PDA

View Full Version : gurn gurn gurn

brandy
27-Apr-07, 22:29
im ready for a gurn..
why is it when you say that you want a dog, people start telling you why you shouldnt have one?
i will be the first to admit in the past seven years i have had nothing but bad luck with dogs!
but by god it wasnt anything that we did wrong.. it wasnt that we didnt care for them.. just plain horrible luck!
i will give you the details, and then tell me how it was our fault that we have had so many dogs, that didnt work!
1st Robbie (collie) poor wee man.. we had him for a few weeks, and he bagan crying and walking in circles.. off to the vets we go.. after several visits in a few days.. had to have the little man put down as he had a brain tumor.
2nd Mac (Alsation from a farm whos granpa was his dad) yup i know but he was so darn cute.. now this was my mistake! i thought he could be a town dog. 3 hours walks a couple times a day.. and still insanley hyper.. he ate the bathroom when we put him in at night.. and i do mean he ate it.
this dog was isane.. and bored out of his mind all the time.. no matter how much we played or ran or swam.. nothing and i mean nothing wore him out.. so at the end of the day, we got him a home out in the country so he could run.
3rd Jake ( got him 2 years ago when ben was a baby. golden retriver/collie cross) absolutley lovely boy.. no problems .. fit right in to our family. only problem was ben decided to be allergic! im talking 6 mnth old baby covered in hives.. huge blotches.. i took him to the dr. took jake to the vets. called the groomers everything.
the dr. wouldnt give me anti-histemines for ben ( he was to young) vets couldnt help as they couldnt give me anything for the dog. and because of his big double coat the groomers said, that they couldnt do anything that would help either.. so in the end we had to give him away.. and i gave him to a fellow orger, who after the sad loss of their dog 18 mnths earlier was finally ready to add a new member to their family.
now ben has outgrown his allergy.. and they have been asking and asking and asking.. so we have started thinking.
that yes we could try again.
i brought home a little jack russel, and had him for 3 days but he and the cats hated each other on sight and he refused to let the kids near me.. growling when ever he saw them within 10 ft of me.. and getting very territorail. so i returned him to his owner as he couldnt cope with the kids or cats.
i have reserched researched and researched dogs the past few months.
but every which way i turn i get shot down and told.. oh why would you want a dog?
do you think thats wise?
the one that really burns me up is..
a puppy needs a lot of attention.. its like having a baby in the house..
i swear to God, i really just want to slap people when they say that.
i feel like saying, really.. well i wouldnt know now would i?
so evidently i can raise children , but im not to be trusted with a puppy because i obviously dont have the time or patience to deal with one.
end rant

stratman
27-Apr-07, 23:09
I have 3 dogs and yes they can cause problems but it is WELL worth it. If you can give a dog love and a lifestlye it needs then get one. Hey get more!!
Enjoy.

vwchick
28-Apr-07, 07:43
A dog is a marvellous addition to the family, wouldn't be without ours! We have a lhasa apso (small beastie like Paul O'Grady's Buster) which doesn't cast any hair and is an awfully friendly wee thing. Having said that, i recently picked her up from kennels following a trip to Aberdeen for an operation and she wouldn't look the way i was on. In the huff!! Thankfully, she has now forgiven me...:lol:

Semiazas
28-Apr-07, 08:30
Stick with it Brandy.

You'll get there in the end. I think it's great for kids to grow up around animals and your search will reap it's rewards soon enough.

I got a Ridgeback and a cross and wouldn't be without them.

Angela
28-Apr-07, 09:50
Of course you're not to blame, brandy!

You have just had very bad luck:( -definitely time for your luck to change!

Give it another go -this time you will find the dog that's just right for your family....:D

stratman
28-Apr-07, 10:44
definitely time for your luck to change!

Give it another go -this time you will find the dog that's just right for your family....:D

Hear Hear to that.

Solus
28-Apr-07, 10:54
Just ingore them brandy........ i had a run of bad luck also with my dogs, but it never stopped me..... yes we all know how much work they are, hairs, muddy paw prints, expensive, tied when it comes to nights away holidays etc.. then there is the training, the walking, ................. we all been there and we all do it time after time !

but they give you so much in return for so little, feed me walk me love me and in return i give you a cold wet nose, a waggy tail and unconditional love !:)

Dont know where i would be without my lab at my side! go get your dog and have fun !

blondscot
28-Apr-07, 16:41
Hi i think that the right dog for you will come when you least expect it!! I have 3 at the moment and out of them 2 were not planned when i was at balmore looking for a kitten came home with a OES and just last year was there again for a kitten and came away with a kitten and a lab!!
dogs are well worth all the work, i could never be without a dog in the house they complete my family! :)
I dont think that anything that you done in the past regarding your dogs was your fault just bad luck

sharon
28-Apr-07, 20:24
I have a allergy to dogs and cats, but long haired ones don’t effect me! So we own a Shih-Tzu and she thinks she’s a baby likes to go in the pram and doesn’t settle in the car or less in a baby seat!
And she’s great around kids. They have a lovely temperament but they need a lot of grooming. I personally think that its good for kids to grow up with pets. Brandy you have to do what’s right for your family, and don’t worry what others say!

the charlatans
28-Apr-07, 22:56
Brandy

A dog is a great animal. Doesn't give you cheek, doesn't care if you smell, in fact they love it when you smell. They listen to your woes, they don't listen when they are running away after a rabbit or a 'lady' dog. Ach i'm a doggy person and all things doggy.

You sound like you have your head on straight - get one if you want one. Know your limits, speak to lots of doggy people and get one that fits in with your, space and time. Some dogs need lots of exercise and space, some not so. But i think you'll be able to cope with a puppy. Just remember you're the pack leader and train it and you'll be fine. And what you put in you get back x 100.

We've got a Lakeland Terrier who has wire hair and he's fab. I'm allergic to most dogs but his hair is great. Poodles are also good for allergy sufferers. Both are small but do need a bit of exercise every day. Terriers are characters, we're lucky that ours is good with the bairns. And i hear Solus about muddy paws! new carpets and muddy paws. but i wouldn't be without him.:D

sweetpea
28-Apr-07, 23:03
I've had 2 dogs, one for 17 years, the other for 8. I love dogs no matter what anyone says.;)

brandy
29-Apr-07, 01:22
we think we are going to go for a lab.
have talked to breeders and are going to start looking at parents soon. our neighbors across the street have a lovley lab and she was kinds enough to come across today and let her play with the boys in the back garden.
i was well impressed. the kids while very interested and playing with her.. she stands near as tall as them! never pulled at her or climbed on her.. they just wondered around with her , and played along side her, trying to include her in their games, and when she lost intrest just toddled off over to us and lay under the table. she did like their play house so im thinking that it may become a playhouse/doghouse when our puppy comes.. **G**
we had planned on just leaving the back door open on sunny days so the kids and pup could come and go as the want in the back garden, and rge playhouse would be a perfect place for the pup to lay out of the sun when they wanted.

Solus
29-Apr-07, 11:30
Good choice brandy, i am on my 4th black lab now. great dogs, so gentle, intelligent (apart from mine ) great with kids, if mine hears kids outside the garden he is hanging over the fence !

Victoria
29-Apr-07, 17:45
Stick with it Brandy.

You'll get there in the end. I think it's great for kids to grow up around animals and your search will reap it's rewards soon enough.

I got a Ridgeback and a cross and wouldn't be without them.

I've got a rhodesian ridgeback - get one of them they are lovely and brilliant with the kids.

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/4297/dsc00309iq1.jpg

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/2316/dsc00311lm5.jpg

Liz
29-Apr-07, 17:57
What a gorgeous dog Victoria!:D

Victoria
29-Apr-07, 18:03
she loves snuggling up to her mum! in fact she's snuggled up to me right now on the sofa!!(shhhhh! dont tell Mr Vic!)

Liz
29-Apr-07, 18:31
It's okay! Your secret is safe !:D

Give her a big hug from me!

emb123
29-Apr-07, 18:45
I agree, if you want a dog and you have the time to give it then you should get one. I have a Jack Russell and he's my best friend in the world. They DO calm down as they get older but mine is not the best with cats either, or kids particularly.

A couple of friends have smaller dogs which are less demanding but still have great character... shitzus (however you spell it) are great characters and West Highland Terriers are very steady and easy-going with kids although they need their coats trimmed and cleaned (they're the only white dogs I've ever known who don't seem to want to stay white for more than five minutes).

Dogs are such wonderful company and if you get them young enough then there should be no problem with cats either.

From the sounds of it you've made your mind up so good luck and I wish you and your eventual new dog much happiness together :)

Cinders392
29-Apr-07, 22:33
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/8390/photo0103xd9.jpg

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/7449/feb07020ne9.jpg

Dogs are great and if you have the time, patience and are willing to put in the effort the rewards can be great. Every home should have a dog. The brits are crazy on their dogs. In some countries they are regarded as dirty and people will go out of their way to shoot them or run them down in their cars!!

©Amethyst
29-Apr-07, 22:33
Brandy, I wish you every bit of luck with your new adventure... I call it that 'cause I think it really is an adventure trying to get to know your new pet.

I had my heart set on a Husky that I was going to buy from a breeder in Brora... then I ended up in hospital with a mystery illness (which was diagnosed 6 months later). So with being ill for so long I couldn't give it the attention it would need, sadly. So I got my kitty instead. Don't regret passing up the opportunity to have the dog of my dreams lol, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

After seeing the pics of Victoria with her dog, I'm smitten... I want one of those! lol. The cat'll do though.

All the best... and give your new addition a big hug from the .orgers when you get it.

Not your fault... other people's fault for being 'airheads'! (my word of the moment lol)

Had thought of getting a Dal, too... Cinders, wonderfully loyal things... awwwww!

Cinders392
29-Apr-07, 22:44
Had thought of getting a Dal, too... Cinders, wonderfully loyal things... awwwww

Loyal she bolts like a horse, like she did yesterday. Yes if you were one of the kayakers at Watten loch yesterday that was Tally the dally sprinting past, and the 6 month pregnant woman with her 1 year old in the jogger trying to run after her was me! Although the speed she goes at her spots look more like stripes. Getting her spayed in 2 weeks.

©Amethyst
29-Apr-07, 22:53
Loyal she bolts like a horse, like she did yesterday. Yes if you were one of the kayakers at Watten loch yesterday that was Tally the dally sprinting past, and the 6 month pregnant woman with her 1 year old in the jogger trying to run after her was me! Although the speed she goes at her spots look more like stripes. Getting her spayed in 2 weeks.

LOL! Tally the Dally... nice. Mr A wants a pug called doug... and he wanted the husky to be called maclusky!

I guess Tally's still young, and full of life by the sounds of it. You'll need to train the kids to tire her out! lol.

There's qn... why do kids have so much energy - I'm so jealous!

brandy
30-Apr-07, 00:27
*laughs* im hoping that when we get a pup it will tire the kids out!
do you know i dont think weve been in the house more than a few hours this whole weekend and they are still going like mad. they will be up by half seven in the morning rearing to go again!
ben my 2 year old was determined to turn the whole back garden into a sand pit, and to help me paint the fence! *G* i feel so guilty for making the come in at night.. and they cry wanting to stay out!