PDA

View Full Version : glasgow rangers

teddybear1873
22-May-05, 20:18
well what can i say....e poor tims will all b tucked in bed early e night....poor bhoys..
what a climax to e end of e season.....i thought 2 years ago was good but that beats it hands doon..

jambo
22-May-05, 21:20
who said cheats never win ;)

teddybear1873
22-May-05, 21:39
dont understand how u can call rangers cheats...u had the title in your own hands and blew it

johndy
22-May-05, 22:41
"Rangers" Simply the Best :D

scorrie
22-May-05, 23:57
Come on lads, lets face it, this years championship was fought out by two very mediocre teams and, worryingly, the third side finished 10 games adrift. Until Celtic and Rangers can look beyond the simple target of beating each other then Scottish football will continue to be the laughing stock of Europe. If either Celtic or Rangers were the second worst team in the world the fans would be happy so long as the other side was the worst.
Expect our "Champions" to continue to be eliminated by teams who finished forth in other leagues during the dubiously named "Champions League" tournament.

scotsboy
23-May-05, 05:06
Whatever you think of the SPL nothing was decided until the last weekend, and the very last minutes! Not only who won the Championship, but also the team that was to be relegated.

Well done Rangers. Keep believing :cool:

scorrie
23-May-05, 11:16
Whatever you think of the SPL nothing was decided until the last weekend, and the very last minutes! Not only who won the Championship, but also the team that was to be relegated.

The fact that the result was close does nothing to improve the quality of the SPL, I would rather see one team win by a street if it meant they were good enough to to go on and do something in Europe.
Celtic have over-achieved under Martin O'Neill and are basically a physical and one-dimensional team who are old and creaking now.
Rangers can "Keep Believing" all they want but they will "Be Leaving" Europe in the early stages unless a massive talent input is made over the summer.

scotsboy
23-May-05, 12:14
Well Liverpool are still believing, and they have made the CL final...........using your own high standards scorrie I am sure you would admit that they should not be in the competition never mind the final...............but that may not prevent them from winning it.

Apocalypse
23-May-05, 12:20
Well all i can say is im proud very proud of ma team so get it up ye celtic bums. What did you great belamy do for u Come On The Gers [lol]

dogman
23-May-05, 12:45
rangers wur narrowly beaten in champs league qualifier by cska moscow, who went on to win uefa cup. at parheed celtic gave ac milan a good match, the same ac milan that are in champs league final. we're not that far behind europes top teams.

scorrie
23-May-05, 13:58
One off games can often be misleading, Man Utd played Arsenal off the park on Saturday but came away losers.

Simple fact is that CSKA and not Rangers won the Uefa Cup, there is a world of difference between early and end of season form, CSKA obviously got better as the season wore on.

As for Liverpool, they prove my point that teams who finished fourth in other divisions are capable of much more than the Scottish Champions.

The Premiership has several quality sides in it and that is true also of other European leagues. Stick Celtic and Rangers in the Premiership, Serie A or La Liga and they would not finish in the top 6. As I said, one-off games are totally different to playing decent teams week after week over the course of a season.

As regards to Craig Bellamy, even the most naive football fan knows that one man cannot make a team. I rate Bellamy ahead of anyone in Rangers side and have no doubt he would have been player of the year if he had been in the team all season.

I am sure Barcelona must be cacking their shorts at the thought of facing Scotland's finest!!

scotsboy
23-May-05, 14:15
I disagee with your statement regarding Rangers & Keltic in the Premiership. IF they were permitted in the proemiership then they would attract the same level of finance as other teams that play in that league, they would also be able to attract better players due to the high profile of the league - they would be major players in the Premiership.

However I do not wnat it to happen, as I value Rangers as a Scottish team..........something that few others seen to.

By the way Scorrie, go on tell us what team you support :roll:

Whether or not Barcelona will be cacking themselves is not the point, the point is that they are entitled to play in the competition.

Apocalypse
23-May-05, 14:16
What he is not worth the money celtic is payin for him and wat do u keep goin on bout e english leugue for im talkin bout the spl mate and novo and prso work as a team so we have a gd enough players and they didnt break e bank

Alexander Rowe
23-May-05, 14:58
If O' Neill does leave Celtic will struggle big time. Since he arrived he has got the best out of mediocre players who were useless in England, ie Thompson, Lennon, Varga, Hartson, Sutton. It will be laugh to see how Celtic get on in Europe this season.

As for Rangers well at least they are looking to the future and have brought in a few younger players who so far look the part.

Re Celtic and Rangers in the premiership. True, they would benefit from the extra Sky money they would get, but that aside, if they went in now they would be mid table at the very best.

Taking nothing away from Celtic's run to the UEFA cup final, they only have high intense high pressure games in the old firm fixtures and in Europe, they can rest players v Livingston or Dundee etc, whereas blackburn for instance couldnt afford to do that.

An example being in the UEFA cup Celtic may play Dunfermiline on the Saturday before and Blackburn could be playing Villa/Newcastle/Spurs.

scotsboy
23-May-05, 15:02
This will be Blackburn who were put out of Europe a few seasons back by Hellsingborg was it? I seem to recall Chelsea struggling to success against Israeli and Swedish teams in the noit too distant pass. Didn't Keltic dispose of Liverpool and Blackburn on their way to Seville? Didn't Rangers turn Leeds (then the Champions of England) over?
I think many of you are starting to believe the propaganda fed to you by the English based media.

Alexander Rowe
23-May-05, 15:11
This will be Blackburn who were put out of Europe a few seasons back by Hellsingborg was it? I seem to recall Chelsea struggling to success against Israeli and Swedish teams in the noit too distant pass. Didn't Keltic dispose of Liverpool and Blackburn on their way to Seville? Didn't Rangers turn Leeds (then the Champions of England) over?
I think many of you are starting to believe the propaganda fed to you by the English based media.

My point was, Rangers and Celtic should have an advantage when it comes to Europe as they dont have the physical and mental tiredness of clubs in the higher profile/better leagues. More often than not they are 3 or 4-0 up with half an hour left in domestic games.

Re Chelsea, in both legs of both games against those two clubs they put out near reserve sides. Six first team players didnt even travel to Tel Aviv for the first leg.

scorrie
23-May-05, 15:25
I disagee with your statement regarding Rangers & Keltic in the Premiership. IF they were permitted in the proemiership then they would attract the same level of finance as other teams that play in that league, they would also be able to attract better players due to the high profile of the league - they would be major players in the Premiership.

However I do not wnat it to happen, as I value Rangers as a Scottish team..........something that few others seen to.

By the way Scorrie, go on tell us what team you support :roll:

Whether or not Barcelona will be cacking themselves is not the point, the point is that they are entitled to play in the competition.

Celtic and Rangers already attract bigger home gates than most Premiership teams and better players means bigger wages still. Leeds Utd spent a fortune and look where they are now!!

Sure Rangers are entitled to play, just like every other Scottish Champion every year, please remind me of the last time they actually got to the final?

scorrie
23-May-05, 16:07

Not again!! The old "individual" match quotes. Sure, Scotland famously beat England, then World Champions, but it meant nothing, other than a bit of folklore for perennial losers. England did the business when it mattered.

Remember the Rangers game from earlier in the UEFA cup, where they scraped home on penalties from Maritimo after losing the first leg 1-0 in front of a fervent home gate of 5000 ?

Also the I seem to recall Rangers being eliminated early by Viktoria Zizkov, that mighty Czech outfit, in a previous foray into Europe!!

The fact is that the overall record of Scottish teams in Europe for the past 20 years is very poor and fans only seem to recall the occasional win that meant little in the long run. Did Rangers go on to win it after beating Leeds, did Celtic go on to win it after beating Liverpool?

Any thoughts that Scottish teams are not far behind the best in Europe is based on flimsy, one match, evidence.

Apocalypse
23-May-05, 16:39
Scorrie this is rangers 51st league win y do u hink we have 5 stars above ur badge for so i hink rangers are gd enough and if rangers and celtic went down 2 the champions league they would get alot higher than the top 6 [lol]

scotsboy
23-May-05, 17:24
Well Rangers lost in the semi final when they put Leeds out, to the eventual winners Marseille, and Keltic went on to the final when they put out Liverpool.

The Czechs.......are you saying they are not very good at football?

Your individual game theory seems to be changing.......sure the league is made up of individual games :roll:

You stuill have not told us the team you support........all in the course of objectivity ;)

Whatever your opinion, if you support a Scottish team it counts for NOTHING as Rangers are THE CHAMPIONS, and therefore BEST team in the coutry.........bar none :cool:

Whether they win lose or draw in Europe, they have earned the right.

jambo
23-May-05, 17:47
teddybear 1873 look at my name ;)

scorrie
23-May-05, 18:09
Scorrie this is rangers 51st league win y do u hink we have 5 stars above ur badge for so i hink rangers are gd enough and if rangers and celtic went down 2 the champions league they would get alot higher than the top 6 [lol]

51 wins against the same old poor opposition. I assume by Champions League you actually mean the English premiership? I am an ex bookie and would wager you as much as you want that Celtic and Rangers would fail to reach the top six with the teams they possess matched against England's best. Remember Man Utd, Arsenal et al will bemaking new signings to try to catch up with Chelsea and that league does not have any Dundees or Dunfermlines in it.

Rangers could as well have won the Scottish title 100 times but that does not change the fact that they have NEVER won Europe's top tournament and I expect they will be about 50/1 against winning it next year. I know I'm not tempted by those odds!!

scorrie
23-May-05, 18:42
Well Rangers lost in the semi final when they put Leeds out, to the eventual winners Marseille, and Keltic went on to the final when they put out Liverpool.

The Czechs.......are you saying they are not very good at football?

Your individual game theory seems to be changing.......sure the league is made up of individual games :roll:

You stuill have not told us the team you support........all in the course of objectivity ;)

Whatever your opinion, if you support a Scottish team it counts for NOTHING as Rangers are THE CHAMPIONS, and therefore BEST team in the coutry.........bar none :cool:

Whether they win lose or draw in Europe, they have earned the right.

Semi finals and runners up are NOT wins!!

The team I support is irrelevant, I write as a total neutral and from a point of total realism not through green or blue tinted specs as most seem to do.

My individual game theory is not changing, the total points scored decides the league, not any individual result!! Celtic beat Rangers during the run-in but it was totally irrelevant at the end of the day.

Please list all the Czech European Champions, I don't recall any and Viktoria Zizkov were in the Czech 2nd division the last time I remember looking.

Sad to see fans with no ambition apart from being better than the other mob. Small time mentality breeds small time ambitions and leads to small time achievements. No wonder Scotland are ranked 85th in the world!! Even Togo and Kenya are higher ranked.

2little2late
23-May-05, 19:22
Let's face facts, Rangers are Celtic are both rubbish.

scotsboy
23-May-05, 20:23
You don’t write as a neutral as your stance is firmly opposed to both Rangers and Keltic. You are obviously embarrassed to share with use your allegiance.

I don’t recall stating that there were any Czech champions, but simply asked whether you consider the standard of Czech football to be poor. Two time European Champions Nottingham Forest finished 2nd bottom of the Coca Cola Championship – does that mean they were rubbish when they won the EC?

What makes you think fans of the old firm have no ambition? Of course fans of both Rangers and Keltic would like to see their teams do well in Europe –where has it been stated otherwise? If the point you are trying to make is that Rangers fans should not be celebrating winning the league, because in the bigger scheme of things they will do nothing in Europe, then fair enough……….but I have yet to see any team (from Primary School level to full International) fail to celebrate a victory.

The reasons Scotland are ranked so low in the World Rankings has nothing to do with fans of the old firm, and to allude to such is ignorant in the extreme. The problem with the Scottish National team is the defeatist attitude of the numpties that are the Tartan Army, willing to put up with terrible performances because “ we are only a small nation” and “nobody expects us to win” and “ we are only interested in having a good time” – actually exactly the kind of non-ambition you are talking about.

You cannot predict any Scottish team’s success or failure in the EPL as they are not part of the set up and probably never will be. I reiterate that any Scottish team that played in the EPL would have the benefits of sponsorship that goes with it and would be a major pull for any international player.

My team won the League and League Cup this year Scorrie, they will be playing in Europe next season…………I doubt yours will.

Apocalypse
23-May-05, 21:23
The scottish fans are the best fans in the world unlek e english even wen scotland are losin we are still in high spirt...and its not the scottish fans that go abroad and reck other countries wen there team loses are they....bad loser e english thats all they are [lol]

Anne_Mas
23-May-05, 21:50
The scottish fans are the best fans in the world unlek e english even wen scotland are losin we are still in high spirt...and its not the scottish fans that go abroad and reck other countries wen there team loses are they....bad loser e english thats all they are [lol]

I agree with Apocalypse here. Never heard Scotland fans making trouble, unlike the English.... (sorry to put it like this)

teddybear1873
23-May-05, 21:51
teddybear 1873 look at my name ;)

ok i have looked at your name.......now what

golach
23-May-05, 22:15
who said cheats never win ;)

Thon Linesman was right [lol]

Golach a good Hibby

Brizer2k2
23-May-05, 22:22
more importantly The Arabs stayed up and Dundee went down.

Celtic next on Saturday !!!

:D

Rheghead
23-May-05, 23:00

My memory is still fresh of seeing the Wembley goalposts being demolished by the Tartan army. Come on Apocalypse, the media have created an image of the English fan abroad substantiated by terrible violence by English fans but lets get it fair, all countries have their lunatic fringe.

scorrie
24-May-05, 01:14
You don’t write as a neutral as your stance is firmly opposed to both Rangers and Keltic. You are obviously embarrassed to share with use your allegiance.

I don’t recall stating that there were any Czech champions, but simply asked whether you consider the standard of Czech football to be poor. Two time European Champions Nottingham Forest finished 2nd bottom of the Coca Cola Championship – does that mean they were rubbish when they won the EC?

What makes you think fans of the old firm have no ambition? Of course fans of both Rangers and Keltic would like to see their teams do well in Europe –where has it been stated otherwise? If the point you are trying to make is that Rangers fans should not be celebrating winning the league, because in the bigger scheme of things they will do nothing in Europe, then fair enough……….but I have yet to see any team (from Primary School level to full International) fail to celebrate a victory.

The reasons Scotland are ranked so low in the World Rankings has nothing to do with fans of the old firm, and to allude to such is ignorant in the extreme. The problem with the Scottish National team is the defeatist attitude of the numpties that are the Tartan Army, willing to put up with terrible performances because “ we are only a small nation” and “nobody expects us to win” and “ we are only interested in having a good time” – actually exactly the kind of non-ambition you are talking about.

You cannot predict any Scottish team’s success or failure in the EPL as they are not part of the set up and probably never will be. I reiterate that any Scottish team that played in the EPL would have the benefits of sponsorship that goes with it and would be a major pull for any international player.

My team won the League and League Cup this year Scorrie, they will be playing in Europe next season…………I doubt yours will.

As stated I write as a neutral, this may seem impossible to some people but it is easy when you are a total realist and not clouded by childlike faith in one particular team.

Obviously as years roll on fortunes can change but my point was that Viktoria Zizkov ended up in the second division pretty soon after they played Rangers and in the Uefa rankings they were in a very lowly position. This point raised by me concerned club football, not international, the two cannot be compared. eg France have a good international record but a poor club record.

Celtic and Rangers fans have one priority, that their team beat the other. If you cannot accept that you must be living in a dream.

Your point about Scotland proves, rather than devalues my comment.

As for being unable to predict Celtic and Ranger fate in the Premiership, it is quite clear you know nothing about bookmaking. Bookmakers are regularly asked to price up matches between teams from different countries every year in European competitions, how could they possibly do that based on your logic? If Rangers and Celtic were to be included in the Premiership tomorrow the bookies would have prices for their success or lack of it the same day. Your comment is clearly illogical.

Do me a favour and get a grip on reality, your post is simply a defiant rant with not a strand of logic in it. You do not know which team I follow yet you seem confident they will not be in Europe next year!! Well done Nostrodamus!!

I reckon I checked close on 100,000 football coupons in the course of my bookmaking days. Usually around 66 matches on a coupon and three prices for each match. That's around 2 million different possible outcomes all priced up. If that does not qualify me to predict Rangers' and Celtic's chances of success anywhere then I don't know what does.

George Brims
24-May-05, 02:09
Since the discussion has strayed from club football to international, I'd like to sound out people's opinions on the following proposition. The SPL is too small to produce really competitive players who can contribute to a solid international team. Since each team plays such a small number of other teams each season, players get far too used to simply attacking the weaknesses or avoiding the strengths of the small pool of other players they face week in week out, and are not able to adapt when thrown onto the big stage of international play.

George (closet Dons supporter)

scotsboy
24-May-05, 05:09
As stated I write as a neutral, this may seem impossible to some people but it is easy when you are a total realist and not clouded by childlike faith in one particular team.

I will accept this if you indeed do not support or favour any one team, since you choose not to provide any team you favour I then accpet you are not a football supporter.

Obviously as years roll on fortunes can change but my point was that Viktoria Zizkov ended up in the second division pretty soon after they played Rangers and in the Uefa rankings they were in a very lowly position. This point raised by me concerned club football, not international, the two cannot be compared. eg France have a good international record but a poor club record.

So in a one-off Viktoria Zizkov managed to bear Rangers :roll:

Celtic and Rangers fans have one priority, that their team beat the other. If you cannot accept that you must be living in a dream.

I must be living in a dream then :roll: If I want Rangers to win in Soctland they obviously have to beat Keltic, however I would value them to do better on a larger stage far more significantly. As a Rangers supporter I know this, as a non-football fan you can only provide us with your subjective opinion.

Your point about Scotland proves, rather than devalues my comment.

So you are talking about Scottish football in general, rather than the Old Firm :confused I think you will find that the Tartan Army accept defeat far easier than those of the Old Firm. Are you suggesting that Scottish teams are wasting their (and everyone else's) time by competing?

As for being unable to predict Celtic and Ranger fate in the Premiership, it is quite clear you know nothing about bookmaking. Bookmakers are regularly asked to price up matches between teams from different countries every year in European competitions, how could they possibly do that based on your logic? If Rangers and Celtic were to be included in the Premiership tomorrow the bookies would have prices for their success or lack of it the same day. Your comment is clearly illogical.

Ah, the one-off matches! But you see if Rangers and Keltic were actually playing in the EPL they would not be one-offs would they. There would be changes in parameters that could effect the game.

I should also state that the Bookies have NEVER made money form me ;)

Do me a favour and get a grip on reality, your post is simply a defiant rant with not a strand of logic in it. You do not know which team I follow yet you seem confident they will not be in Europe next year!! Well done Nostrodamus!

Well, if you are Scottish it can only be Hibs or Keltic and neither will do well in Europe.....or you could support an English team, but hold on you have already said that you are neutral so therefore have no interest in any one particular team.

I reckon I checked close on 100,000 football coupons in the course of my bookmaking days. Usually around 66 matches on a coupon and three prices for each match. That's around 2 million different possible outcomes all priced up. If that does not qualify me to predict Rangers' and Celtic's chances of success anywhere then I don't know what does.

Congratulations, did you enjoy checking all those? Not as much as I do when I go to watch football in Europe.

Come down from your ivory tower my friend, there is a place for bookies in society, but it is somewhere near the bottom of the pile.

scotsboy
24-May-05, 07:18
I tend to side with Rheghead on the subject of football supporters, the vast majority of England fans are decent enough.

Alexander Rowe
24-May-05, 08:46
Re England fans, the majority are decent and well behaved. The only trouble they were involved in during Euro 2004 was out at some holiday resort if I remember correctly, and many said at the time it wasnt even football fans but more likely groups of lads over on a holiday. Can you tell me any trouble they have been involved in with club sides in Europe this year ?

Every team has a minority, there has been trouble at many SPL games this year, Celtic Rangers the second last old firm game in Merchant City at the Lokomtiv bar. Hibs Hearts nearly every game played, even last week Hearts fans attacking Celtic fans before and after the game at tynecastle, the Dundee derby, hibs Aberdeen etc etc. So it does go on with scottish football fans.

Scotsboy, of course Scorrie can have an opinion on football without telling us who he supports and from reading what he has posted I'd safely say he is a football supporter.

scotsboy
24-May-05, 08:48
I know Alexander, but that makes his opinion subjective ;)

scorrie
24-May-05, 10:26
I know Alexander, but that makes his opinion subjective ;)

Not at all. As a bookmaker one has to compile the odds based solely on the facts and form. There is no room for favourite teams or horses influencing the calculations. It is a job most football fans would be good at because they let the heart rule the head and that leads to broke bookies.

I am finished with this thread, it is wandering all over the place, even into the place bookies have in society. I will just say most bookies are rather well off and care not about where you place them on the ladder of mankind!!

ps Groundskeeper Willie from the Simpsons supports Aberdeen, if that helps you make a decision on his subjectivity LOL

scotsboy
24-May-05, 10:51
I'm finished with it as well, as I am off to the Champions League Final in Europe.

A wee aside, drug dealers also appear to be very wealthy, it does not make their trade any more palatable. ;)

dogman
24-May-05, 12:57
stop greetin and celebrate the champs, and the bonni gud weather. we are the people. ah bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy nah nah nah. stroops.

scorrie
24-May-05, 14:01
I'm finished with it as well, as I am off to the Champions League Final in Europe.

A wee aside, drug dealers also appear to be very wealthy, it does not make their trade any more palatable. ;)

Bookmaking is perfectly legal. Nobody is forced into making a bet. Enjoy the match, it will make a change watching some real quality LOL

jambo
24-May-05, 18:10
yes teddybear i support hearts not keltic ;) yes golach it was neyer a penalty ;)

scotsboy
24-May-05, 18:33
Bookmaking is perfectly legal. Nobody is forced into making a bet. Enjoy the match, it will make a change watching some real quality LOL

I am hoping the game will be quality, but you can never tell. I watch a fair bit of football Scorrie, unfortunatley not very much of it in Scotland these days. After Liverpool V AC Milan its off to Bahrain V Japan a week on friday
:cool:

Alli
24-May-05, 18:45
Mon THE HIBEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jambo
24-May-05, 22:05
yes nice to see hubs in europe once every ten years [lol]

Highland Laddie
24-May-05, 22:32
players who were useless in England, ie Thompson, Lennon, Varga, Hartson, Sutton.

Aye, all grand Scottish names for a Scottish Premier league !!!!!

More nationalities than clegs on cow dung.

Dons_Lad
25-May-05, 11:01
Doesna put me up nor doon who won that title, the battle for 3rd place was just as exciting seeing as though for years we've had doom and gloom at Pittodrie. I agree with the guy who said that it was fought out by two mediocre teams as let's face it, both Glasgow sides can't cut it in Europe and next season will be no different. Well done to them though but we won't stop hearing about it for ages now!

COME ON EH DONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!