PDA

View Full Version : Systematic Review on Homeopathy

Rheghead
26-Feb-16, 19:59
I'm puzzled how so many people are taken in by the claims made by people who are advocating the power of homeopathy despite that those people have a financial interest in promoting this pseudomedicine. An extensive systematic review has concluded that homeopathy has no beneficial effects on 68 health conditions that went above the placebo effect.

So why are they happy to waste their money? And why are they so convinced when there is no evidence? How come people will ignore this review and still claim that homeopathy works? Is it just Faith in something? :confused Is it modern day witch doctory?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/homeopathy-therapeutic-dead-end-systematic-review-no-evidence-it-works-a6884356.html

bekisman
26-Feb-16, 21:29
"People grasping at straws" There's one born every minute" "Any port in a storm" "will try anything once". BUT after so many many trials it's been proven useless : https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/another-review-finds-homeopathy-worthless/ so nevertheless some people will continue to believe it, not wishing to widen the Thread, but there are STILL people who believe in a supreme being!:eek:
Greetings from Venice!

wavy davy
26-Feb-16, 22:10
but there are STILL people who believe in a supreme being!:eek:
Greetings from Venice!

You mean Donald?

janeyj
27-Feb-16, 12:21
I consider myself to be a reasonably sensible person who is not taken in by scams or wild claims, or indeed any of the general nonsense that surrounds us nowadays. However, when growing up I had the most terrible hayfever. My eyes would stream. My nose would run. My life was miserable for around 2 months every summer. Doctor's medication would work to some extent but made me very sleeper.... and still miserable. Someone suggested I tried homeopathic tablets and, although sceptical, I tried some. The tablets were life changing for me. My eyes stopped streaming and my nose and sinuses cleared up. WOW! No sleepy side effects. No side effects at all. Now some of you reading this will think I imagined it all or that I am easily conned. But after 40 years of taking these tablets I know that 100% for definite sure that they work every single time. If I stop taking them then my symptoms return within half an hour. Yes, the science does not stack up. I know that. I can only guess that somehow there must be a branch to conventional science that is currently beyond our understanding. So does that mean that those of us who successfully use homeopathy are cranks? Frankly I don't care what people think. It works without fail for me every single time and that's what matters to me. Whether the science adds up or not homeopathy works totally reliably for my hay fever and the same tablets will cure any runny nose with a cold that I have.

Janey

Shaggy
27-Feb-16, 14:13
Whether the science adds up or not homeopathy works totally reliably for my hay fever and the same tablets will cure any runny nose with a cold that I have.

Janey

What ingredients are in these amazing tablets?

badger
27-Feb-16, 15:19
I get really tired of these attacks on homeopathy and have noticed when the two sides are interviewed on radio the conventional medics are arrogant and aggressive whereas the homeopaths simply try to explain their case. My personal experience has been that these remedies work where drugs often fail. What I have no doubt about is that far more people are harmed and made more ill by over-prescribing drugs, often conflicting, than have ever been made ill by homeopathic remedies. Look what is happening with antibiotics. Most drugs have side effects. I can't explain homeopathy but vast sums would be saved in the NHS if they were more open-minded.

crayola
27-Feb-16, 15:52
Ha ha Rheg you'll never convince the Org's oddballs and quackpots that they're wrong.

A pal's magic homeopathic remedy for hay fever turned out to contain twice as much cetirizine as my prescription pills. :lol:

Mother Earth will provide cures but homeopathic nothingness never will. :roll:

Rheghead
27-Feb-16, 22:53
I get really tired of these attacks on homeopathy and have noticed when the two sides are interviewed on radio the conventional medics are arrogant and aggressive whereas the homeopaths simply try to explain their case. My personal experience has been that these remedies work where drugs often fail. What I have no doubt about is that far more people are harmed and made more ill by over-prescribing drugs, often conflicting, than have ever been made ill by homeopathic remedies. Look what is happening with antibiotics. Most drugs have side effects. I can't explain homeopathy but vast sums would be saved in the NHS if they were more open-minded.

As with everything, people are only arrogant when you know that they are right and you don't like it.

Rheghead
27-Feb-16, 22:56
Ha ha Rheg you'll never convince the Org's oddballs and quackpots that they're wrong.

A pal's magic homeopathic remedy for hay fever turned out to contain twice as much cetirizine as my prescription pills. :lol:

Mother Earth will provide cures but homeopathic nothingness never will. :roll:

Well I never thought for a second that homeopathic cures actually contained proper medicine.

gleeber
27-Feb-16, 22:58
Although I trust science when it comes to objectivity I don't think scientists can be trusted. Surely in the field of science janeys testimony must stand for something.
What about God seeing as he's been mentioned. Surely there's something soundly scientific about millions of people leading better lives because they believe in
God?

Rheghead
27-Feb-16, 23:02
Although I trust science when it comes to objectivity I don't think scientists can be trusted. Surely in the field of science janeys testimony must stand for something.
What about God seeing as he's been mentioned. Surely there's something soundly scientific about millions of people leading better lives because they believe in
God?

The thing is though gleeber, we only see what we want to see and when a broken clock tells the right time at least twice everyday then we tend to give lots of credit for those two moments in time.

gleeber
27-Feb-16, 23:17
Well I don't believe I only believe what I want to see. You can believe what you want.

crayola
27-Feb-16, 23:19
Well I never thought for a second that homeopathic cures actually contained proper medicine.
Nor did we. The contents on the packet said otherwise. No wonder they worked.

Saveman
28-Feb-16, 17:34
Personally I'm astonished how effective placebo is! It should definitely be prescribed more often!

pat
28-Feb-16, 19:48
How long has modern medicine as such been around?
We still have to see the full effects of modern medicines in years to come. We have so many people sensitive to modern antibiotics and drugs.
Are men getting larger breasts due to the residue of 'the pill' entering our water system, is this also the reason for the apparent rise in difficulty in a couple getting pregnant?

Homeopathy has been around for many centuries and appears to have very little effect on our environment - even less packaging

I have tried both and know I will try Homeopathy first and if that does not succeed, will eventually try modern doctors and modern medicines

Neil Howie
28-Feb-16, 22:42
I would have to say that it is still around because it is an alternative to modern medicine.

If everyone went to their doctor and was cured, then homeopathy would disappear overnight.

But if the treatment you get dries up or isn't effective, then you will try anything, never mind homeopathy. And yes I'll take my placebo affect too!