PDA

View Full Version : Gardeners from Dingwall and Inverness

Cattach
28-Apr-07, 17:57
What a disgrace that the council are taking gardeners from Dingwall and Inverness to do our floral displays. Our gardeners have done a great job in the past and should continue to have this task.

Whoever is responsible for this decision should be thoroughly of his or her lack of support for our local workforce.

badger
28-Apr-07, 18:44
This was raised at the hustings in Thurso High last night along with other complaints about centralisation. Did you see the arrogant response to the other complaint about all Council candidates being expected to travel I think to Dingwall for a briefing because the official "hadn't time" to come up here? More and more decisions are going to be taken outwith our area if we don't start shouting about long and loud.

Do the people who take these crazy decisions even think about the cost not just in time but in petrol - and they expect us to think they're serious about reducing carbon emissions.

Bobinovich
28-Apr-07, 20:17
The excuse was given that the designs are too complex for the local gardeners to do which is absolute poppycock (have you seen the Highland 2007 logo???). Some of the displays they've produced in the past have been stunning and it should be obvious that they've got both the design AND the gardening knowhow to do the job. [disgust]

On another note my other half and I went for a walk one evening recently and decided to have a seat and a takeaway coffee in Lady Thurso's garden (?) behind the big church at the square, only to find there were no benches to sit on. I queried this with a council worker the next day who said that benches had been sited there for a few hours but, due to a single complaint (to Cllr. Donnie Mackay) of youngsters congregating there, they had been removed. Talk about the wishes of one outweighing the enjoyment of many. [evil]

Tilter
28-Apr-07, 20:37
Is there something wrong with youngsters congregating then? What age do you have to be to sit on a public bench in a public garden?

sweetpea
28-Apr-07, 22:28
It's like a challenege to all the gardeners up here. Get it contacted out to local people. as for young ones well I think nature is for them all especially flowers, they are for everyone!
:D

ŠAmethyst
29-Apr-07, 22:50
If gardners are to be brought up from anywhere it should be from Moray. Ok, I live a stones throw from Dingwall (but lets face it, Dingwall needs all the gardners it can get lol).

I agree with using local gardners totally, but if ya can't find any locally, get the best in... anyone been through Foress lately? Lovely public gardens!