PDA

View Full Version : Tesco Labour and the electon

peter macdonald
25-Apr-07, 09:58
From todays Scotsman reading this I bet the old time Labour guys must be doing somersaults in their graves

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=635452007

PM

j4bberw0ck
25-Apr-07, 14:09
From todays Scotsman reading this I bet the old time Labour guys must be doing somersaults in their graves

PM

Is this politicians on a BOGOF? A free bottle of Tesco's cheapest and most disgusting Lambrusco if you vote for the Union? :lol:

All this stuff about business leaders is a shame, really, because like politicians, they're not delivering any sort of factual or reasoned overview, but promoting whichever cause it is they think will most benefit their companies / profits / returns to shareholders. So what they think (or say they think) is as much relevant as what McConnell or Salmond or Goldie think. Which is to say, not very. When push comes to shove the idea of a democracy is we're all free to make our own mistakes. And pay for them.

golach
25-Apr-07, 14:43

PM
Does anyone give a hoot about this, it will not affect the way I vote.
Just who cares? This is journalism trying to sell newspapers in my opinion [disgust]

Rheghead
25-Apr-07, 17:59
All this stuff about business leaders is a shame, really, because like politicians, they're not delivering any sort of factual or reasoned overview, but promoting whichever cause it is they think will most benefit their companies / profits / returns to shareholders.

I guess the reasoning behind the focus on business leaders is because they are the experts in what they do and it is what they do which creates money. Without money you wouldn't have politics at all. Idi Amin and others of his anti British ilk have paid the price of ignoring the business community for the sake of nationalist ideals.

Tristan
25-Apr-07, 18:06
When Quebec was making noises about talking about separation with Canada many businesses got up and left. It took a few years for Quebec to recover. I would imagine there could be a real risk of the same thing happening here.

Schoolhouse Blues
25-Apr-07, 21:48
When Quebec was making noises about talking about separation with Canada many businesses got up and left. It took a few years for Quebec to recover. I would imagine there could be a real risk of the same thing happening here.

I don't think businesses would get up and leave. Already 100 prominent businessmen have backed Alex Salmond and the SNP in the lead up to this election - the advert that prompted the 'pan-unionist' rebuff today. To quote Brian Taylor (BBC Scotland Political journalist), it's rather a case of "I'll take your Sir Tom Farmer and raise you a head of Tesco"!

These things are unlikely to change people's opinions, just bolster the intentions of existing supporters on either side.

That said, we were told that thousands of businesses would up sticks and leave Scotland if we created an extra level of government and beaurocracy with devolution - hasn't happened.

Tristan
25-Apr-07, 21:53
I don't think businesses would get up and leave. Already 100 prominent businessmen have backed Alex Salmond and the SNP in the lead up to this election - the advert that prompted the 'pan-unionist' rebuff today. To quote Brian Taylor (BBC Scotland Political journalist), it's rather a case of "I'll take your Sir Tom Farmer and raise you a head of Tesco"!

These things are unlikely to change people's opinions, just bolster the intentions of existing supporters on either side.

That said, we were told that thousands of businesses would up sticks and leave Scotland if we created an extra level of government and beaurocracy with devolution - hasn't happened.

There are a lot of good reasons to stay, but buisness is buisness. They will go where there it is easy to make money and there is stability.
Quebec is a huge province, with vast natural resources and a huge trading partner as a neighour. If they left there, they could just as easily leave a small country like ours.

Schoolhouse Blues
25-Apr-07, 22:10
There are a lot of good reasons to stay, but buisness is buisness. They will go where there it is easy to make money and there is stability.
Quebec is a huge province, with vast natural resources and a huge trading partner as a neighour. If they left there, they could just as easily leave a small country like ours.

You are most welcome to predict doom and gloom (we're aaal dooooomed!), but I can just as easily counter that an SNP goverment next week will introduce fair taxation and reduced business tax. That would drive an INFLUX of companies to move their HQ to Scotland and promote business growth among our existing companies.

And the purpose of that - would be to create a Monte Carlo-style haven for the rich? No. To create that conditions for a vibrant, socially just north european independent nation - like the scandinavian or irish nations. No need to draw parallels with the other side of the Atlantic.

Tristan
25-Apr-07, 22:28
You are most welcome to predict doom and gloom (we're aaal dooooomed!), but I can just as easily counter that an SNP goverment next week will introduce fair taxation and reduced business tax. That would drive an INFLUX of companies to move their HQ to Scotland and promote business growth among our existing companies.

And the purpose of that - would be to create a Monte Carlo-style haven for the rich? No. To create that conditions for a vibrant, socially just north european independent nation - like the scandinavian or irish nations. No need to draw parallels with the other side of the Atlantic.

So we agree that business will stay where it makes financial sense to stay.
I didn't think the Scandinavian countries were the product of a recent split. Nor am predicting doom and gloom - simply looking at a historical model that shouldn't be ignored. Creating a vibrant country should be goal of any politician but the stability and sustainability issues will have an impact.

JAWS
25-Apr-07, 23:51
Somehow I can't see a mad rush of the rich to abandon Monte Carlo to bring their luxury yachts to Leith Marina.

golach
26-Apr-07, 00:15
Somehow I can't see a mad rush of the rich to abandon Monte Carlo to bring their luxury yachts to Leith Marina.
Excuse me, we do not have a marina in Leith, too much excrament in the water also, but South Queensferry has one

Schoolhouse Blues
26-Apr-07, 01:34
So we agree that business will stay where it makes financial sense to stay.

Tristan,

Yes we do. I don't have the detail of the Bloc Quebecois policies for goverment, but I stongly suspect the SNP programme for government is significantly different with respect to business lower taxation and growth.

That will make the difference between the Quebec exodus you described and the example we can expect with an SNP government. That is why over 100 business representatives are happy to publically back the SNP.

So yes, while business will generally stay if it makes financial sense, you can see that it's well within our abilities for Scotland to implement fiscal policies that do make remaining and investing in Scotland to be the right answer. The SNP wants to put Scotland at a competetive advantage for business growth in a manner similar to that implemented in the Celtic Tiger economy of Ireland. Hardly matters when Ireland was Independent, it's having the right environment for growth that will let Scotland flourish.

Scotland could have a very steady hand on the tiller in May if Alex Salmond is made First Minsiter with people like Nicola Sturgeon and John Swinney at his side.

(Probably not a yacht tiller though)