PDA

View Full Version : Should the Whaling row end Wick's twinning link with Klaksvik

richardj
08-Jan-16, 22:38
The BBC has reported that the Whaling row could end Wick's twinning link with Klaksvik as Gail Ross called for last year. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-35261244

So what would you do? personally I think whales need and should be protected and should not be hunted for any reason by The Faroes, Iceland, Japan or any other Nation, so my vote would be Yes to break the twinning link with Klaksvik.

bekisman
09-Jan-16, 00:04
Think the answer's here "In a report to Wednesday's meeting, council officers said contact between Wick and Klaksvik had been "limited" for several years.They said the last formal visit took place in 2001 and fishing links between the two places were no longer relevant because Wick was not now a designated fish landing port." Twinning anywhere is a waste of time and money; usually just a junket for Councillors

2little2late
09-Jan-16, 02:50
Heilanladdie's comment is priceless. http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Wicks-twinning-link-back-under-the-microscope-08012016.htm

janeyj
09-Jan-16, 12:25
If the Faroes wish to remain in the dark ages, and will not listen to reason, then maybe it's time for Wick to move on. Could this be an opportunity for Wick to find a new twinning partner that would benefit the local economy and also give our local schools the opportunity to exchange students and broaden their life experiences? I wonder if something really positive could come out of this?

crichton
09-Jan-16, 17:43
Irrespective of individuals views on whaling, I'm struggling to understand why our elected councillors are wasting tax payers money on an issue that they cannot influence. I would rather they paid for their lunches and focused on ensuring their own house was in order and give me value for my tax money.

janeyj
09-Jan-16, 19:55
Irrespective of individuals views on whaling, I'm struggling to understand why our elected councillors are wasting tax payers money on an issue that they cannot influence. I would rather they paid for their lunches and focused on ensuring their own house was in order and give me value for my tax money.

A quick show of hands should do. Then on to 'Any Other Business'.

davth
09-Jan-16, 22:59
If the Faroes wish to remain in the dark ages, and will not listen to reason, then maybe it's time for Wick to move on. Could this be an opportunity for Wick to find a new twinning partner that would benefit the local economy and also give our local schools the opportunity to exchange students and broaden their life experiences? I wonder if something really positive could come out of this?

Perhaps somewhere in Columbia, wickers are big fans of their marching powder.

sids
09-Jan-16, 23:36
Perhaps somewhere in Columbia, wickers are big fans of their marching powder.

What about one of those towns in Russia where mature housewives are wanting to date me?

rogermellie
10-Jan-16, 00:31
Councillor Ross will no doubt twin Wick with somewhere more glamourous than Klaksvik for future junkets

she even managed to twin these 2 car parking spaces !

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10334385_577438279071308_5997466311724414737_n.jpg ?oh=77ccc86bfe2ef9b5c27c6fa2d311e5a3&oe=573FDCF6

(picture courtesy of Parked Like a Knob Caithness)

Kenn
10-Jan-16, 13:20
Denmark is a member of The EU which is fully commited to a non whaling policy, Faroes are a dpendency of Denmark so how can they say they are entitled to kill cetaceans?
Saying that it is a historical and cultural matter does n't wash either, many nations including britain used to hunt them but have moved on years since.

janeyj
10-Jan-16, 14:19
Denmark is a member of The EU which is fully commited to a non whaling policy, Faroes are a dpendency of Denmark so how can they say they are entitled to kill cetaceans?
Saying that it is a historical and cultural matter does n't wash either, many nations including britain used to hunt them but have moved on years since.

Well said!!!

janeyj
11-Jan-16, 13:49
So today the Mayor of Klaksvig has said that he wants a visit from Wick councillors so he can explain to them why slaughtering of whales is ok! Perhaps a better idea would be for the appropriate EU department to visit Klaksvig and threaten the town with the withdrawal of all their EU subsidies if they continue to ignore their 21st century responsibilities and remain in the dark ages!

rob murray
11-Jan-16, 15:03
There has been wide spread organised activities, over the recent past to stop the "grind" ( whale killing ) see https://www.causes.com/actions/1728109-end-the-faroe-islands-whale-dolphin-killing-festival Wick has to severe ties or would be seen as condoning what a largish % of people are actively resisting. We should be twinned with a town similar to Wick ie a former fishing port trying to re generate itself, maybe councillors could learn a trick or two.

richardj
11-Jan-16, 21:27
Rob I totally agree ...

There has been wide spread organised activities, over the recent past to stop the "grind" ( whale killing ) see https://www.causes.com/actions/1728109-end-the-faroe-islands-whale-dolphin-killing-festival Wick has to severe ties or would be seen as condoning what a largish % of people are actively resisting. We should be twinned with a town similar to Wick ie a former fishing port trying to re generate itself, maybe councillors could learn a trick or two.

gleeber
11-Jan-16, 23:03
As much as the whale slaughter is wrong in my mind I have no right as a meat eater to impose my morality on another culture and considering I live in a country that sucks up to barbaric regimes that beheads people 50 at a time isnt it a bit cheeky at the least for Councillor Ross to send a threatening letter to the mayor of Klaksvik without even consulting her colleagues in the rest of the county?
The Wick councillors have shown a complete disregard for diplomacy and because of that the only way out for them is an apology to the people of the Faroes and an apology to the people in the wider county of Caithness. Fat chance I know.
As a matter of interest how many Wickers petitioned for their civic leaders to take this unilateral action?

dc1
11-Jan-16, 23:19
I for one never asked them to speak on my behalf and I have lived in Caithness all of my 71 yrs

Kenn
12-Jan-16, 01:29
Lol dc1, you always were an independent person !
Trust you are keeping well.

janeyj
13-Jan-16, 21:03
So Wick councillors have deferred any decision on cutting links with klaksvik until they have had a video chat with the town's mayor. Thank goodness our councillors wont be flying off to the Faroes. Who knows WHAT might have been on the menu at their welcome lunch!!! I wonder if our councillors have fallen into a bit of a trap here? We all know that Klaksvik will not stop the slaughter. So should Gail have sent Klaksvik an ultimatum? Myself I would say no. Ultimatums just put people's backs up and their views become even more entrenched. The right letter might simply have said 'we are ending our arrangement' and 'goodbye'. As for Roger Saxon fretting over whether Faroese fishermen will continue to use Scrabster. Does he REALLY think that Faroese fishermen will stop using his port over an issue involving Wick? If Roger really is so worried perhaps he should propose that Thurso twin with Klaksvik instead.

dandod
13-Jan-16, 23:41
So Wick councillors have deferred any decision on cutting links with klaksvik until they have had a video chat with the town's mayor. Thank goodness our councillors wont be flying off to the Faroes. Who knows WHAT might have been on the menu at their welcome lunch!!! I wonder if our councillors have fallen into a bit of a trap here? We all know that Klaksvik will not stop the slaughter. So should Gail have sent Klaksvik an ultimatum? Myself I would say no. Ultimatums just put people's backs up and their views become even more entrenched. The right letter might simply have said 'we are ending our arrangement' and 'goodbye'. As for Roger Saxon fretting over whether Faroese fishermen will continue to use Scrabster. Does he REALLY think that Faroese fishermen will stop using his port over an issue involving Wick? If Roger really is so worried perhaps he should propose that Thurso twin with Klaksvik instead.

I totally agree, just twin it with Thurso instead. I really feel that there should be no other option but to end the link, I'm disappointed with the councillors for not having the backbone to end it today.

theone
14-Jan-16, 02:57
As much as the whale slaughter is wrong in my mind I have no right as a meat eater to impose my morality on another culture and considering I live in a country that sucks up to barbaric regimes that beheads people 50 at a time isnt it a bit cheeky at the least for Councillor Ross to send a threatening letter to the mayor of Klaksvik without even consulting her colleagues in the rest of the county?
The Wick councillors have shown a complete disregard for diplomacy and because of that the only way out for them is an apology to the people of the Faroes and an apology to the people in the wider county of Caithness. Fat chance I know.
As a matter of interest how many Wickers petitioned for their civic leaders to take this unilateral action?

Excellent Post.

A large proportion of people opposed to whale slaughter will be happily tucking into beef burgers and haddock suppers this weekend without a hint of irony. These people think they have the superior mindset to believe THEIR way is best ant that THEY can control what other peoples and cultures can and cannot do.

Perhaps these elitists of morality should spend some time walking around the supermarkets of Wick and try to find beef and other meats that have NOT been classified Halal? I wonder what the people of the Faroe Isles would think about this type of slaughter?

Regardless of peoples views on this, or what we can eat, I think it's fair to say it has NOTHING to do with local politics. As for Councillor Ross, I think it's clear to see this had nothing to do with consultation of her electorate or other members of the council - even if this was a local government matter which it is not.

Gail Ross has well publicised ambitions to join higher levels of government. This is nothing more than a publicity exercise for her to raise her profile within the SNP and seek the nomination to stand for parliament. Nothing to do with Whales. Nothing to do with Wick.

I long for the days when members of the local council campaign for local matters that matter. Things that are the concern of those who they represent, and is the business of people at that level. Public facilities. Street cleanliness. Jobs in the area. People who serve the area for the good of the area, not to serve their own ambition and fuel their own egos.

I have no idea what the outcome of this whole debacle will be, but I'm absolutely sure that civic meetings, no doubt with grand dinners for Cllr Ross and her counterpart at the expense of the public purse would bring no good to the people of Wick. It would only draw cash and resource AWAY from the things our councillors should be worrying about.

richardj
14-Jan-16, 12:40
Gleeber you have a good point about people eating meat and fish and then they complain about another culture killing whales for food ... the difference is that whales are intelligent animals (just like many other animals including the human species) and also have complex social behaviour, they may even be as intelligent as humans, maybe more so. So for that reason and also to ensure the species is protected, whales should not be hunted.

There is absolutely no reason for whales to be hunted by the people of the Faroes or Iceland, they would make far more money from tourism and whale watching than by killing very intelligent mammals, and as far as Japan is concerned they are despicable in their behaviour and breaking international law with the excuse that it is for scientific research - just bullshit.

Just my opinion and hopefully more people will agree with my sentiments than disagree!

the_big_mac
14-Jan-16, 15:04
Whales may be as intelligent as humans?

Certain humans, maybe those that think whales are as intelligent as them.

janeyj
14-Jan-16, 16:21
Gleeber you have a good point about people eating meat and fish and then they complain about another culture killing whales for food ... the difference is that whales are intelligent animals (just like many other animals including the human species) and also have complex social behaviour, they may even be as intelligent as humans, maybe more so. So for that reason and also to ensure the species is protected, whales should not be hunted.

There is absolutely no reason for whales to be hunted by the people of the Faroes or Iceland, they would make far more money from tourism and whale watching than by killing very intelligent mammals, and as far as Japan is concerned they are despicable in their behaviour and breaking international law with the excuse that it is for scientific research - just bullshit.

Just my opinion and hopefully more people will agree with my sentiments than disagree!

Richard, I would hope that any compassionate person listening to your argument would agree with your sentiments. Thank you for starting this thread. The Faroese revel in encircling the whales, porpoises and dolphins before butchering them, adults and calves alike, until the sea turns red. Are we really in the year 2016? If Gail Ross has political motives in complaining about this practise, as stated by one poster, I do not care. If Gail has not consulted her constituents before writing to the Mayor of Klaksvik, as also stated previously, I do not care. If it is thought that Gail should stop meddling with the traditions of another country, as again has been stated, then.... I.... do..... not.... care.

Luv

Janey

rob murray
14-Jan-16, 16:35
Richard, I would hope that any compassionate person listening to your argument would agree with your sentiments. Thank you for starting this thread. The Faroese revel in encircling the whales, porpoises and dolphins before butchering them, adults and calves alike, until the sea turns red. Are we really in the year 2016? If Gail Ross has political motives in complaining about this practise, as stated by one poster, I do not care. If Gail has not consulted her constituents before writing to the Mayor of Klaksvik, as also stated previously, I do not care. If it is thought that Gail should stop meddling with the traditions of another country, as again has been stated, then.... I.... do..... not.... care.

Luv

Janey

Yep agree, but last year, in an open letter to Klaksvik, Mrs Ross said Wick did not want to be associated with the "disgusting spectacle of the slaughter of whales" without discussing the matter with other Caithness councillors, leading to todays "defered decision" pending a meeting with the mayor of Klaksvik mayor Jógvan Skorheim, who has said the links could be strengthened.....Cheezo...so theyre ( council committee ) basically admitting that this has been played wrong and badly handled and now theyre off to the Faroes at our expense to meet a guy who thinks links could be strengthened...what a waste of time, money and effort...we have to break off from them, do it politely but firmly. I mean what do we gain from the twinning ? A complete joke, a conference call followed by a polite thanks but no thanks letter would suffice.....I take it these people are aware public funds are scarce ??

richardj
14-Jan-16, 19:01
Rob you are probably correct that the Wick twinning with the Faroes does not provide a great deal for the people of Caithness in commercial / business terms, and Maybe Mrs Ross did jump the gun, but she has raised an important issue and for that I glad she did raise the issue.

On a related issue (i.e. about Whales) I read today on the BBC website that the Killer Whales that roam around Scotland are likely (or will) die out due to remnants of pollution caused by PCB chemicals around our coastline - article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35302957

The Guardian has a similar article on the same subject http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/14/uks-last-resident-killer-whales-doomed-to-extinction

I for one get excited about seeing Killer Whales around the Caithness coastline, and I still hope to see them off John O'Groats in the spring/early summer one year. To think that this family group will die out from pollutants that were banned in the 1980's is something we should all be concerned, and sad, about.

fender
14-Jan-16, 19:48
Yep agree, but last year, in an open letter to Klaksvik, Mrs Ross said Wick did not want to be associated with the "disgusting spectacle of the slaughter of whales" without discussing the matter with other Caithness councillors, leading to todays "defered decision" pending a meeting with the mayor of Klaksvik mayor Jógvan Skorheim, who has said the links could be strengthened.....Cheezo...so theyre ( council committee ) basically admitting that this has been played wrong and badly handled and now theyre off to the Faroes at our expense to meet a guy who thinks links could be strengthened...what a waste of time, money and effort...we have to break off from them, do it politely but firmly. I mean what do we gain from the twinning ? A complete joke, a conference call followed by a polite thanks but no thanks letter would suffice.....I take it these people are aware public funds are scarce ??

Couple of points Rob.

1. Mrs Ross did consult with the other 2 Wick Councillors.
2. No one is travelling to the Faroes to see the Mayor.

Thank you.

Rheghead
14-Jan-16, 20:32
Why can't Wick be twinned with a town where the weather is nice so our councillors have a nice place to visit on our account?

davth
14-Jan-16, 21:44
So were the wick people consulted on this matter or not?
If not Mrs Ross has lied in her letter to the mayor.

rob murray
15-Jan-16, 10:08
Couple of points Rob.

1. Mrs Ross did consult with the other 2 Wick Councillors.
2. No one is travelling to the Faroes to see the Mayor.

Thank you.

Thanks the press release yesterday must have been wrong then as thats where I got the information and directly qouted from

rob murray
15-Jan-16, 10:36
Rob you are probably correct that the Wick twinning with the Faroes does not provide a great deal for the people of Caithness in commercial / business terms, and Maybe Mrs Ross did jump the gun, but she has raised an important issue and for that I glad she did raise the issue.

On a related issue (i.e. about Whales) I read today on the BBC website that the Killer Whales that roam around Scotland are likely (or will) die out due to remnants of pollution caused by PCB chemicals around our coastline - article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35302957

The Guardian has a similar article on the same subject http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/14/uks-last-resident-killer-whales-doomed-to-extinction

I for one get excited about seeing Killer Whales around the Caithness coastline, and I still hope to see them off John O'Groats in the spring/early summer one year. To think that this family group will die out from pollutants that were banned in the 1980's is something we should all be concerned, and sad, about.

I did say in a previous post that Wick has to walk away othewise we will be seen as condoning the grind: " There has been wide spread organised activities, over the recent past to stop the "grind" ( whale killing ) see https://www.causes.com/actions/17281...lling-festival (https://www.causes.com/actions/1728109-end-the-faroe-islands-whale-dolphin-killing-festival) Wick has to severe ties or would be seen as condoning what a largish % of people are actively resisting. We should be twinned with a town similar to Wick ie a former fishing port trying to re generate itself, maybe councillors could learn a trick or two".

bekisman
15-Jan-16, 10:48
What's all the fuss about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaksv%C3%ADk according to this Wick is classed as a FORMER twined town. It certainly amuses me to think a Caithness Civic Leader will make any difference whatsoever to 'whaling' in the Faroes.. I watched Whaling Wars; Operation Ferocious Isles, so what difference outrageous indignation by a parochial minor politico will do I do not know.. jejune.
Having been with Mrs Beks on the last sailing from Scrabster to Torshavn with our car and spent a week driving around the Islands (at least I've been there!) it was disparaging when asked by the very pro-British people where we came from to be met with blank uncomprehending faces by saying "Thurso" or "Wick" - Scrabster; yes.
OK Whaling is wrong, but taking a pointless action (which by the link is a wee bit late) for mis-placed kudos will achieve nothing, and may well - knowing the phlegm of the Faroese - make them even more determined, but then, where's Caithness?
Anyone else on here been there out of interest?

badger
15-Jan-16, 11:53

Pigs are highly intelligent animals but that does not stop people eating them. On the rare occasions I buy something with a pork content I always ensure it is not EU, if it is I don't buy it as welfare standards on the continent are not as they should be. Even in this country pigs are generally not roaming free in fields before slaughter. At least the whales are free and living as intended before they are killed. We are doing massive damage to the oceans in many ways. The action of these Wick councillors is just gesture politics. If Cllr. Ross succeeds Gibson can we look forward to policy being dictated by social media?

gleeber
15-Jan-16, 12:55
To be fair and according to the report in todays Groat the 3 Wick councillors acted on behalf of the Wick people even though the tone of the original letter to the mayor of Klaksvik was insolent.
Councillor Macdonald spoke about being bombarded by emails and videos whilst councillor Ross said there had been an outpouring from the Wick people about the whaling practice. The Highland Council ward manager also told the meeting that the council had been informed of the councillors intentions to send the offensive letter and they had done nothing wrong.
None of us are happy with the way the whales are slaughtered so what's the hoohaw all about?
It seems to me it's about the way our elected officials deal with the powers bestowed on them by the people. Why they never considered informing the Wick community council or their councillor colleagues on the Highland council about the original letter has become the issue.

fender
15-Jan-16, 13:38
To be fair and according to the report in todays Groat the 3 Wick councillors acted on behalf of the Wick people even though the tone of the original letter to the mayor of Klaksvik was insolent.
Councillor Macdonald spoke about being bombarded by emails and videos whilst councillor Ross said there had been an outpouring from the Wick people about the whaling practice. The Highland Council ward manager also told the meeting that the council had been informed of the councillors intentions to send the offensive letter and they had done nothing wrong.
None of us are happy with the way the whales are slaughtered so what's the hoohaw all about?
It seems to me it's about the way our elected officials deal with the powers bestowed on them by the people. Why they never considered informing the Wick community council or their councillor colleagues on the Highland council about the original letter has become the issue.

Correct Gleeber.

Hindsight is a great gift not given to any but claimed by many.

gleeber
15-Jan-16, 18:52
Mind you the Wickers have a short memory.
Life is life no matter what level of intelligence you attach to it.
I love herring but I haven't had a decent one since I was a boy. There's not even a bite on the peely wally ones you get nowadays. Wick has to be partly responsible for that. I wonder how many slaughtered herring was landed at Wick until the middle of last century? Billions probably.
Wick and Klaksvik deserve one another.
They have a shared heritage of blood and guts going back hundreds of years and you can be sure if they hadn't over fished the herring they would still be landing them millions at a time and Councillor Ross would be the next herring queen.

Kenn
16-Jan-16, 01:46
What other people can or cannot do does not enter into this debate.
Faroes are a dependency of Denmark, Denmark is a full member of The EU which has a non whaling policy.
The maritime rules around the islands have also been changed in total opposition to the rest of Europe.
Either The Faroes give up their dependency or they obey the laws of the organisation to which they are affiliated, it's that simple.
Surely the people of Wick would not wish to be associated with a country that flouts international law.

bekisman
16-Jan-16, 08:06
Suppose we should have a quick look at the horrible despicable act of 'Fur Farming' poor mammals being bred to kill - not for food - but simply for their skin "Fur used from animals caught in the wild is not considered farmed fur, and is instead known as 'wild fur'. Most of the world’s farmed fur is produced by European farmers. There are 6,000 fur farms in the EU .The EU accounts for 63% of global mink production and 70% of fox production. Denmark is the leading mink-producing country, accounting for approximately 28% of world production. The Netherlands, Baltic State, Finland and the USA supplier of fox pelts. The United States is a major exporter of fur-skins. Just checked and we (Scotland) are twinned with a lot of these places, surely it's being hypocritical to 'cherry pick'?

Rheghead
16-Jan-16, 20:06
Suppose we should have a quick look at the horrible despicable act of 'Fur Farming' poor mammals being bred to kill - not for food - but simply for their skin "Fur used from animals caught in the wild is not considered farmed fur, and is instead known as 'wild fur'. Most of the world’s farmed fur is produced by European farmers. There are 6,000 fur farms in the EU .The EU accounts for 63% of global mink production and 70% of fox production. Denmark is the leading mink-producing country, accounting for approximately 28% of world production. The Netherlands, Baltic State, Finland and the USA supplier of fox pelts. The United States is a major exporter of fur-skins. Just checked and we (Scotland) are twinned with a lot of these places, surely it's being hypocritical to 'cherry pick'?

Maybe not so much hypocritical and cherry picking but more like picking our battles and making a stand against a wrong.

dc1
16-Jan-16, 20:24
I never knew the people of wick were consulted on this. anyone who I have heard talking about it are not interested in what the faroe island are doing ,and by the way I am from wick

bekisman
16-Jan-16, 20:38
Maybe not so much hypocritical and cherry picking but more like picking our battles and making a stand against a wrong.
I'm against Whaling too, just pointing out that those fluffy little things called puss are killed - boiled alive - and eaten in many countries, and 'Rover' is a staple diet of such diverse countries as China (10,000,000 a year) Indonesia, Mexico, Vietnam etc, and as for 'my little pony' that's noshed by 18 countries of Europe; one not 22 miles away from our shores.
Who is standing against this wrong? Why are Whales so special? are dogs and cats not intelligent, are they not mammals, are dogs not mans best friend? Why no outcry against Scottish towns twinning with Gansu, Dalian, Gatchina, Haikou - why no outraged knee-jerk reaction by petty officials? just wondering...:confused

Rhencullin
17-Jan-16, 01:11
We must have the most efficient council in the country by the time they can meddle in the affairs of others. I think until we have no potholes, decent services, amenities in a good state of repair and all our citizens cared for, Ross should concentrate on her own backyard. Local Council should be just that, local and not be an offshoot of a national embarrassment. Plus, do we not shoot game, deer and fish the rivers? Is there any difference? We should respect cultural differences between peoples? I am sure she said as much when she was telling us to open our doors to migrants, pandering to Sturgeon who offered to house some in her own home in a bout of gesture politics, who incidentally has yet to fill her spare room. Another unthought SNP policy, how long before we see the problems in Wick or Thurso that were evident on the streets of Cologne, Hamburg and Berlin on New Years Eve? Mass sexual assaults, largely unreported in this country due to the fact that all those responsible were Muslim migrants, do we want to import these people to Caithness to feed someone's political ego and aspirations? I certainly do not.

the_big_mac
17-Jan-16, 09:45
We must have the most efficient council in the country by the time they can meddle in the affairs of others. I think until we have no potholes, decent services, amenities in a good state of repair and all our citizens cared for, Ross should concentrate on her own backyard. Local Council should be just that, local and not be an offshoot of a national embarrassment. Plus, do we not shoot game, deer and fish the rivers? Is there any difference? We should respect cultural differences between peoples? I am sure she said as much when she was telling us to open our doors to migrants, pandering to Sturgeon who offered to house some in her own home in a bout of gesture politics, who incidentally has yet to fill her spare room. Another unthought SNP policy, how long before we see the problems in Wick or Thurso that were evident on the streets of Cologne, Hamburg and Berlin on New Years Eve? Mass sexual assaults, largely unreported in this country due to the fact that all those responsible were Muslim migrants, do we want to import these people to Caithness to feed someone's political ego and aspirations? I certainly do not.

Way to turn a thread about whaling into a column from the Daily Mail.

Impressive that in the same post you can preach about respect for other cultures (which I entirely agree with) and yet in the very next sentence somehow manage to entirely undo your own point with a rant Hitler would've been proud of.

Imagine an emoji of a slow hand clap right here.

gleeber
17-Jan-16, 11:11

I notice this is your first post on the org and you appear not to have noticed the SNP bashing section is further down the forum index under politics. This is the general section where ordinary egos are exposed for examination. In this section councillors are granted the rights of ordinary people with all their vulnerabilities and prejudices laid waste to the wind.
I'm sure you will find the tone and content in the political section completely in line with your own political ego.

bekisman
17-Jan-16, 12:20
Quite agree! these new chaps (?) coming along with their strange views - there's a place for that kind of thing!

janeyj
17-Jan-16, 12:50
There seem to be a lot of posts on this thread which have strayed from the subject in hand. Many posters have talked of hypocrisy and some suggest that we should not worry about the slaughtering of whales because there are other battles more important. If only we could correct all the wrongs in the world all in one go. Sadly, life is not that easy. When I go into town I have a list of things I need to do. As I go along I tick them off one by one. Anything I fail to do will go on the list for next time.

Luv

Janey

crayola
17-Jan-16, 14:37
I do not want to be twinned with whale slaughterers. Break the link Gail.

gleeber
17-Jan-16, 18:21
I do not want to be twinned with whale slaughterers. Break the link Gail.
With some of the stories you've alluded to over the years Crayola I suspect you may have been twinned with worse.[lol]

Mr Z
17-Jan-16, 18:37
Whaling has gone on for hundreds of years in the Faroe Islands. It went on when the twinning with Wick took place. Whaling is part of their culture and an important food source. Why should they stop because a Wick councillor does not like it. They are only taking what they need from the sea. They are not killing for sport.

Rhencullin
17-Jan-16, 23:24
Way to turn a thread about whaling into a column from the Daily Mail.

Impressive that in the same post you can preach about respect for other cultures (which I entirely agree with) and yet in the very next sentence somehow manage to entirely undo your own point with a rant Hitler would've been proud of.

Imagine an emoji of a slow hand clap right here.

I do apologise, you seemed to have missed my point, I was drawing attention to the fact that the local councillor was preaching about respecting others cultures in a previous topic, then undoes all her PC statements in this topic discriminating against the culture of the Faroese, when in fact this is a way of life to them and a source of food. This is a profile boosting episode on her part and this has been commented on in a previous post by another. I disagree with the "rant" suggestion, but then, if you were to read the "Mail" instead of the "Guardian" you may have more of a grip on the truth as to what is going on.

richardj
18-Jan-16, 04:28
For individuals who think it is acceptable for the Faroes (and other Nations) to hunt and kill whales and dolphins then have a read about how the Faroes people kill the animals http://www.campaign-whale.org/campaigns/the-faroes-cruel-whale-slaughter - it is neither humane nor normal in my opinion. Tradition is fine, but not when it degrades you as a person as this behaviour obviously does.

Fulmar
18-Jan-16, 09:21
Here here! There is no humane way to kill a whale and that is the point. As for morality, It is akin to slaughtering elephants for their ivory (although they may die more quickly than a whale) and most folk agree this is not acceptable either, even though people in the far East remain convinced that using animal parts can help with innumerable human ailments. Also, young people in Japan and elsewhere are turning away from whale meat and do not want to eat it, any more than most of us in Scotland want to eat pickled gannets/gugas!

davth
18-Jan-16, 09:41
Can you explain how slaughtering whales for food is on a par with slaughtering elephants for Ivory?

Do you also equate the slaughter of other food sources in the same bracket?

janeyj
18-Jan-16, 11:46
Whales and elephants are both mammals.

Immanuel Kant once wrote "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with man. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".

Luv

Janey

davth
18-Jan-16, 12:08
As are mice and rats, which are slaughtered with gay abandon

Fulmar
18-Jan-16, 18:00
Perhaps Gay Abandon would like to post and explain herself!

the_big_mac
18-Jan-16, 19:01
I do apologise, you seemed to have missed my point, I was drawing attention to the fact that the local councillor was preaching about respecting others cultures in a previous topic, then undoes all her PC statements in this topic discriminating against the culture of the Faroese, when in fact this is a way of life to them and a source of food. This is a profile boosting episode on her part and this has been commented on in a previous post by another. I disagree with the "rant" suggestion, but then, if you were to read the "Mail" instead of the "Guardian" you may have more of a grip on the truth as to what is going on.

Ha, naw, thanks though. You can keep the daily racist to yourself and live in a bubble of fear.