cloaks taking either the road home or down to such meeting places. Perhaps it's the Banshee's cry I hear, or the Mermaid's seducing song.

I am solely captivated and can't stop smiling, wondering and imaging a dead world long gone, but always alive in a stilling glimpse, my eyes are stolen by that Sea, it's the sea.

I am Madly Dancing Backwards round Caithness' charm and can't help my appearance of a crooked neck, three backward steps with a sideways stride. You'll know it's me in my melodic form. Though told, it'll pass, "NEVER I retort", but I do recognise it will be joined with other plentiful Caithness spots and wonders, as my expedition has only just begun.

I love my little jig and can't wait for tomorrow's chameleon landscapes and finds, I wonder if others are dancing as fine as me in my Caithness Step.

If you see a man walking, mostly backwards, it's me, come join me in the Mad Dance and just remember Caithness, it's the Sea, it's that darn SEA.

jigln,
a now Highlander.

janeyj
10-Mar-16, 17:13
A goodly welcome to the wonders of Caithness jigln. Your observations have been joyously received and I forward you a rather large vote of appreciation from this hauntingly beautiful Caithnesian woman.

p.s. Until such time as your desire to madly dance backwards should subside I would think carefully before visiting the most well known place of Duncansby Head.

Bless you.

jigln
11-Mar-16, 16:19
thank you janeyj, glad you enjoyed it...

I will certainly bridle the 'dance' while in the location of such precarious natural ball rooms, the Sea is still calling but it's a long way down!