PDA

View Full Version : Life beyond Earth

Ojibwa
24-Apr-07, 22:07
Thought this was an interesting article.

What do you think, are there other planets out there that support life or is it just sci fi.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070424_hab_exoplanet.html

Rheghead
24-Apr-07, 22:56
Mars could yet reveal a few secrets so let us not forget that one. There is another probe due to land either 2008 or 2009. The circumstantial evidence for life is massing year by year on the red planet. What with those fossils, methane and evidence of running water in very recent times. Let us not forget the positive test on the Viking expedition as well! It is almost tantalising to say that there is life on Mars.

I must admit to having Faith in there being life on other worlds but it is better to have Faith where the odds are stacked in it being true.

DeHaviLand
24-Apr-07, 23:09
I think its inconceivable that life doesnt exist elsewhere. There are thousands of millions of planets, and millions of solar systems. The odds against life existing on another planet are too big. We might never get to meet them, but they're out there.

sweetpea
24-Apr-07, 23:16
It says it's about 50 times bigger and 5 times more massive, maybe we should ditch this one and move there. Richard Branson are ye listening? Take me to the....
I think there is every reason to believe that there is life elsewhere, what form it takes is another matter, I think.

Jeemag_USA
24-Apr-07, 23:28
Its a subject you could ponder on for hours and one I have had many lengthy conversations over after too many beers :Razz

When you take into consideration the vastness of the night sky when you look up, consider the amount of different solar systems there are, its very hard not to believe there are more inhabited planets out there.

Its probably highly possible there are solar systems out there that have more than one planet in the system that is inhabited by life forms, maybe more than two in the same solar system, maybe they are friends and trading with each other, maybe they are blowong each other up?

Thinking about it can conjure up all sorts of ideas, if you think of how different parts of our own world have advanced and the how some more modern cultures on this planet have discovered less modern lands and had a pretty profound and sometimes damaging affect on other cultures. Imagine what it might be like if we were the most advanced in the universe and managed to travel to another inhabited planet before anyone else did and we found some less advanced human or animal species and tried to teach them what we know. All of a sudden we turn up and give them fire, beer, guns and telly [lol] Or what if it was the other way round and we were the leat advanced and somebody turned up here and said you shouldn't do that like that, you should do it with this. Oooh sometimes I don't like to think about it.

Rather concentrate on how to perfect our own wee ball so everyone is happy and safe.

Rheghead
24-Apr-07, 23:38
If we discovered for sure that we are alone in the Universe, that would be equally as surprising as discovering for sure that we aren't.

(I think it was Carl Sagan that said that first.:o )

North Rhins
24-Apr-07, 23:47
Can you imagine the wee grey men looking down on our planet today? ‘Sod this let’s keep going.’ (In an alien accent of course). :eek:

Jeemag_USA
25-Apr-07, 00:03
Can you imagine the wee grey men looking down on our planet today? ‘Sod this let’s keep going.’ (In an alien accent of course). :eek:

Aye it might be like all those people who pass through Caithness to get to Orkney. We might be able to sell them dylthium crystals though for the rest of their journey :Razz

North Rhins
25-Apr-07, 00:05
Aye it might be like all those people who pass through Caithness to get to Orkney. We might be able to sell them dylthium crystals though for the rest of their journey :Razz

Aye but would the engines take it Capn'? :lol:

sweetpea
25-Apr-07, 00:11
The Crystals would be for the Caithness part of the journey, surley. Once you get to Orkney you can relax, Cptn

Tristan
25-Apr-07, 00:15
Thought this was an interesting article.

What do you think, are there other planets out there that support life or is it just sci fi.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070424_hab_exoplanet.html

There will be other planets that support life.

Is there life out there? I would be very surprised if there wasn't.

sweetpea
25-Apr-07, 00:16
For me this has a danger of turning into a music thread!

JAWS
25-Apr-07, 00:29
I too am of the opinion that due to the size of the Universe there not being some form of life elsewhere is inconceivable. In truth, I doubt if we are even anything approaching the most intelligent form of life in the Universe.

Will it have two arms and two legs, visit Earth and speak English via a Universal Translator? I very much doubt it unless they have their version of Hollywood as well!

sweetpea
25-Apr-07, 00:32
In my experience we are definately not the most intelligent. Far from it. I'm gonna get slagged for this but I like to think there is a parrallel universe[lol]

Metalattakk
25-Apr-07, 01:35

Aye but would the engines take it Capn'? :lol:

Ye cannae change the laws o' physics...

Jeemag_USA
25-Apr-07, 01:38

I am wonderin if Sweetpea is waiting for someone to break out in either "Star Trekkin" or "Life on Mars"....

sorry..back to topic ;)

gleeber
25-Apr-07, 07:42
Just because the universe has hundreds of millions of solar systems doesn't mean there needs to be life in any of them.
Although the fantasy corner that exists in the corner of my skull cannot avoid the possibility of life on other planets, there's another corner in there that sees everything around me as just pure chance.
Until some more tangible evidence turns up, other than the fantasy lubricating thoughts of human scientists, I am happy to live in the knowledge that man is ultimately alone in the whole wide universe.

George Brims
25-Apr-07, 21:58
It says it's about 50 times bigger and 5 times more massive, maybe we should ditch this one and move there. Richard Branson are ye listening? Take me to the....
I think there is every reason to believe that there is life elsewhere, what form it takes is another matter, I think.
It is supposedly 50 *percent* bigger, or at least that is the diameter it would have if it's of similar rocky composition to Earth, given that it's about 5 times as heavy. I think that calculation also includes some assumptions about the size of the core vs the lighter outer bits, since 1.5 cubed is only 3.375. Interestingly this one was found by the same team that found the very first extrasolar planet. A rival California based team has found far more of them but these guys scooped both the first one and the first one comparable to Earth.

sweetpea
25-Apr-07, 22:57
. Interestingly this one was found by the same team that found the very first extrasolar planet. A rival California based team has found far more of them but these guys scooped both the first one and the first one comparable to Earth.[/quote]

Yeah but it gets to me that they won't find anything in my lifetime, it always annoys me when they say things like... not in our lifetime but certainly within the next 100 years.

sweetpea
25-Apr-07, 22:59
I am wonderin if Sweetpea is waiting for someone to break out in either "Star Trekkin" or "Life on Mars"....

sorry..back to topic ;)

It's been on my internal radio head all day, lol!:lol: star trekkin, word perfect

JAWS
25-Apr-07, 23:31
The planet which has just been announced has certainly given Bookmakers something to ponder.
Apparently they have reduced the odds of Life being found elsewhere in the Universe to ten to one.

I don't know what the odds were previously but I would guess they would have been offering a lot better odds than those.

I know that information doesn't "prove" that there is an increased probability of Life being found elsewhere. I would think though that it indicates that the possibility is not not considered as outlandish as it would have been five or ten years ago when you would probable have had a better response from suggesting the Moon was made of Green Cheese.

Blazing Sporrans
26-Apr-07, 10:08
That appears to have gone unappreciated... We oldies know where you're coming from ;)

scorrie
26-Apr-07, 20:47

Ah but that is OUR laws. It may well be that (cue Richard Burton), "Minds immeasurably superior to ours" find the Human workings in this area to be rather naive.

I can just picture Alien graffiti on the Enterprise hull stating that, "Scottie heznae got a Scooby"

Jeemag_USA
26-Apr-07, 21:27
It's been on my internal radio head all day, lol! star trekkin, word perfect

I am ashamed to say I am one of the people that got that song to number one, I actually went out and bought it when it first came out [lol]

OK here is a link to the lyrics http://www.quantumnow.com/trek/lyrics.html and now back to topic sorry ;)

Metalattakk
26-Apr-07, 21:51
Ah but that is OUR laws. It may well be that (cue Richard Burton), "Minds immeasurably superior to ours" find the Human workings in this area to be rather naive.

I can just picture Alien graffiti on the Enterprise hull stating that, "Scottie heznae got a Scooby"

They're not strictly "our" laws of physics. They are universal laws, belonging to physics itself. Whether we (humans) came up with the terminology or descriptions or not, those rules are universal and apply universally.

And as such, they cannot be changed.

Strange as it may seem, Scotty was right all along. :D

North Rhins
26-Apr-07, 22:07
It always used to make me laugh when the good ship Enterprise had a particularly hairy engagement with those nasty Klingons. Captain Kirk would ask Scottie how long it would take to fix the warp drive. Scottie would answer ‘Four days.’ Kirk would reply ’Well you’ve got four hours.’ And it was always fixed, always. So the moral is if you are going to have an engineer of some standing, make sure that they’re a Jock. Or at the very least a Yank with a dodgy jock accent. :D

Jeemag_USA
26-Apr-07, 22:16
It always used to make me laugh when the good ship Enterprise had a particularly hairy engagement with those nasty Klingons. Captain Kirk would ask Scottie how long it would take to fix the warp drive. Scottie would answer ‘Four days.’ Kirk would reply ’Well you’ve got four hours.’ And it was always fixed, always. So the moral is if you are going to have an engineer of some standing, make sure that they’re a Jock. Or at the very least a Yank with a dodgy jock accent. :D

He was Canadian but never mind [lol] The moral of the story is if your an engineer and you need to barter for time start WAAAAAAAY high and then work your way down, that way you may be able to get things fixed and have some time for some skiving too!

North Rhins
26-Apr-07, 22:50
Sorry Jeemag, didn’t realise he was a Cannuk.
On the subject of physics, how did they get Scottie into that uniform? :confused

Cedric Farthsbottom III
26-Apr-07, 22:59
I can just see on a nearby planet.Three wee robot lookin guys laughin their heids off.Jock turns to Tam and says"Ye and yer crashin at Roswell,they didnae buy that did they?"

Tam turns to Jock and says"Aye and what about ye tryin to take oot the forests of Siberia earlier,they didnae buy that either"

Wee Shuggie turns around and says,"Shut up ye two,I telt ye that they Smash adverts would work and their still buying it now!!!!"

Course there's life oot there.We are nothin compared to what they are.I think its zillion o miles though.Whether we'll meet,I don't know.I don't think they or us could survive the journey cos of the time it takes to get to one another.They'll probably have a wee forum themselves.I can see on o the threads now......."Dae ye all on Doozibblatrog think ye could make a programme wi a hoose wi a big man called Blobby in it".......the first post would read....."Away wi ye,who would fall for that?":lol: :lol:

futurelegends
26-Apr-07, 23:18
I wonder if they've discovered Glam Rock Yet?

We Could Send Gary Glitter for starters.

scorrie
26-Apr-07, 23:54
They're not strictly "our" laws of physics. They are universal laws, belonging to physics itself. Whether we (humans) came up with the terminology or descriptions or not, those rules are universal and apply universally.

And as such, they cannot be changed.

Strange as it may seem, Scotty was right all along. :D

We only have our belief that these laws apply throughout the Universe. Man is a new kid on the block, there is much that we know nothing about. It is not so long ago that the idea of sending a Man onto the Moon would have seen you burned at the stake!!

Once someone has travelled and observed the entire Universe, then I will let them away with the claim that our laws are the dogs danglers ;o)

scorrie
26-Apr-07, 23:56
We Could Send Gary Glitter for starters.

It wouldn't work. He would keep drifting off course in search of Uranus.

Jeemag_USA
27-Apr-07, 00:04
I can just see on a nearby planet.Three wee robot lookin guys laughin their heids off.Jock turns to Tam and says"Ye and yer crashin at Roswell,they didnae buy that did they?"

Tam turns to Jock and says"Aye and what about ye tryin to take oot the forests of Siberia earlier,they didnae buy that either"

Wee Shuggie turns around and says,"Shut up ye two,I telt ye that they Smash adverts would work and their still buying it now!!!!"

Course there's life oot there.We are nothin compared to what they are.I think its zillion o miles though.Whether we'll meet,I don't know.I don't think they or us could survive the journey cos of the time it takes to get to one another.They'll probably have a wee forum themselves.I can see on o the threads now......."Dae ye all on Doozibblatrog think ye could make a programme wi a hoose wi a big man called Blobby in it".......the first post would read....."Away wi ye,who would fall for that?":lol:

Which one of Tam Jock and Shuggie was responsible for Michael Jackson [lol]

futurelegends
27-Apr-07, 00:05

That would be a bummer!!!

Jeemag_USA
27-Apr-07, 00:06

Are you calling Futurelegends a bairn like (just kidding) [lol]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
27-Apr-07, 00:08

Funny and true Scorrie.:lol: What is oot there.Its expanding the whole time.Nobody knows.Pluto is a planet,but now their saying its not.The universe is expanding.THE BIG BANG,one of ma favourite subjects and yet I know nothin about it.There's to many systems,no enough time to do it.But aye there is.Everything today has to be done here and now.Somethings need to be left and brewed like a sweet smelling coffee,or a Red Bull if thats more yer forte.Answers will arrive,they always do.But as the infamous line goes in the film Gladiator"Soon.......but not yet.....not yet"

Cedric Farthsbottom III
27-Apr-07, 00:11
Which one of Tam Jock and Shuggie was responsible for Michael Jackson [lol]

Jeemag man,that was Michael's own doing.He saw the Elephant Man and said to his surgeon,"I'd like to look like that,if no Diana Ross":lol:

Jeemag_USA
27-Apr-07, 00:17
Jeemag man,that was Michael's own doing.He saw the Elephant Man and said to his surgeon,"I'd like to look like that,if no Diana Ross":lol:

No he is an alien like, people think its all plastic surgery but its not, he has never had any plastic surgery, just every now and again he peels off a layer of skin like the lizard people in V until he can finally look like his real self and nobody will know the difference, finally one day he will take over the world, wait and see.

j4bberw0ck
27-Apr-07, 09:25
The Green Bank Formula might give some hope (http://www.trivia-library.com/a/chances-of-intelligen-life-the-green-bank-formula.htm)

btw, Rheghead, good call on Carl Sagan. A hero of mine. Did you watch "Cosmos" in the seventies? Our "spaceship of the imagination"? :cool: Fantastic program..... Kaarsmose, as he pronounced it :lol:.