PDA

View Full Version : Morven the Landmark

Errogie
28-Apr-07, 20:23
At ten to nine this morning I was on a mountain top by the name of Carn an Fhidleir about 13 miles west of Braemar on the Perthshire Inverness-shire border. Great, clear weather after an overnight frost on the tent in Glen Geldie, so I was looking around trying to identify the surrounding landmark mountains. from Beinne Vorlich and Cruachan by Bridge of Orchy to Schiehallion by Loch Rannoch and of course Lochnagar and the northern Cairngorms.

Swung round from the west to the north again and there was the well known whale back of Ben Wyvis but then just to the east a little there were two other more distant pimples and because I see them regularly from above Inverness one was one of the Ben Griams towards Kinbrace and the other just had to be good old familiar Morven on the other side of the Moray Firth.

I reckon the distance as the crow flies was probably around 75 miles which is certainly the furthest I've been able to pick out the old familiar slag heap shape of home but the visibility is particularly good in the north and west at the moment in this run of exceptional weather. Morven is a great landmark because it stands so clearly on its own and I wonder if local fishing boats also use it as a reference and a location guide. It sits there on the other side of the Moray Firth more prominently than many much larger mountains in the Highlands and I suspect that its part of the cominng home to Caithness experience for many of us.

Does Morven do it for you is it the Ord or some other fearure, what is that indefineable landmark or view that says, yes we're on the home straight now or we've reached the north lands again?

Jeemag_USA
28-Apr-07, 20:27
I always loved Morven, very distinctive, not so much a slag heap as volcano like. I love the view of that panorama while travelling south. A few friends and me once climbed the hill beside the Maidens Pap, pr maybe it was the Pap? But anyway, it all looks even more impressive when your up amongst it.

My favorite views however are from the Holborn Head area and around by Clett Rock, on a clear day can see all the way out to Cape Wrath, greatview of Orkney and Dunnet Head, Dunnet Bay and Thurso.

r.rackstraw
28-Apr-07, 22:05
Carn an Fhidleir- I envy you being there today. A grand hill but a long walk in from any direction! Did you do An Sgarsoch as well?
Exceptional to see Morven from there I think. One of the best long distance views I experienced was seeing the hills of Lewis from Ben Wyvis.

Sairheed
29-Apr-07, 03:11
I came across a stunning view of Morven and the Scarabens etc. on Friday, a particulary clear sunny day.

Up the Calder road from Glengolly, past the lefthander after Howe and round the next righthander, the countryside all the way South opens up before you unexpectedly and magnificently.

gleeber
29-Apr-07, 09:38
Does Morven do it for you is it the Ord or some other fearure, what is that indefineable landmark or view that says, yes we're on the home straight now or we've reached the north lands again?
Few things attach me to Caithness like a view of Morven from the A96.
One of them is a song by Gleber called Struie Hill and another is the view across Thurso Bay on a late summers evening to the shadows being cast on Hoy about an hour before the sun sets.