PDA

View Full Version : Whats your attitude....

Solus
24-Apr-07, 23:20
towards bikers, motorbike riders... ?

Not these idiots that tear around on the pavements and public park areas, but guys and girls on motorbikes, from performance bikes to cruisers/ choppers.

Are they a bunch of folk that rip it up and cause noise and accidents ? .... or are they a bunch of decent folk that have fun, and enjoy themselves during the summer months ?

squidge
24-Apr-07, 23:22
Well the Bruce rides a firestorm and teaches bike riding in his spare time and our friend is also an instructor and rides a blackbird - I think htey are both great guys but then i guess i would wouldnt i ;)

Rheghead
24-Apr-07, 23:29
When I was younger I probably didn't realise how annoying I was being on a motorbike though I think a lot of it might have been jealousy. However, I was a closet goodie-two-shoes biker, I did my advanced starider tests but acted all hard in the pub. I think this makes me a better car driver now (the starider bit lol). I still have my Ariel Arrow (in bits) and my 1973 Triumph Trident (complete) but rarely kicked over now.

I think stereotyping towards bikers is just that, a stereotype.

MadPict
24-Apr-07, 23:39
Bikers - leave them alone. They take up less of the road, they have a vehicle designed for carrying one (or two), they always wave or nod at each other, they always seem to have the time to lift their hand in thanks if you move over to let them by...

You get the odd one or two idiots but on the whole I have more time for motorcyclists than I do for other car drivers.

Cyclists on the other hand...........

sweetpea
24-Apr-07, 23:41
I'm all for bikes, great way to travel. I've never passed my test except for cars but I have been on the back of them for years. I know people from all walks of life that are into their bikes. What makes me mad is that there isn't enough tracks and places for kids to go to do biking.

North Rhins
24-Apr-07, 23:43
I sold my Pan European 1300 in August ’05 to buy a caravan………..! Sacrilege I know, but when your knee, wrists and neck vertebrae have seized up I’m afraid there’s not much of an alternative. I was struggling to get the Zimmer through the flap on the tent.
What’s all this ‘Summer months,’ nonsense? 16000 miles in 12 months on a Fireblade. White out on the A9 at Drumochter in March on an Africa twin! Come to think of it, no wonder the old joints are shot.
By the way Solus, are you a biker or do you ride a Triumph? ;)

karia
24-Apr-07, 23:46
Utmost respect for bikers..
can't help thinking us car users don't deserve the same in return!
Wouldn't want to be that vulnerable...love to be that free!

sweetpea
24-Apr-07, 23:49
Two of them came between me on the Kessock Bridge this morn and I got right out of the way for them!;)

JAWS
24-Apr-07, 23:54
A few years ago, prior to moving to Caithness I used to ride a BMW. I hadn't had it very long when I went to visit a friend on it. When I arrived I put it on it's stand alongside the kerb outside his home.

About half an hour later there was a knock on the door. It was a neighbour of my friend who lived across the road. She was most concerned about the bike because it was making it difficult for them to get their car on the drive and could it be moved.

The strange thing about it was that previously I had always parked my medium sized car in exactly the same position on many occasions and that had never ever caused them any problems.

I think that rather sums up some people's attitudes towards bikes and bikers. :roll:

North Rhins
25-Apr-07, 00:03
Caithness was always the ultimate goal on the bike. I used to try and get up to Dunnet camp site for mid summer eve. I’ve taken a few bikers up with me just to prove it doesn’t get dark at night. Spent many a happy hour in the Northern Sands, anyone know if ‘Mad Jockie’ still frequents the back bar?

Tristan
25-Apr-07, 00:04
Don't mind bikers as long as they follow the rules of the road.

Cannot stand the ones who weave in and out, crowd a lane and skip forward in traffic.
Bikers can't ask car drivers to look out for them, and then not look after themselves. Wish the cops would crack down on that kind of numpty driving.

Solus
25-Apr-07, 00:18
crowd a lane and skip forward in traffic

I dont really get what you mean by crowd a lane, how can a bike " crowd" and skipping forward in traffic is one of the advantages, no waiting in queues and traffic jams ! I believe it is also legal.

North Rhins, yes, i ride a triumph none of the rice burners here, my third now for my sins ! and one more currently being planned [smirk]

sweetpea
25-Apr-07, 00:21
If your on a bike you need to be extra alert on the road and have good judgement skills. I'd prefer a bike to let me know he is there rather than take up a whole space in front of me that way I'll get out of the road.

JimH
25-Apr-07, 00:28
I am a Biker, Motorist, Trucker, and a Caravaner - what more can I be to annoy people , I enjoy it all, BUT I come across good and Bad in all of them.
Tolerance is the watchword. Do on to others as you would have done to you.
Driving and Riding is an art to be practised and enjoyed, especially up here in Caithness.
Make allowances for those around you, you never know - some youngsters may survive because you do - but you will feel good about yourself anyway.
Up here we do not use the roads - We share them and I love it.
Be Patient Be safe.

MadPict
25-Apr-07, 00:36
...skipping forward in traffic is one of the advantages, no waiting in queues and traffic jams ! I believe it is also legal.

It's not "legal" - it could lead to a charge of driving without proper care and consideration for other road users (careless driving).. If you do it in front of a cop they may well issue you a ticket...

Solus
25-Apr-07, 00:52
Thats news to me...
The general rules of filtering are as follows:
Only do so if the traffic is stationary or very very slow, moving at speeds of less than 20mph MAX as the Police view any faster than these speeds as "Making good progress" If the traffic is moving at more than 20-30 mph DON'T FILTER as you are asking for trouble and the Police will throw the book at you for careless riding, undue care and whatever else they feel fit at the time. I know I wouldn't expect someone to come past if I were doing those speeds.

it is, i believe encouraged by the Police and advanced riding schools as you are making "good progress" and what is the point of sitting in traffic when you are on a bike.

Tristan
25-Apr-07, 01:05
I dont really get what you mean by crowd a lane, how can a bike " crowd" and skipping forward in traffic is one of the advantages, no waiting in queues and traffic jams ! I believe it is also legal.

North Rhins, yes, i ride a triumph none of the rice burners here, my third now for my sins ! and one more currently being planned [smirk]

Driving on the centre line in bumper to bumper traffic is not legal. Forcing a car to brake to avoid hitting them may be legal (if I hit them it is my fault I guess) but it is VERY stupid and gives bikers a bad name. Bikes are entitled to a lane which is why cars should move over to the other lane. Same applies to bikes.
They can fit.....but I don't think it makes it legal.
Open road...fair game. They shouldn't be speeding, but most people have from time to time.
Weaving in and out of slow moving traffic or in a traffic jam - no way

138: Before overtaking you should make sure

* the road is sufficiently clear ahead - (how is that possible in a line of traffic?)
39: Overtake only when it is safe to do so. You should

* not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake - (not possible in a traffic jam in both directions)
139:
* give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road - (two lanes of traffic two vehicles, a third on the line is a no no)
139:
*give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would a car when overtaking (see Rules 188, 189 and 191.) - (what is good for the goose......)
143: DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example
where traffic is queuing at junctions or road works

Do I need to go on?

Don Quixote
25-Apr-07, 08:38
Both my daughter and son-in-law are bikers. They ride a 1000cc and 600cc sport bikes. Most of their friends are bikers also.

Since they started riding I have been more aware of bikes on the road.

Travelling on the M8 each day I see a lot of bikes and they filter easily when the traffic is slow or stopped. Most motorists make space for them to get passed.

Their preffered roads are winding country roads where they can lay the bike over from side to side at a good lick.

They are also very critical of bikers who do not wear correct biking gear, people on big bikes with jeans and trainers for example. Like most bikers they've had their share of spills and it is only the protective gear that has saved them from injury.

When you see a crowd of them on a ride out (several thousand) it is very impressive. These are not the 'tearaways' of the past but often proffesional people with biking as a hobby who like to meet up with others of a similar mind. Bikes are not a cheap means of transport nowadays.

I have no problem with bikers who use the road sensibly but do have an issue with a lot of motorists who think they own the road.

Victoria
25-Apr-07, 08:58
towards bikers, motorbike riders... ?

Not these idiots that tear around on the pavements and public park areas, but guys and girls on motorbikes, from performance bikes to cruisers/ choppers.

Are they a bunch of folk that rip it up and cause noise and accidents ? .... or are they a bunch of decent folk that have fun, and enjoy themselves during the summer months ?

I think there is a small minority of the former that gives the latter a bad name.

paris
25-Apr-07, 09:45
Hubby and i are bikers and have been for over 30 yrs. We have a kawasaki drifter 1500 vn, just sold a triumph bonny t140, and a trike. Not once have i every come of and he has twice because of car drivers who dont look twice ( we drive a car aswell ) . Cant beat the wind in your face in winter or summer , and yes we do always nod or raise a hand to other bikers and you can garantee if we saw a fellow biker broken down we would always do what we could to help. jan x

Mister Squiggle
25-Apr-07, 10:34
I spent a couple of very hot, boring hours in a car last year waiting to board the ferry to France. I remember watching a heap of motorcycle riders pull up and gather together near the front of the queue and felt extremely envious of (a) how free and unencumbered they looked, and (b) how friendly and sociable they all were towards one another.
Even though most of them were not travelling together, they were all swapping stories, checking out each other's bikes and having a good laugh, while we motorists sat sweltering in our cars with a boot load of luggage and fractious children fighting in the back seat.
More power to them, I say. Riding a motor bike must be a fantastic way of travelling. Hopefully, one day I'll get my licence so I can join 'em.

Solus
25-Apr-07, 10:53
Mister Squiggle .... thats the up side to travelling on the bike.

Paris the kawa is a nice bike, my old man rides the 2000 vulcan vn, not the fastest, but it can go from stop to silly very quickly !! and ah the bonnies :)
Raising or nodding to another on a bike is part of it too, although some harley riders think it is beneath them to nod to a mere mortal ;)

Victoria, fraid its so, bit like cars, you get the young lads in chav'd up cars zooming around, you get it on bikes too, but thats life and part of growning up.

It is good to see so many positives on the thread and shows that attitudes may be changing, i know only a few have left comments, but you would be amazed at some peoples attitudes to bikers !

MadPict
25-Apr-07, 11:15
Solus,
I thought you were talking about 'whitelining' - where bikers overtake other traffic by driving between vehicles, which is not legal.

Yeah overtaking on the inside if certain traffic conditions exist, such as slow moving queues, is allowed, but ducking and diving from lane to lane and overtaking on the inside of vehicles is not legal. This I have seen done by a few idiots but then car drivers do it as much if not more.

Solus
25-Apr-07, 11:31
Yup and ride like that is a easy way to end up looking at the sky wondering what happened !!! just needs some one to pull over into inside lane and its tatties over the side.

laguna2
25-Apr-07, 11:33
When you see a crowd of them on a ride out (several thousand) it is very impressive. These are not the 'tearaways' of the past but often proffesional people with biking as a hobby who like to meet up with others of a similar mind. Bikes are not a cheap means of transport nowadays.

I know what you mean - I was in Isle of Man when there was a memorial ride-out for Joey Dunlop and the sight of hundreds of bikers coming over the hill towards the end of the TT "course" was fantastic - made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

Lolabelle
25-Apr-07, 12:04
Don't mind bikers as long as they follow the rules of the road.

Cannot stand the ones who weave in and out, crowd a lane and skip forward in traffic.
Bikers can't ask car drivers to look out for them, and then not look after themselves. Wish the cops would crack down on that kind of numpty driving.

Too Right, Couldn't have put it better myself.[disgust]

j4bberw0ck
25-Apr-07, 13:39
138: Before overtaking you should make sure

* the road is sufficiently clear ahead - (how is that possible in a line of traffic?)

For a car, it's very difficult. For a bike, it's remarkable easy to gauge if you're sensible. You're higher up than a car driver, able to accelerate faster, brake faster, and manouevre faster. Biggest danger is car drivers not using their rear view mirrors or checking over their shoulder into their blind spot and then pulling out to bully their way into the queue further up (think A9, anytime).

39: Overtake only when it is safe to do so. You should

* not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake - (not possible in a traffic jam in both directions)

If this is about filtering, I think with respect there's some over-interpretation here. Filtering down two lanes of traffic in opposing directions can be done in certain circumstances but you need quite a bit of space for safety and you'd want to avoid the white line and cat's eyes (dangerous on a bike). On motorways and dual carriageways there are no cats eyes (usually) so filtering between two lanes of cars facing the same way is fine, if there's space and if you do it slow as someone said. There's always the person who decides to open their door to see what's going on to worry about.

And let's hear it for truck drivers who know how to use their rear view mirrors, and who usually and cheerfully get out of bikers' paths if filtering, as opposed to car drivers who often aren't above pulling over to block a bike's way (in the UK - never seen it done by cars in Europe).

But don't get me started on pushbike riders in cities - unreliable, unthinking, aggressive, arrogant and selfish - especially the ones all dolled up in the Lycra and sunglasses.

Angela
25-Apr-07, 13:57
But don't get me started on pushbike riders in cities - unreliable, unthinking, aggressive, arrogant and selfish - especially the ones all dolled up in the Lycra and sunglasses.

Feel free to get started jw0ck! Yes, I know it's environmentally friendly, but it's not always pedestrian-friendly. Many city cyclists do seem to think it gives them the right to do exactly as they please.

I get very irate with cyclists who ride across junctions when the traffic is stopped, and along the pavements with no thought for anyone.[evil]

highlander
25-Apr-07, 22:33
When i was courting my hubby we used to have a Triumph Bonniville T120v, totally loved that bike, when you drove up the street, the roar was a beautiful sound, but i also remember day we were sitting outside the ironmongers, when doupie dad came strolling up, making out he was picking a doup off the road, he stood and stared at the bike, with grin from ear to ear, he stood and talked about the bike for a while, and i offered him a fag but he would not accept one, he was not a man to take charity of any kind.(if one day i win the lottery, look out for a hells nana back on that bonni.)

golach
25-Apr-07, 22:39
since this thread started I have been taking more notice of some of the bigger bikes in the town, is it me or my imagination, the drivers all seem to be over 45. Is having a big bike a middle age crisis thing or what?

North Rhins
25-Apr-07, 22:43
There’s only the over 45’s can afford the insurance! :lol:

sweetpea
25-Apr-07, 22:50
In my experience the majority of the bikers I know are well into adulthood but have been into bikes all their lives. But I do know a guy who got one but I thought it was same as getting a guitar for him, a definite mid life thing.

MadPict
25-Apr-07, 22:58
Golach,
It is middle aged crisis.

Guess it's the choice between buying a bike or getting a mistress?......

j4bberw0ck
25-Apr-07, 23:48
There’s only the over 45’s can afford the insurance! :lol:

Well there has to be something good about getting older!

£202 fully comp on brand new BMW R1200RT!! :lol:

Solus
25-Apr-07, 23:58

A mistress would be cheaper........ and easier maintained :)

sweetpea
26-Apr-07, 00:11
A mistress would be cheaper........ and easier maintained :)
Yeah but for how long?[lol] before it cost you dear?

Solus
26-Apr-07, 00:14
That be the 12,000 mile service, thats a full face lift and nip n tuck !! :lol:

horseman
26-Apr-07, 00:14
rheghead ,your ariel arrow comment done it all for me! way back then I used to ride all sorts, used to have a vinnie, and a bmw, and all sorts of bsa's but I ended up my biking days tuning up an ariel arrow and riding it all over the continent.For me that was the best fun of all... And thank you for bringing it all back!!!:)

paris
26-Apr-07, 11:45
If money allows you may well see 2 kawasaki drifters in wick/thurso at the begining of May as were planning a visit ! cant wait soooooooooo excited. Only trouble is i may be walking a bit funny because of the old bones ! Our friends are younger than us , so it will be no problem for them Porshie poo we will be needing that mobile of yours ! jan x

jings00
26-Apr-07, 15:22
i have been to a few rallies and biker events, isle of man, stuff like that, and always found the bikers to be sound people. you will get the odd idiot, but then you get the odd idiot in all walks of like.
think the bikes are brill :-)

golach
26-Apr-07, 15:41
Golach,
It is middle aged crisis.

From the number of over 45's I saw driving big bikes today, there must be a lot of wives being cheated on, but I saw an over 40'ish wifie driving one today too, does it work with both sexes

Solus
26-Apr-07, 16:19
I cheat on my partner most summer evenings and weekends, she knows she cant compete with a younger model, thats fast, sleek and sexy, although she knows i come home when the said younger model has worn me out ! and i come in the door smirking with that look in my eye !

to those that ride, you know the smirk i am on about, when the grin factor has just gone up a point or two !;)

my mistress may have the looks and the moves, but you always get better at home !

North Rhins
26-Apr-07, 21:15
I cheat on my partner most summer evenings and weekends, she knows she cant compete with a younger model, thats fast, sleek and sexy, although she knows i come home when the said younger model has worn me out ! and i come in the door smirking with that look in my eye !

to those that ride, you know the smirk i am on about, when the grin factor has just gone up a point or two !;)

my mistress may have the looks and the moves, but you always get better at home !

Bit of artistic licence there Solus, I thought you rode a Triumph! ;)

Banzai!

mareng
26-Apr-07, 21:32
Well there has to be something good about getting older!

£202 fully comp on brand new BMW R1200RT!! :lol:

That's cheap! Did you tell them about...........................?

http://usera.imagecave.com/blackal/MISC/babywipe.jpg

An old duffer in a car just about had me off the bike today............ pulled out in front of me when the lorry I was behind - turned left. He didn't even know I was alongside him. Next time - I'll have the presence of mind to kick the driver's door in to attract attention.

Makes you wonder - if the car driver can't see a bright yellow motorbike with bright headlights on......................... what chance does a pushbike rider stand??

Solus
26-Apr-07, 21:45
Bit of artistic licence there Solus, I thought you rode a Triumph!

Oh thats below the belt!! :eek:

daytona 955 thank you very much and if that dont raise a grin on a mild spring evening ............. well..............

of course i could follow the rest of the flock and ride a gxsr or other rice burners !:D

close call mareng !! glad to hear you stayed upright though !!!

North Rhins
26-Apr-07, 21:54
I’ll tell you what Mareng, I can thing of others places I would rather kick than his drivers door. What was his excuse?

‘I didn’t see you.’
‘You were going too fast.’
‘You shouldn’t have been there.’
‘You weren’t there when I set off.’
‘ I’ve been driving for fifty years.’
‘These aren’t my proper glasses.’
‘ I’ve got chest pains.’My personal favourite is, ‘I’ve never had an accident in forty years.’ No but you’ve caused plenty mate. [disgust]
P.S. How much are Beemer wing mirrors fetching on ebay?

PPS Daytona 955, a gentlemans motorcyle if I may say so Solus.

Solus
26-Apr-07, 22:03
‘I didn’t see you.’

Yup i had that one last year, whilst stationary !!!! rammed by a transit van !

" i am 6' 4 , look like a gorilla riding a minimoto, in front of you and you didn't see me !!! "

Angry ? just a wee bit !

Daytona 955, a gentlemans motorcyle if I may say so Solus

only in the hands of a gentleman rhins !!! :)

mareng
26-Apr-07, 22:25

You'd need to ask J4bber about that one........

It wasn't the yellow bike I was on today, it was the GS 1200 Adv (no small beast) but the incident happened on the way out of Dumfries.

Solus
26-Apr-07, 22:39
Was that the Dumfries stranraer road Mareng ?

Thats a sod of a road for accidents !

North Rhins
26-Apr-07, 22:41
Ah! Dumfries. Not the dreaded A75 was it? If it’s not a McBurney’s 42 footer travelling at the speed of light trying to catch the Larne ferry, then it’s some brain dead, acne ridden pubescent in a stage one tuned Saxo with an exhaust like a sewer outlet pipe. The A75 a very unforgiving road.

j4bberw0ck
26-Apr-07, 23:56

Sadly, can't comment on that, But I can tell you that that nice Mr B Emdoubleyou wants about £130 for each one.......... <ahem> don't ask me how I know..... must remove those pics from smugmug...... woops :lol:

Mareng, you're in for a swift kick in the torx fasteners next time I see you :lol: .

Solus
27-Apr-07, 00:02
mareng, that picture ? was that taken today after that car pulled out on you ?

If it was never realised that he hit you ! Good job staying upright :eek:

mareng
27-Apr-07, 04:14
mareng, that picture ? was that taken today after that car pulled out on you ?

If it was never realised that he hit you ! Good job staying upright :eek:

Luckily - I had room to go around the old duffer. On another day - I may not have been as lucky.

The picture is of J4bberw0ck's last bike after a slide up a Perthshire road.

(I think his wallet got more bruising than his body)

J4bber........... You're all Torx :)

mareng
27-Apr-07, 05:46
Was that the Dumfries stranraer road Mareng ?

Thats a sod of a road for accidents !

No - A701 at Locharbriggs (north end of Dumfries).

As he was only on the 701 for 20 yards before turning right, I was lucky that I got past him before he actually turned, cos he had no idea I was there.

I should have turned round and had a word with him to the effect that the next time it happened - the other fella might not escape.

MadPict
27-Apr-07, 09:04
Makes you wonder - if the car driver can't see a bright yellow motorbike with bright headlights on......................... what chance does a pushbike rider stand??

Headlights on during the day is such a common sight these days I wouldn't be surprised if a form of blindness has crept in.
I have seen a device which is wired in to bike headlights which causes the light to 'oscillate' or flash slightly. It's almost as if the light unit mounting is loose. As it 'flashes' slightly it catches the eye more than a steady light. It turns off at night or can be over ridden by the rider.

Having seen bikes with loose headlights I can see the benefit of this device - shame it is illegal in the UK.

With some motor car manufacturers introducing enhanced brakelight systems that flash the brake light under heavy emergency use perhaps such headlight devices will one day be permitted in the UK?

j4bberw0ck
27-Apr-07, 09:18
Yes, the headlight "oscillators" are probably a good idea but unlikely to become legal since the police use alternately flashing headlights on their unmarked vehicles. The lights on my bike are a vast improvement on the those of the old one, but I think the trick is probably to have as "non-standard" a light layout as possible so you're not presenting a single point of light to a car driver - many of them seem to have had some brain cells removed (the ones which enable them to see a single bright light source).

Something like this:
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/461/street1qj6.jpg

though that's a US spec bike wired with the amber indicators as running lights. But those extra lights are eye-catching.

golach
27-Apr-07, 09:35
Yup i had that one last year, whilst stationary !!!! rammed by a transit van !
" i am 6' 4 , look like a gorilla riding a minimoto, in front of you and you didn't see me !!! "
Angry ? just a wee bit !
Maybe Solus, the White Van man was also thinking about his mistress and was some what distracted [lol]

emszxr
27-Apr-07, 09:55
i have a bike as well, if you didnt know, its in the name.
i love biking although just going to get back into it this year after a few years off having my 2 kids.
i do filter, have to, the zxr dont like sitting in traffic getting all hot and bothered, like her owner. i do jump to the front of the queue at roadworks and the likes.
having my bike license first did make me, imho, a better car driver. as a biker you have to look so much further in front of you and watch what every other road user is doing and thinking that everyone is a possible hazard. i also take this approach whilst driving the car. i even do my lifesavers in the car especially on roundabouts and dual carriageway.
lets hope for some lovely biking days this year.

MadPict
27-Apr-07, 10:39
I think the flash rate of these modulators is very high - 240 times a minute - so mistaking them for the lights of a cop car/bike would be hard. But I can see the issue.

The bike in the pic looks like a mates BMW 1200GS - he has lights all over the thing!!

II
Hmmm, maybe 240 times a minute isn't that fast....

http://www.kriss.com/gl1800mod.htm

paris
27-Apr-07, 11:07
Do you bikers up there go to any rallys ? and if so where and what are they like ? Thanks jan x

j4bberw0ck
27-Apr-07, 11:11
The other thing is that car drivers seeing lights flash like that might assume the bike was saying "it's ok, go ahead" if (for instance) the car was waiting to pull out from a minor road onto a major one; flashing headlights being a sort of agreed signal here (despite the Highway Code).

A stroboscopic effect at say 900 - 1200 flashes a minute would say "DANGER!!!!" much more effectively :lol: . Not sure what it'd do for the service life of the bulbs, though.

MadPict
27-Apr-07, 11:31
The flashing LED lights used by cyclists are not legal either (if fitted to the bike) but they certainly catch the eye.
I was watching the news a while back where someone was being interviewed from another studio. In the background was a view over the city (where ever it was) and it was night. Amongst the traffic this flashing white light could be seen going along the road. It was obvious from it's sped and movement it was a cyclist. Bear in mind this view (a back projection in the studio) was from a rooftop and some distance from where the traffic was.
This bike light was really obvious.

Maybe motorcyclists can wear a vest festooned with flashing LED cycle lights!!!

j4bberw0ck
27-Apr-07, 14:18
The flashing LED lights used by cyclists are not legal either (if fitted to the bike)

That's what I thought, too, until recently when I was told that an amendment to the Road Traffic Act lighting regs made them legal for bicycles but not for any motorised traffic. If they aren't legal, they certainly should be.

Maybe motorcyclists can wear a vest festooned with flashing LED cycle lights!!!

Errr..... I don't have a huge amount of vanity about my appearance (what's to be vain about? :lol: ) but I think I'll just settle for auxiliary / extra lights, thanks. Now Mareng - there's your man for something "flash" (but must be colour-coordinated) :lol:

Mind you, I could be persuaded if the LEDs could be formed into messages.... "OI!", or perhaps much worse....

MadPict
27-Apr-07, 15:13
Hahah - I have just the thing for you ....

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8e9a/?ref=c/&cpg=cj

mareng
29-Apr-07, 09:30
Now Mareng - there's your man for something "flash" (but must be colour-coordinated)

You're a bad man Mr W0ck :( ........... and since you are the "proud" owner of an Aerostich all-in-one outfit (baby-gro) - I hardly think you are the one to comment on style............... (go on - I dare you to post a pic of you with that outfit on?)

.......... says me, while heading up to Perth on a black/yellow bike, wearing black/yellow trousers & jacket :)

I fancy fitting headlamp flashers, and don't think that anything that you can achieve manually (i.e. operate your headlamp flasher repeatedly) can all of sudden be illegal if it is mechanised?

The problem is that car drivers are looking for somthing "car-sized" or larger only, and a motorbike or pushbike doesn't register (until you are spreadeagled across their bonnet with your face pressed against their windscreen).

j4bberw0ck
29-Apr-07, 10:16
.......... says me, while heading up to Perth on a black/yellow bike, wearing black/yellow trousers & jacket

Quick! Pass the flyspray.......... :lol::lol: Good job a 1200 has a deep exhaust note.

mareng
29-Apr-07, 19:03
Quick! Pass the flyspray.......... Good job a 1200 has a deep exhaust note.

Only a wee thoosand, I'm afraid...............

CC and Shiny came out for the bimble too, so that upped the pace somewhat :)