PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with best mans speech

Ashes
23-Apr-07, 20:21
I've been asked by my brother to be best man at his wedding and I'm not a very good speeker, can anyone give me any ideas or funny things to say that will make it a bit easier. Kind regards Ashes

fred
23-Apr-07, 20:27
I've been asked by my brother to be best man at his wedding and I'm not a very good speeker, can anyone give me any ideas or funny things to say that will make it a bit easier. Kind regards Ashes

Mentioning that the bride must have had trouble remembering the order of the ceremony because you kept hearing her mumbling "aisle, alter, hymn" usually goes down well.

Jeemag_USA
23-Apr-07, 20:31
Mentioning that the bride must have had trouble remembering the order of the ceremony because you kept hearing her mumbling "aisle, alter, hymn" usually goes down well.

HA HA HA, I wish I had known that one at my wedding, thats classic :Razz

Victoria
23-Apr-07, 21:47

LMAO!!!!......

j4bberw0ck
23-Apr-07, 22:40
http://www.hitched.co.uk/speeches/examples/index.asp

....courtesy of a quick Google for "best man's speeches". Who'd have thought it? :lol: Good luck.

JAWS
24-Apr-07, 00:13
Even I have to admit that one's a cracker, fred. :lol:

Ashes, I believe jokes involving Nairobi don't go down too well though! :eek:

Jeid
24-Apr-07, 00:36
Ask Henry20... she wrote mine for me ;)

Saveman
24-Apr-07, 11:57
"It's been an emotional day I'm sure everyone would agree, even the cake is in tears......."

".....they say some marriages are made in heaven, but so is thunder and lightning...."

"It is best that husbands always have the last words in an argument: yes dear!"

henry20
24-Apr-07, 12:05
Ask Henry20... she wrote mine for me

...... and a wonderful speech it was too!! ;)

Don't make your speech too long - nothing worse than having to sit and listen to someone for ages - especially if it goes off on a tangent. If you aren't sure if something will go down well or not, miss it out. Have an equal balance of soppy stuff and fun stuff. You'll know your family well and hopefully you'll know the brides family, so should have a good idea of what they'd find funny or not.

As I was the bride, I knew how far Jeid could go with making fun of the bride, groom & bride's mother without going too far. Make it as light hearted as possible.

If you really aren't confident about speaking, write the whole thing down so that if need be, you can just read it out - but ideally you shouldn't have to.

Make sure you know what you are meant to cover - are you doing toast to bridesmaids?

Relax and enjoy. Everything will be fine. :)

Angela
24-Apr-07, 12:28
There's a very good series of little books published by "Confetti", including "The Best Man's Speech" (£5.59 from Amazon) and "The Best Man's Wedding: a guide to your role" (£3.99 from Amazon). Others in the series for bridesmaids, parents etc - I would certainly recommend them.

Anyway -good luck, Ashes -hope you all have a great day! :D

MGB1979
24-Apr-07, 16:59
*Bride* looks absolutely fantastic today - just one in a million. *Groom* looks as good as ever - just won in a raffle.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
24-Apr-07, 17:08
The Best Mans Speech.Its aw changed.In the days of yore ye wid blether how the bride and groom met.These days ye can do yer speech how they first "met"and whether the videos available on "You Tube" :lol: :lol:

Fran
25-Apr-07, 02:36
I have a book on wedding speeches if you would like it.

Victoria
25-Apr-07, 08:56
*Bride* looks absolutely fantastic today - just one in a million. *Groom* looks as good as ever - just won in a raffle.

Hahahahha that had me in stitches!!!!!

I'm loveing all these little funny remarks - keep em coming

ronmck
25-Apr-07, 14:05
Was at a wedding recently where the Best Man complimented the mother of the bride on her pale blue outfit and then stated that the Groom would prefer to see her in something brown, long and flowing--------preferably the River Ness. Went down a storm, even the Bride's Mother laughed

Fucas Serratas
25-Apr-07, 19:46
"May your marriage be like a kitchen table", 4 bare legs and no drawers"

George Brims
25-Apr-07, 20:53
One thing you must avoid as Best Man - do NOT tell tales of silly things the groom did years ago when he was single, how drunk he was at the time, what the nice policeman said to get him down from there etc etc.

Anyone own a Tardis? I need to go back to 1978 and have a word with mine...

George Brims
25-Apr-07, 20:59
and the groom is not, you can let him know what he's in for.

A mannie from Week came home horribly drunk one night. He wakes up and feels just awful, and can't remember much. He goes to the bathroom and discovers that as well as a frightful hangover he has two black eyes. On going downstairs he finds the table set for breakfast and his wife cooking. He sits at the table and the wife pours him a cup of tea, but doesn't say anything. Feeling he had better broach the subject he says "Listen my dear, I really must apologise for coming home in that awful state last night, and with these two black eyes." The wife sets his breakfast in front of him and says "No need to say another word. You didn't have those when you got home".

Ashes
30-Apr-07, 19:50
:lol: Thanks every one, some really funny helpful things I can put together.:lol:
Kind regards Ashes