PDA

View Full Version : My apologies for the intrusion....

John Little
16-Dec-15, 12:31
Having withdrawn from the Org for two years, I was minded to return, for I like a bit of argument and discussion and the Org was once unparalleled in this regard.

It has changed.

I posted some discussion topics in the hope that some craic might be sparked.

It was.

Four people have told me in the last day or so that;

I should not be posting irrelevant stuff on a community website.
I left a long time ago and only revisit infrequently.
That I should not be posting ‘disrespectful’ stuff on the Org.

On the first point, I see a lot of stuff posted that is not about local matters. I assume that the people objecting wish only to talk about affairs in the immediate area and would wish to discourage discussion of wider issues.

If this is a true reflection of local feeling then I have no interest in remaining here, for discussion and argument with all comers was one of the main attractions of the Org.

On the second point- yes I did leave a long time ago and I do revisit infrequently. The same applies to many other posters – including some of the people who have objected to my posts. So people outside the community should apparently not be posting – unless they live in Canada or Edinburgh. Unless of course the censure applies only to me – but that seems a bit inconsistent. So on the second point I have no interest in remaining where I am not welcome; that is not the Caithness I knew.

Thirdly, I was curious to see what would happen if I posted a ‘controversial’ picture and said ‘Oh Dear’ about it. It was very instructive; as Gleeber said, the responses said a lot about the respondents. It did however make quite clear that there is now a code on what may and may not be discussed on this forum. If that is so then I am not interested.

So on all three points I have no interest in remaining here.

It seems to me that if the Org is not for outsiders or people who have not lived in the Far North for many years, not for general discussion, and that what is posted must be ‘vanilla’, then it needs to be spelled out.

Because if it were then someone like myself, despite my own thick hide as regards insults, would not dream of intruding upon your community website, because to do so is just plain bad manners.

Last time I sort of faded from the Org.

This time I leave with apologies for intruding. It was a mistake.

Hang the flags out Golach.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.

squidge
16-Dec-15, 12:41
Oh John,

I'm sorry you are going :( it's been fun having you back and discussions that people can get their teeth into. So many people think it's ok to be insulting and downright rude about others that it's a shame.

Take care John.

crashbandicoot1979
16-Dec-15, 12:49
No! Your threads are the best thing to happen on here for ages. Granted, I don't tend to contribute but they make great reading. In reponses to the 3 points:

I should not be posting irrelevant stuff on a community website. - this isn't a community forum, its a general forum
I left a long time ago and only revisit infrequently. - that's not a law as far as I'm aware. I've been here longer than most and I'm always infrequent
That I should not be posting ‘disrespectful’ stuff on the Org. - if someone thinks something is disrespectful that's their deal. Everything in life is subjective. The whole point of debate is to discuss these differences

I understand your decision but its a real shame and I for one welcomed your presence.

Green_not_greed
16-Dec-15, 13:39
John

Will be sorry to see you go. Things change and sadly the org is not what it used to be. I was hoping your return may have prompted some action.... sadly not the case.

GNG

gleeber
16-Dec-15, 18:35
Having withdrawn from the Org for two years, I was minded to return, for I like a bit of argument and discussion and the Org was once unparalleled in this regard.

It has changed.

It was.

On the first point, I see a lot of stuff posted that is not about local matters. I assume that the people objecting wish only to talk about affairs in the immediate area and would wish to discourage discussion of wider issues.

If this is a true reflection of local feeling then I have no interest in remaining here, for discussion and argument with all comers was one of the main attractions of the Org.

On the second point- yes I did leave a long time ago and I do revisit infrequently. The same applies to many other posters – including some of the people who have objected to my posts. So people outside the community should apparently not be posting – unless they live in Canada or Edinburgh. Unless of course the censure applies only to me – but that seems a bit inconsistent. So on the second point I have no interest in remaining where I am not welcome; that is not the Caithness I knew.

Thirdly, I was curious to see what would happen if I posted a ‘controversial’ picture and said ‘Oh Dear’ about it. It was very instructive; as Gleeber said, the responses said a lot about the respondents. It did however make quite clear that there is now a code on what may and may not be discussed on this forum. If that is so then I am not interested.

It seems to me that if the Org is not for outsiders or people who have not lived in the Far North for many years, not for general discussion, and that what is posted must be ‘vanilla’, then it needs to be spelled out.

Because if it were then someone like myself, despite my own thick hide as regards insults, would not dream of intruding upon your community website, because to do so is just plain bad manners.

Ironically John Little is more of a local than most people who use this site. He was one of the original "atomicers" in Thurso. The atomics is the area in Thurso that was built especially for the influx of workers and their families who came to Thurso to work at Dounreay in the mid 50s. A very special badge of honour.

golach
16-Dec-15, 18:51

It has changed.

It was.

John Little, why throw your toys out of the pram , I posted that it was in my opinion only, that I disagreed with you.
you must suffer from a very thin skin, if so I agree that the Org may not be the place for you, but again that is my humble opinion only, for what is worth. The only Flag I hang out these days is the Union Flag, not for you leaving, but much more important reasons.
regards Golach

bekisman
16-Dec-15, 20:17
My Apologies to John Little

Yes, it was me that encouraged John to return to The Org, hoping that it would liven it up from it’s apparent stupor that has occasioned itself over the last few years..
The ridiculous posting accusing John “who hardly ever comes near the place” sounds rather nonsensical when it’s considered that among the varied membership of the Org - from those few who actually appended their location - was Australia with SIX members, USA with Eight, New Zealand with two, Canada with ten, Germany with 5, let alone Austria, Kuwait, Spain, France, Wales, and closer to home; Berkshire, Corby, Somerset, Blackpool, Hampshire, Sussex, Lincolnshire, Essex, Norfolk, Warrington, Weymouth, Stockport, Wrexham, and even closer the 13 posters from Edinburgh, or the 8 from Glasgow, 9 from Aberdeen. it’s pointless continuing, but demonstrate this is NOT a parochial forum, but everyone of these thousands of posters have a connection with Caithness in one way or another..
It has been said that the threads are filled “with posts irrelevant to the area” - is ‘The Ban of Public Smoking’ or ‘Ipswch Murders’ or ‘Britain’s got Talent’ Manchester ‘police chief found dead’ relevant to the area? Of course not.

“ a pseudo intellectual”? not a nice or indeed clever accusation, rather ignorant really. Mrs Beks and I have been accommodated by John, (and his lovely equitable wife), and unaccustomed as I am to giving praise, I can say without hesitation, that John is not a ‘pseudo’ intellectual, but can genuinely claim the second description.
John may, to some, appear ‘to push the boundaries’ by posting his various threads, in my view to try and generate ‘discussion’ which unfortunately denigrated into insults, and has been said in private went above the heads of a few, but with a few notable exceptions..
No, this post is in no way sycophantic, and hopefully some will see it as it really is/was, an attempt from one of the thousands of posters who went away, but this one came back to test the waters; unfortunately he was burnt on the sacrificial alter of quasi-political correctness..

Janmac101
16-Dec-15, 21:49
There are many of us who are/were locals and no longer of that ilk.
I think his 'music' was just too 'over the top'. He stated he was an English Teacher, thus showing his prowess.
But why don't we just communicate in normal tone.
It is a World known fact that the Queen's English is spoken North of Inverness. Now I originally heard that many years ago from Bamber Gascoigne on University Challenge, yes many, many years ago and apparently it still holds true.
Perhaps Little was promoting his 'story'. Who knows but I felt it was a bit over the top.
Now, personal views on here get attacked as we have been reading.
So we shall see.

Janmac101
16-Dec-15, 22:01
You are also part of that Alter.
Little and yourself 'talked' to each other on private matters, that no one cared about.
You were just contributing to each other, and then someone asks that you tone it down a bit and look at your response.
I have been reading for quite some time.
I personally disagree that he was an asset. I still feel the pics he posted were 'tacky'.,so be it.

bekisman
16-Dec-15, 22:24
You are also part of that Alter.
Little and yourself 'talked' to each other on private matters, that no one cared about.
You were just contributing to each other, and then someone asks that you tone it down a bit and look at your response.
I have been reading for quite some time.
I personally disagree that he was an asset. I still feel the pics he posted were 'tacky'.,so be it.
Oh God is HE back? (Mr Jen) thought you'd gone? Oh, I see you've been "reading for quite some time" blinking heck we're inundated with sock-puppets! :lol:

Kenn
17-Dec-15, 00:13
What you apologising for John, welcome back, lets have some banter, lets stir the pot.

you
17-Dec-15, 01:14
I have been an admirer of the Org for years and use it frequently to see what is going on in the real world but I do not post often in the forums. I appreciate the banter that does go on and am sorry to read that a member is bowing out.

rob murray
17-Dec-15, 10:26
John, theres plenty of vocal people on this site who were non Caithnessians but lived in Caithness for short periods of time, as well as "native" Caithnessians who have moved away ( me for one ) and Caithnessians, so theres a wide spread of folk who post some frequent and some infrequently and yes as the point was made, some postings can be seen as "rude" ( hey I was told on a politics thread "if I didnt like it sod off south !!!!) but the site is moderated and any over the top nonsense is dealt with, recently a poster was banned for the sheer bad tone and context of some of the postings made, in my view the correct decision to make. So keep on posting, there has been some really interesting threads ie one on history got a really good resonse from a variety of posters. Politics, by its nature is volatile and you need a thick skin for involvement there. So as a native Caithessian living outwith the county, I ask you to re consider and re join all us exiles, Ive interacted with you and enjoyed your thoughts / postings.

Phill
17-Dec-15, 11:40
That escalated quickly.

Saveman
17-Dec-15, 16:50
Having expressed many opinions and beliefs on the Org over the years I find that you get cursed and praised in equal measure. Reading other peoples opinions and reaction is always the joy and the challenge. Stick around John Little, let people have their viewpoint on you and you on them, but let the discussion and debate continue. Its the Org way.

Janmac101
17-Dec-15, 17:15
Oh God is HE back? (Mr Jen) thought you'd gone? Oh, I see you've been "reading for quite some time" blinking heck we're inundated with sock-puppets! :lol:

It seems you use the Puppets quite regularly....
Firstly let me draw the entire populous to The Cremation Thread. Comment 19 by you was in my opinion 'tacky' to say the least. The Horseman respectfully requested that it be kept to the 'guardroom'.
Suddenly he/she made a Brash and Affronted entrance to caithness.org. Really?
Then you stated you would delete a thread, then brought it back. Some items were deleted, some were changed
So perhaps it is you who should stop taking ownership of Org., and let others post as they wish.
And sometimes take some direction from the general posters.
Obviously John Little has good education, but why would he try to impress everyone with his dialogue. That includes you.
Talk normal my man/woman. I say that as I have been advised that there are those on here, who are men but use female names, and perhaps vice versa.
As you said, anyone can ignore my thoughts and go away.

bekisman
17-Dec-15, 20:23
Firstly let me draw the entire populous to The Cremation Thread. Comment 19 by you was in my opinion 'tacky' to say the least. The Horseman respectfully requested that it be kept to the 'guardroom'.
Then you stated you would delete a thread, then brought it back. Some items were deleted, some were changed
So perhaps it is you who should stop taking ownership of Org., and let others post as they wish.
Obviously John Little has good education, but why would he try to impress everyone with his dialogue. That includes you.
Talk normal my man/woman. I say that as I have been advised that there are those on here, who are men but use female names, and perhaps vice versa.
soory mate, i well try and tak not soo posh, as u no you are a sock puppet, your admittting hit above! tak a deap breth and kalm down - cremation thread? eh, wot was so bad about dat den? eh? seams too me u r an inverted snob!! kalm down and itwill be find..

Rheghead
18-Dec-15, 09:01
John, perhaps you had greater expectations than Reality since you were encouraged to return to the Org?

bekisman
18-Dec-15, 17:32
Just arrived back from outwith the county (was using other means to chat on Org), now had chance to look at your mention: "The Cremation Thread. Comment 19 by you" .. bit lost on I'm afraid old chap, as this is comment 19: 'Oh well now found the legislation #17 that survey poll was referring to, supposed this Thread is now finished' The horseman/janmac101 seems to be confused?:eek:

Janmac101
18-Dec-15, 23:10
Glad you survived. I was just thinking how appropriate your bottom comment in red appears.
Anyway John is gone....your Mate.....bye

bekisman
18-Dec-15, 23:39
Glad you survived. I was just thinking how appropriate your bottom comment in red appears.
Anyway John is gone....your Mate.....bye
Come on old chap, clear this up "comment 19"? Re my signature, your comments certainly rings hollow, as unfortunately it certainly seems by perusal your lack of joy is palpable.. my mate John gone, eh? nah, he only popped in to see how the org was going, and quite understandable he's wandered off again with the nonsense you seem to peddle.. So 'the horseman/janmac101' is this 'bye' referring to you too?
Hope not as I actually I quite enjoy this chatting to those who have SO much to learn!