PDA

View Full Version : Sailing into the sunset

orkneylass
28-Apr-07, 14:16
Went out from Kirkwall last night on the old wooden fishing boat "the Swan" from Lerwick. Glorious sunshine/ sunset, hauling up the sails and hauling out the bowsprit, cup of tea and slice of cake. What a magical end to the week. Anyone got a 28ft + yacht and looking for crew, just let me know!

cliffhbuber
28-Apr-07, 20:02
Sounds great!!!!!!

Wind and waves and a sunset...in tune with Nature...what more could one ask for?
On a less glorious note without a setting sun, I enjoyed canoeing on Lake Superior ridiing the swells or wind-formed whitecaps in a 17 foot cedarstrip canvas-covered canoe. Great stuff!!!
The long narrow keel allowed for tacking with ease into the trough of 2-4 foot waves.

I wonder if anyone canoes off the shores of Caithness.
Even a row boat in light seas would be a treat.

Torvaig
28-Apr-07, 22:54
Sounds great!!!!!!

I wonder if anyone canoes off the shores of Caithness.
Even a row boat in light seas would be a treat.

Yup they do! This one must have kept on going.......
http://sport.caithness.org/article.php?id=66

dirdyweeker
28-Apr-07, 23:15
Yup they do! This one must have kept on going.......
http://sport.caithness.org/article.php?id=66

What a beautiful picture and the trip must have been a wonderful experience. Did see folk Kayaking on Loch Watten today but alas no icebergs...

Dog-eared
28-Apr-07, 23:27
The Swan is in the Moray Firth Flotilla 22Jn - 2 Jly crewrate £580
or Lerwick -West Coast - Lerwick 8 - 29 Jly £405 per week.

We were sailing in Scapa Flow 11-13 April on a 28ft wooden yacht out of Stromness and it was fantastic . Stayed at Burray pier for two nights - excellent pub!!

sassylass
28-Apr-07, 23:42
*sigh* am green with envy here *sighhhhhhh*

orkneylass
29-Apr-07, 18:52
Hi - the Burray pub has just won the local award for the best evening meal. I have never eaten there so perhaps this is something I should do. Still no yacht owners out there looking for crew????

percy toboggan
29-Apr-07, 18:58
There's a spare seat in me artic tomorrow , but you wouldn't think much of Stockport !

Seriously: I envy you your experiences, especially the sunset and the feeling of floating out in an auld boat in such historical waters which have been navigated century after century by better generations than we. Thanks for sharing it.