PDA

View Full Version : A brilliant web site - weep Caithness

wavy davy
30-Jan-16, 00:32
http://www.shetland.org/

*Martin*
31-Jan-16, 15:07
I'd assume (and it's only an assumption) that Shetland.org has had quite a significant amount of funding to have such a professional design. That site has cost in the thousands to design and build.

Caithness.org on the other hand was designed by Niall as a hobby on a fairly limited budget in comparison to Shetland.org

While the monetary investment may be less, the amount of time invested by the Fernie's is massive.

You really can't compare the two.

Perhaps instead of finding fault, you could find a solution?
Learn to code like Niall did and either contribute to caithness.org or build an alternative!
No interest in coding? Come up with a way to raise money to finance a new site!

richardj
31-Jan-16, 15:18
Martin is correct in that http://sheltand.org is an expensive website to develop, my guess is that it will be in the region of £160,000 to £200,000 or a lot more for this website excluding maintenance charges, however for a commercial website it is very good and probably provides good value for money. If you consider the cost of advertising on TV or through Google / Bing then it is a reasonable cost for a tourism website attracting visitors who spend millions. I do like the Sheltand.org website.

I am sure that the comment "weep Caithness" was not aimed at Niall or Caithness.org but at the tourism websites by Visit Scotland covering Caithness ... when was the last time you saw a visit Scotland web page on Caithness? Or watched an advert on TV promoting Caithness?

Money is spent by VisitScotland promoting Orkney, but I doubt they spend much money promoting Caithness (in my view).

We all love Caithness, so I guess it is down to individuals to promote Caithness in a positive manner on twitter, facebook and on blogs. But also on Caithness.org by publishing great pictures and information on Caithness.

*Martin*
31-Jan-16, 21:12
I am sure that the comment "weep Caithness" was not aimed at Niall or Caithness.org but at the tourism websites by Visit Scotland covering Caithness

Apologies, if this was your intent I missed it.

wavy davy
31-Jan-16, 23:55
I'd assume (and it's only an assumption) that Shetland.org has had quite a significant amount of funding to have such a professional design. That site has cost in the thousands to design and build.

Caithness.org on the other hand was designed by Niall as a hobby on a fairly limited budget in comparison to Shetland.org

While the monetary investment may be less, the amount of time invested by the Fernie's is massive.

You really can't compare the two.

Perhaps instead of finding fault, you could find a solution?
Learn to code like Niall did and either contribute to caithness.org or build an alternative!
No interest in coding? Come up with a way to raise money to finance a new site!

I was in no way taking a swipe at caithness.org. I admire what the Fernies have achieved. As you said 'You really can't compare the two.' and I had no intention of doing so

I was merely pointing people towards a very good site and bemoaning the fact that people in Caithness lack the vision, cohesion and fund raising ability to come up with a similar resource. That's all.

davem
01-Feb-16, 00:36
Venture North is building toward that very thing.....

davem
03-Feb-16, 19:55
Checked the music side - all of the Shetland events haven't been updated for this year, no use having an all singing and dancing site if it isn't kept up to date!