PDA

View Full Version : how do i arrange this

lynne duncan
27-Apr-07, 23:46
I want to buy something from the US but when I emailed them to ask if they posted to the uk this was their reply-

Unfortunately we only ship within the US. If you need to place an order you will need to go through a freight forwarder and pay by a wire transfer.

so if anyone can explain how I go about this I would appreciate the info
Lynne

Tugmistress
28-Apr-07, 07:40
The easiest option is go through a friend in the states. get them to order and pay for deliver to them, then get them to post to you and send you a paypal bill including postage to yourself, that's what i did and it worked a treat :)
i had never met the friend in the states that did this for me, we had just becomes 'acquaintances' on a fishing forum over a year previously. Yes it involves a lot of trust, use your judgement as to who you ask.
just an idea :)

lynne duncan
28-Apr-07, 11:40
thannks tugmistress
I dinna ken anyone stateside but I'll check with the rest of our group
though if anyone else knows of a freight forwarder again any info helpful

EDDIE
28-Apr-07, 11:46
U have to watch when buying outwith the uk you have to pay tax on top of what your buying because its from another country

lynne duncan
28-Apr-07, 12:07
would that be about 17.5% of total cost
found out about the freight forwarder like UPS or others any suggestions who is the best/ easiest to deal with

golach
28-Apr-07, 12:08
U have to watch when buying outwith the uk you have to pay tax on top of what your buying because its from another country
Good advice Eddie, not only Import Duty also VAT , it can become an expensive article

Margaret M.
28-Apr-07, 18:53
Lynne, I will be happy to order it and send it to you. Just email me the details.

lynne duncan
02-May-07, 19:22
margaret I have tried pm'ing but not sure if have received it, we would be delighted for your help. I will try pm'ing you again

j4bberw0ck
02-May-07, 23:40
If the goods are more than about £132 sterling equivalent you'll have to pay import duty (10%) and VAT (17.5%). Some goods (computer bits) are exempt from import duty but maybe not VAT. The Post Office will tell you the tax bill and require you to pay it by credit card before they'll deliver.

Some US sellers won't mail outside the US because their contracts with suppliers won't let them - eg it's very difficult to buy an iPod in from the US because US sellers have a contract with Apple not to sell outside US territory (so allowing Apple to rip off non-US customers). Surely not that nice Apple company though? Oh yes....

Watch out also for surface mail from the US, whose Postal Service is one of the few that's worse than ours. It can take weeks and weeks and weeks.....

Rheghead
03-May-07, 01:14
Watch out also for surface mail from the US, whose Postal Service is one of the few that's worse than ours. It can take weeks and weeks and weeks.....

So does that mean you can either be a Fedex customer or a Fedup customer??;)

Tristan
03-May-07, 10:01
Even with import duty and vat it is often cheaper to buy from North America.
I have bought CD's from Canada that are not available here and even with import duty and tax they came out a lot cheaper than CD's in the UK.

NickInTheNorth
03-May-07, 15:26
I know folks that have used this bunch (http://www.parcel2go.com) - seems quite expensive to me, but if the savings are big enough it may be worthwhile. There are plenty of others that offer the same sort of service too.