PDA

View Full Version : Rant Rant Rant Time......

justine
24-Apr-07, 10:52
Well at 11.45pm last night we had a knock on the front door. Our neighbour was standing there asking us if that is our cat....I looked over into the middle of the street (Cairndhuna) and there was our 1 yr old cat lying dying in the middle of the road.... Now i know that there are no laws about having to stop if you run over a cat as they are deemed vermin, but what happened to human kindness.How long does it take someone to get out of a car and try to find the owner of the animal....:mad:

This morning i had to tell my children that there beloved pet was no longer with us...I also had to clean up all what was left on the road.....I just find it so hard that someone did not even stop.They may not have realised that they hit something, but he was wearing two reflective collars but still it happened.I know this is the chance that you take when having cats but it does not make it any easier to deal with...If there is anyone out there who thinks that they may have run over the cat,or was driving down cairndhuna terrace around 11-11.30 pm I think that you could have tried to locate us. We live just opposite from where he was hit..My kids are heart broken and they would like another but i would be very weary about getting one now...I am really annoyd that the law cannot be changed about having to stop if you hit a cat, but it wont be no matter how many cats are killed on our streets....[evil]

Solus
24-Apr-07, 11:52
So sorry to hear the news about your cat justine ! your right it is common decency to start knocking on doors to find the owner.... i had to do it once for a dog and it is not a nice thing to do but it is the right thing to do .........

henry20
24-Apr-07, 12:03
So sorry to hear the news about your cat justine ! your right it is common decency to start knocking on doors to find the owner.... i had to do it once for a dog and it is not a nice thing to do but it is the right thing to do .........

The difference is, by law you have to if you hit a dog - as they may be classed as working animals.

But, yes, common decency / common sense should make everyone stop and notify someone in the area.

I once hit a cat on the country road - not a house in sight, but common decency made me stop to see if it was ok. It had run off and was nowhere to be seen, I called on it and heard several miaows from several directions and couldn't find it. :(

emb123
24-Apr-07, 12:04
Justine, I'm so sorry to hear about your poor cat.

The law is not likely to change unfortunately but it would have been only a decent thing to try to locate the owner.

Perhaps a new kitten might help the children move on? Tough decision I know. I send my warmest wishes to you and feel for your loss.

Angela
24-Apr-07, 12:13
Justine, I'm so sorry to hear about your poor cat.

The law is not likely to change unfortunately but it would have been only a decent thing to try to locate the owner.

Perhaps a new kitten might help the children move on? Tough decision I know. I send my warmest wishes to you and feel for your loss.

I can only second that!

Possibly the driver panicked? Not that that's much of an excuse. :confused

Maybe too soon to think about a new cat - but I agree that it would be a good idea. I know there's always the chance it could happen again, but try to think positive if you can.:)

Dadie
24-Apr-07, 12:35
I hope you had a decent burial/funeral. Mum and dad have a pet cematery in their garden with all the pets we had as children.maybe have a bush or bulbs planted on the site as a marker that way you are reminded of them year in and it is not as somber as a headstone choose something that sums up your cat when benson died we chose a copper beech as the label said it was a regal tree which kinda sumed him up but you need a big garden for one of those maybe a rose bush or some snowdrops..cheeky the cat has bluebells pepper the cat has daffodills the hamsters have a blackcurrant bush.(they loved the berries) its a sad time i know but i think its too soon to get another cat at the moment but when you do have a look at what the SSPCA have in balmore.. you can sometimes get kittens in there!

Elenna
24-Apr-07, 12:39
I am really sorry to hear about your cat, Justine. I suppose there could be all sorts of reasons why the driver didn't try to find the owner....it was late at night, they could have been exhausted from work or in a rush to get somewhere, they could have panicked (as Angela suggested), or maybe they never even realised what had happened. I agree they should have tried to fine the owner, but people don't always make the best decisions, or tend to excuse or justify their actions. :(

However, in the end, that doesn't make it any easier for your family. I think it would be good for your children to have another cat, but take your time about deciding when. Hugs.

justine
24-Apr-07, 14:14
HI:~( . Well we are not sure that we will be getting another cat just yet.We lost our first cat last year in the same way,only it was found by our daughter on her way to school...She did not have to see the cat this time but the blood was everywhere...I know i should not blame anyone as accidents happen but i just cant think how stitch felt lying there dying alone......I hoped iit was quick but i dont think so.I am not going into detail...But thankyou all for your kind words.......:(

Gizmo
24-Apr-07, 17:16
Sorry to hear about your cat, it makes my blood boil that many drivers just dont care when they hit a cat, in Wick there are not that many stray cats so surely any driver would know that if they hit a cat it is more than likely someones loved pet so they should stop and see if it has a collar on it.

The only solution to stop losing your pets to road accidents is have a house cat, my four manage perfectly fine being house cats.

big red
24-Apr-07, 17:38
Hi Justine I to am very sorry to hear about your cat and i agree with Gizmo, perhaps the answer is to have a house cat. over the years i've had quite a few and i worried all the time they were out, especially if they stayed out all night. We always had 4 cats and two dogs but since the dogs passed away in 2000 (they were 16yrs and 15yrs) we replaced them with another two cats and they all live quite happily indoors. I feel they are much safer these days inside and i get no end of entertainment from the antics of them at times. Perhaps the kids would go for this idea, don't you think.

DarkAngel
24-Apr-07, 21:50
Oh No Justine im so sorry to hear about your poor cat!
:(

percy toboggan
24-Apr-07, 22:09
I looked at a house on Cairndhuna Terrace in '05. Very thick walls it had.A very presentable property going for 53k. - I expect they've gone up a tad. I digress.

Sorry to hear about your cat. As it was a residential street I think I might have made enquiries if the hour had been earlier. Did the cat have an identifying disc with your address or phone number on? If not then you really cannot grumble too much.Do you really expect a driver to be knocking on doors close to midnight?

I once ran over a cat quite accidentally and it lay writhing in the road. It was 5am. and nothing else for it but to try and finish it off quickly. What followed was quite horrendous for me and I shall never forget it.

Buy another one after a respectful period and your children will get over it.Invest in an engraved disc.You owe it to your animal.

sweetpea
24-Apr-07, 22:19
Hey Justine, the death of a pet is always hard. I have to confess I ran over a cat once outside Lybster and it was a pet one, not a farm cat. I have to admit I slammed on the brakes (coulda caused an accident if anyone was behind me) and a wifie came out and said it was her neighbours and got a spade and scooped it up. I felt sooo bad but she reassured me and said she would tell her. It came running out of nowhere and there was nothing I could do.

Solus
24-Apr-07, 22:23
collars and id tags....... i have found over the years with any cat that i had it was more dangerous for the cat to wear these things.... cats being cats climb and jump and it would not be the first time a cat has got caught up on a branch or the like.

percy toboggan
24-Apr-07, 22:26
collars and id tags....... i have found over the years with any cat that i had it was more dangerous for the cat to wear these things.... cats being cats climb and jump and it would not be the first time a cat has got caught up on a branch or the like.

Our Mickey wore an engraved disc on an elasticated collar for fifteen years. By the end the etching was very faded but could still be made out. I agree it's a choice. But if you dont use a disc then you can't really complain about not being informed of late night road deaths in my opinion.

Lolabelle
24-Apr-07, 22:44
In Australia cats are not allowed to roam at night. By law, cats have to be locked up after dark. This is because of the damage they cause among the native wildlife. So you may be better off to keep any future feline pets indoors at night. It works fine here.

Victoria
25-Apr-07, 09:10
Hi Justine I to am very sorry to hear about your cat and i agree with Gizmo, perhaps the answer is to have a house cat. over the years i've had quite a few and i worried all the time they were out, especially if they stayed out all night. We always had 4 cats and two dogs but since the dogs passed away in 2000 (they were 16yrs and 15yrs) we replaced them with another two cats and they all live quite happily indoors. I feel they are much safer these days inside and i get no end of entertainment from the antics of them at times. Perhaps the kids would go for this idea, don't you think.

Sorry to hear about stitch :(

We've had quite a few cats over the years that have gone the same way but I still wouldn't recommend a house cat - IMO i think its a bit cruel.

paris
25-Apr-07, 09:29
Really sorry and feeling for you right now. Been there a few times our selfs. jan x

justine
25-Apr-07, 10:50
Hi well in answer to a few of the comments. he did have two collars on, no there was no id tag as i dont agree with them, microchips are better but not an easy way to id a cat..The place he was killed was right outside the house, i know that it was late but our light was on and they could have knocked to see if we knew whos it was.I would not mind being knocked up if it meant someone did not have to find out later what had happened.

He does not normally go out at night, but he had his last meal and then went to the toilet out in the garden, from what i can gather he was actually chased by another cat and he ran out into the road....I dont blame the person who did this personally i just think they couls have stopped.I have it from the person who told me about the cat that they saw the car at the bottom of the street, and the person was out of the car checking their car and then just drove off, and i am sure that the figure of a cat directly under a lamp post, writhing around the floor could not have been missed..But there is not much we can do about it now except get on with things....

blondscot
25-Apr-07, 22:38
Sorry to hear about your cat i had the same thing happen to one of mine right outside my door and knew nothing about it until i found him in the morning! I would have liked to have had the chance to get him to a vet or at least be with him at the end but it were not possible and i found that really hard, at least you would have been able to be there for your cat which dont make it any easier but is better than not being there at all!!

I think that even if the driver knew that they had hit a cat they would have no clue where the cat lived and if they didna stop they might have thought that whatever they had hit had ran away as i dont think the street lights are strong enough to illuminate the middle of the road from the road end
Maybe a house cat would have been a better choice after losing a previous cat the same way!!

horseman
26-Apr-07, 00:29
Makes bad reading justine,every excuse in the world,but it don't even come close to helping when that nasty comes up,I know, we have that to many times..New kitten ..best bet..:)

Metalattakk
26-Apr-07, 02:55
...and i am sure that the figure of a cat directly under a lamp post, writhing around the floor could not have been missed..

With all due respect, I think that a cat that has been mortally wounded by being run over by a car would be in no fit state to "writhe" at all. Run-over cats are NOT at all similar to ever-so-slightly wounded footballers.

I suspect you've over-egged the pudding with that sentence.

Big Jean
26-Apr-07, 03:14
I am so sorry for you and the children Justine, to read about the loss of your cat . It is always upsetting when it is a loved pet, and especially when it dies this way . Hopefully in time, you might be able to think about getting another kitten for your children .

justine
26-Apr-07, 12:33
With all due respect, I think that a cat that has been mortally wounded by being run over by a car would be in no fit state to "writhe" at all. Run-over cats are NOT at all similar to ever-so-slightly wounded footballers.

I suspect you've over-egged the pudding with that sentence.

No.That was the information that i got from the man that found him He was arriving home and thought that the cat was playing in the road.When they got out the taxi he realised there was something wrong and then the cat flopped over and passed away, so no i think he was trying to get across the road even after he was hit. The blood was from one side of the road to the other where he finally fell.....

Solus
26-Apr-07, 14:43
Metalattakk, i hope you never have to witness it then, its not nice !

Justine i am so sorry, it must have been very distressing for you and your family,

justine
26-Apr-07, 15:06
no worries solus. I just wish people would stop thinking that a cat dies instantly when they are hit. This is my third cat in total to be hit.My first got hit on a main raod and managed to get back 1/4 mile home to the back garden where he passed away...

Dont think we will be getting another cat though. I know that the kids will forget what happened in time but neither myself nor my hubby can forget that easy,We will have to see what the future brings....

Solus
26-Apr-07, 15:09
I understand where you are coming from, my mum has lost a few cats over time this way... so now she keeps them all indoors. Even out in the country, where you think they are safe it still happens... but i would not not get another, keep it indoors, some say its cruel, but i dont think so, plenty of toys, climbing frames, scratch posts etc, mine is happy as larry sitting in her window suning herself and watching the birds in the garden.

justine
26-Apr-07, 15:12
I could not keep a house cat.I dont believe in it. I have rabbits at home that are house rabbits. They have hutches for the night time but thats it. Even when they in the garden they are not in an enclosure, they have free range...I know the kids would like another cat but i might try to find something else that they can get their interests in,one that does not roam....Any suggestions. We have rabbits and chinchillas...

Victoria
26-Apr-07, 15:34
Fish????....

justine
26-Apr-07, 15:36
we tried that already. The kids cant understand why they stop moving when they pick them up.I could not get them to leave the fish alone....But i would love a fish tank....

Victoria
26-Apr-07, 15:40
what about hampsters or mice or rats?

Solus
26-Apr-07, 15:45
Get a ragdoll kitten, take to indoors no probs, mainly because they are big softies and cant fight sleep. Pick them up and they are just like a ragdoll, haning limp inyour arms, purring away and the more you handle them the more relaxed they become over time, ideal for toddlers who like to drag poor kitty by the neck !!!

justine
26-Apr-07, 16:16
done the mice and rats......oldest would like a snake and one would like a lizard.eeeeek....Like the sound of a rag doll kitten, but will have to wait for now........

Solus
26-Apr-07, 16:22
Justine, when we are up and settled in caithness, i will invite you over and you can see first hand what they are like ! take the kids too

Victoria
26-Apr-07, 16:29
Now I was one of those!!! lol [lol]

Victoria
26-Apr-07, 16:33
I mean WANT!

justine
26-Apr-07, 16:40
i am with you on that on. Arent they the most gorgeous litlle things you couls ever see.......

Victoria
26-Apr-07, 16:42
My boyfried would like a Bengal kitten.

We have our dog at the moment but we wouldnt get a cat at the moment because of the road issue.

blondscot
26-Apr-07, 17:20
I have several inside cats who get outside in purpose built cat pens and they are happy enough to be kept indoors!! It keeps them safe especially after i lost one cat to the traffic!!
Ragdoll cats are lovely but they are expensive as are any pedigree cat, but normal moggies can live indoors quite happily if they have been brought up like that and they have plenty of stimulation,

justine
26-Apr-07, 17:24
can a cat be truely happy if it is kept in.I am not knocking anyone for keeping cats inside i am just curious if they are happy not doing what is natural.As i have never had an indoor cat i would not know if they are different if not allowed to roam free.....

Solus
26-Apr-07, 17:39
guess we can only answerthat question based on our observations of a indoor cat, ours, seems very happy, no more or no less than the ginger tom that has adopted us as his new providers of food and warmth.

Ours, plays all the time, runs around the house like a thing possessed ( possibly is possessed ) purrs away to herself in the window, " chats" away to the birds in the garden, snuggles up to the dogs when she needs some company !

I would add that i do believe in letting cats outside, but like them to be in at bed time ( cant have them doing all sorts at night you know !! drinking singing fighting tsk tsk) I only chose to keep this one inside as she is a pedigree and due to costs, thefts etc she lives in, but as with most pedigree's cats, they seem to take to indoors very easily, but good old moggies adapt just as well.

Others may disagree with indoor cats, but its my personal choice, and its works well.

justine
26-Apr-07, 17:42
i am glad that yur cat is content.I ams ure that most cats are happy to stay in i just remember stitch charging around the back garden after the kids pulling a piece of rope....But i do think that if we get a cat then it will be in during the dark hours....