PDA

View Full Version : new tourist attraction?

Tugmistress
20-May-05, 01:55
:p
could bring some extra money into the local economy....lol, i am sure there would be somewhere that wouldn't charge exorbitant ground rent for it and still profit :D

The London Eye could close down after being served an eviction notice after a £1m rent demand - an increase of more than 1500%.

Its landlords, the South Bank Centre (SBC), said they are not getting enough rent from the land that holds part of the wheel's supporting structure.

If the rent is not paid they say the Eye will have to be removed in a month.

None of the parties wished to comment but said negotiations are taking place in the hope of reaching a settlement.

According to a document seen by Kate Hoey, MP for Vauxhall, SBC sent out the eviction notice after issuing a demand for the increased rent.

She told BBC London on Thursday: "I find it quite outrageous that the South Bank Centre has now turned around and is trying to be like a greedy developer.

"It will not go down very well with people in my area and Londoners and the country as a whole."

The 450-foot wheel, which is operated by British Airways, is one of London's top tourist attractions.