PDA

View Full Version : Save the Moine

seanmackay
24-Feb-16, 14:59
http://www.thenational.scot/comment/letters-ii-plans-for-satellite-launch-site-in-sutherland-must-be-carefully-scrutinised.14023

Alrock
24-Feb-16, 16:17
OK,
Won't create a huge amount of jobs, but it will create some...
The roads aren't up to the job, improving them would have to be part of the deal...
I guess a lot of it will have to come in by sea, so new infrastructure will be required there...
Enviromental impact I think will me minimal, just really only in the immediate area, but that is the price of progress...
As for "hostile foreign elements" targeting the area, we had Dounreay for years without coming under attack...

That letter just strikes me as MIMBYism...

I think you'll find at the end of the day it will be down to cost that we see the idea being abandoned.

scorrie
24-Feb-16, 17:16
http://www.thenational.scot/comment/letters-ii-plans-for-satellite-launch-site-in-sutherland-must-be-carefully-scrutinised.14023

The letter is biased and scaremongering in nature.

For now, all it is is a feasibility study, into whether the location is suitable or not. Plenty of time will have to pass and both intent and the willing to put money into it established. Potential strikes or terrorist attacks look slightly premature and rather fanciful for now.

I would be more interested in how much HIE have spent commissioning this feasibility study and what benefit they see being reaped from it?

World beating heating scheme anyone?

seanmackay
25-Feb-16, 14:41
'I would be more interested in how much HIE have spent commissioning this feasibility study'

Now THAT is a good question!!

crayola
25-Feb-16, 16:40
I am so excited about having a launch site at Melness near Tongue. Not only will it provide skilled jobs following Dounreay's winding down, it will be so convenient to nip in the car and just drive there from Thurso. That will be so much better than that long boring trip to Baikonur.

I look forward to the North leading the way again. Fabulous!