PDA

View Full Version : Banks & Identity theft

karia
24-Apr-07, 19:19
last week I was in the Bank of Scotland's foyer using their cash
machine to check my balance as I do not seem to get statements anymore.[disgust]
This branch is in a shopping mall.

Whilst at the machine, a bloke appeared at my right elbow, wielding a digital
camera & snapping away.

On finishing my transaction I looked around & finding the guy in question still outside , I made clear my disquiet (gave him the evils!)

He 'took off', I persued, he went faster..so did I.
...lost him at the lifts.

I returned to the bank and reported this..did I get an apology? NO!

i was treated like an over-sensitive, slightly batty person and it was explained to me that he was from another branch, looking at how they use their space!

They suggested he should have been more subtle !:roll:

I know how easy it is to zoom in on digital pictures.

Was I over-reacting?
In these days of identity theft, you'd think they would value having these things reported.

cuddlepop
24-Apr-07, 19:33
We were in a shop in Largs and I was buying a new jacket,using my chip and pin card to pay for it.I never payed much attention but Mr Cp informed me that the sales assistant was watching me entering my pin number and suggested I go to the nearest cash point and change my pin number.
No you were not paranoid.:eek:

Alice in Blunderland
24-Apr-07, 19:34
Having been a victim of card fraud in a word NO I dont think you were wrong .The gentleman who to you seemed to be acting strangely should have given you the common courtesy of an explantion rather than running off.

It states quite clearly on their machines if you notice someone acting suspicously to report it........If they are going to be so complacent then why ask you to do this.:confused

Alice in Blunderland
24-Apr-07, 19:37
We were in a shop in Largs and I was buying a new jacket,using my chip and pin card to pay for it.I never payed much attention but Mr Cp informed me that the sales assistant was watching me entering my pin number and suggested I go to the nearest cash point and change my pin number.
No you were not paranoid.:eek:

It was from a shop transaction that we had our card cloned ,we never gave it a thought until a good size of money went missing and then it was panic to get it sorted out.

We did get the money back from the bank nearly a month later.

karia
24-Apr-07, 20:03
It's shocking, isn't it.
Sorry you guys got stung!

Admit I felt a little foolish but i don't have that much in the bank...don't know what I'd do without that cash mind you!

don't expect this happens in the bank of Zurich!

Dreamweaver
24-Apr-07, 20:07
Yes and I'm afraid its just happened to me too. And the only places the card has been used has been for purchases in Caithness - very depressing!! The Fraud Department of the Bank is on to it and I will get the money back - I hope the fraudster's name goes in the Groat when the police have finished with them then everyone will know who it is!! Scumbag.:mad:

karia
24-Apr-07, 20:15
on reflection..if these people are bona fides...shouldn't the staff have been going round with them, simply to reassure customers?

The more I think about it the more concerned I get.

I'll be checking my account tommorow, again!

oldmarine
24-Apr-07, 20:21
last week I was in the Bank of Scotland's foyer using their cash
machine to check my balance as I do not seem to get statements anymore.[disgust]
This branch is in a shopping mall.

Whilst at the machine, a bloke appeared at my right elbow, wielding a digital
camera & snapping away.

On finishing my transaction I looked around & finding the guy in question still outside , I made clear my disquiet (gave him the evils!)

He 'took off', I persued, he went faster..so did I.
...lost him at the lifts.

I returned to the bank and reported this..did I get an apology? NO!

i was treated like an over-sensitive, slightly batty person and it was explained to me that he was from another branch, looking at how they use their space!

They suggested he should have been more subtle !:roll:

I know how easy it is to zoom in on digital pictures.

Was I over-reacting?
In these days of identity theft, you'd think they would value having these things reported.

Karia, I believe you were correct. I would have done the same as you. As for the banks attitude, I would have told them of my concern and would have expected better treatment from them. I also would have asked them whether they wanted me to move my accounts to another bank where I would get better treatment.

wifie
24-Apr-07, 20:39
Karia you mentioned that you don't seem to get statements any more - have you not queried this also? Maybe you have changed address and not told the Bank.

Angela
24-Apr-07, 20:56
Karia you mentioned that you don't seem to get statements any more - have you not queried this also? Maybe you have changed address and not told the Bank.

I still get paper statements sent out from the Bank of Scotland, despite having online banking.

However, this was an option I had to choose. It seemed as if you would continue to receive statements unless you said you didn't want them, but mine suddenly stopped arriving last December.

I phoned up to query it, and they started sending them to me again. :)

sweetpea
24-Apr-07, 21:08
I think I'd have reacted in same way. I always cover my hand on the chip and pins. Another one I have nearly been stung by is the fake machines, just about got caught out in Glasgow one time by them till a friend pointed it out and I got my card out but I was really worried they might have got my card details, whew!
I never get paper copies either cause it's all online.

karia
24-Apr-07, 21:15
Nope, its my 'static' account...life savings if you will!

i have been with them for all of my adult working life. It's a shame if that counts for nowt !

badger
24-Apr-07, 22:58
Banks just don't care any more. They gave up bothering with customers when they gave up personal bank managers and branch telephone nos. You were absolutely right to complain and in your shoes I would go higher up and demand an apology and explanation. What's the point of them continually asking us to be careful if they do something so risky?

Torvaig
24-Apr-07, 23:12
I agree with Badger; you would be best to put your complaint in writing as the staff should have treated you better. Putting things in writing is much better especially if you state that copies have been sent to further up the pecking order! Talking to someone usually ends there!

karia
24-Apr-07, 23:15
it was a bit like 'this ones been watching too much day time t.v !":D

In Contrast..

my father in law died in december and mum in law was in the RBS in
Glenrothes, sorting out 'business', next day she gets a phone call apologising
for the fact that she may have had to stand in a short queue..:roll:

Don't know what I find more scary!