View Full Version : Struggle after couple fell out

12-Jan-16, 23:09
Accused won't go to jail says sheriff

A MAN fell out with the wife he claimed had been having an affair while he was doing his duty in the navy, a court heard today.
The incident in which Paul Farmer struggled with wife Chararia who struck her head on a door frame was the climax to difficulties the couple had been having in their relationship, Wick Sheriff Court was told.
Farmer, 46, admitted, on indictment, a charge of culpable and reckless conduct and had his case continued for a background report.
A plea of not guilty to a further charge of assault, alleging he repeatedly struck his wife, pushed her head under water and threatened to kill her, was accepted by fiscal David Barclay.
The assault committed by Farmer, occurred, when he and his wife were living at 155 Kent Drive, in Helensburgh, during August 1990. The accused had married his 19-year-old bride, a year earlier and their first child was born subsequently.
Mr Barclay said that during August 1990, there was a discussion between the couple which led to a confrontation when things "got out of hand". "In the course of the struggle, Mrs Farmer hit her head on the door frame sustaining a bruise which didn't require medical treatment" said the fiscal.
The police were informed and the fiscal said that in a lengthy statement made to officers, Farmer told that while he was away in the navy, he had been"led to believe that there may have been some relationship developed between his wife and another person"
Mr Barclay added: "That was possibly what lead to the confrontation although there may have been some other lifestyle disagreements in any event."
Solicitor Fiona MacDonald confirmed that Mrs Farmer had had an affair and a question had arisen over Mrs Farmer's ability to look after their child during that time.
Strenuous efforts were made by the navy and marriage guidance to keep the family together but said Ms MacDonald: "Mrs Farmer only seemed interested in putting her own interests first.." The couple who had had three more children, byt this time and as the accused was concerned about the level of care they were receiving, arrangements were made to have them looked after. They were currently residing with the accused's new partner with additional support from the accused's parents. The couple split up in 1995.
Farmer, a first offender, was said to be no longer in the Royal Navy, had been doing contract work in Carlisle but hoped to obtain employment nearerat Spittal in Caithness, near his home at 38 Traill Street, Castletown..
Calling for the background report on the accused, Sheriff Andrew Berry, who commented on the "circuitous nature" of the case, said he wanted to satisfy himself there were "no ongoing concerns".
The sheriff added that he was not contemplating a custodial sentence when the case returns to court on February 5.