PDA

View Full Version : Religion....changing times.

The Horseman
07-Dec-15, 03:34
I have just been reading of a new report, stating that Britain is no longer a Christian country, and that some of the Bishops and other traditional Clergy should be replaced by Imams, Rabbis and other Non Christian Clerics, even Evangelical Pastors. This would also include the House of Lords.
In the Western World in certain places, even the word Christmas is being dropped in favour of just Holiday.
As it would appear that the org has rather a cross section of followers/even worshipers(worshippers), perhaps the thoughts of this Congregation should be heard......And before I am accused of misdeeds there are two distinctive spellings for the word 'W'.
Thank you.

theone
07-Dec-15, 04:49
I have just been reading of a new report, stating that Britain is no longer a Christian country, and that some of the Bishops and other traditional Clergy should be replaced by Imams, Rabbis and other Non Christian Clerics, even Evangelical Pastors. This would also include the House of Lords.
In the Western World in certain places, even the word Christmas is being dropped in favour of just Holiday.
As it would appear that the org has rather a cross section of followers/even worshipers(worshippers), perhaps the thoughts of this Congregation should be heard......And before I am accused of misdeeds there are two distinctive spellings for the word 'W'.
Thank you.

I would agree that Britain is no longer a Christian country.

I don't believe it's because people are turning to other religions, it is because more and more people are becoming atheist or agnostic. I once read the results of a survey that 70% of those who stated 'christian' as their religion also answered 'NO' to 'do you believe in god'.

As for replacing the clergy - if you don't have religion, you don't need religious leaders. Just get rid of them all.

Rheghead
08-Dec-15, 07:43
I feel that the UK media has twisted the outcome of this report to sensationalise the fears of degrading British values, instead, the media should have promoted the basic message of the report that we need to look forward and develop British values so that they cater for all.

Here is the website of the group that commissioned the report. http://www.corab.org.uk/

bekisman
08-Dec-15, 10:26
I feel that the UK media has twisted the outcome of this report to sensationalise the fears of degrading British values, instead, the media should have promoted the basic message of the report that we need to look forward and develop British values so that they cater for all.

Here is the website of the group that commissioned the report. http://www.corab.org.uk/
That's a long 104 pages Reggy, but interesting. Page 86 'Religious Affiliation' may well be incorrect, I know many many friends who tick the 'Christian' box, although they are in no-way religious, maybe why the pie chart gives 59%..
Not wishing to offend, but I personally do not see why a 'religion' is necessary (where's 'the happy humanist' Orger?) As long as one leads a decent life and hurts no one then fine, why is a deity required? (where's Saveman ?) I've seen a few horrible sights in my time, I hate the two words in one sentence; "Children's Hospice" I continue, in my 7 decade to ask 'why'? Of course I could well be wrong, but seems we have been given free-will.. BUT S.G. Tallentyr's words hold true in my 'belief'.
A few weeks ago we visited in Lancs. a close Muslim friend, and were quite happy for him to Salat al-'asr whilst Mrs Beks and I looked at photographs.. just a few thoughts and not wishing to offend..

davth
08-Dec-15, 11:06
To be completely frank, religion is a massive pile of rubbish and is the root of most of the problems in today's world.
If people could admit to themselves that we are here for a short while, dead for eternity. There is no overseeing lord of any kind, no one watching over us nothing.
When we die its lights out, shutdown, thee will be no reboot in heaven, no 40 virgins awaiting us, no afterlife. We are wormfood or ashes simple as that.

Stop religion, solve many many issues worldwide.

Fulmar
08-Dec-15, 12:23
To be completely frank, religion is a massive pile of rubbish and is the root of most of the problems in today's world.
If people could admit to themselves that we are here for a short while, dead for eternity. There is no overseeing lord of any kind, no one watching over us nothing.
When we die its lights out, shutdown, thee will be no reboot in heaven, no 40 virgins awaiting us, no afterlife. We are wormfood or ashes simple as that.

Stop religion, solve many many issues worldwide.

I respect your opinion to which you are entitled (although I would like to see the proof of what you assert) but surely rather dictatorial to say 'Stop Religion'! You can't achieve it anyway (thank God) and people are made to have and have always have had a spiritual nature and have felt that there is something greater and more profound than themselves. Look at the Neolithic monuments that surround you everywhere here- they are testament to this.
As for me, in this season of Advent, I am preparing to celebrate the birth of the person whom Christmas is all about, namely Jesus Christ.

Alrock
08-Dec-15, 13:35
I respect your opinion to which you are entitled (although I would like to see the proof of what you assert) but surely rather dictatorial to say 'Stop Religion'! You can't achieve it anyway (thank God) and people are made to have and have always have had a spiritual nature and have felt that there is something greater and more profound than themselves. Look at the Neolithic monuments that surround you everywhere here- they are testament to this.
As for me, in this season of Advent, I am preparing to celebrate the birth of the person whom Christmas is all about, namely Jesus Christ.

I respect your opinion to which you are entitled (although I would like to see the proof of what you assert)

davth
08-Dec-15, 14:46
Ash but someone wrote a tale many years ago of the local village bike who persuaded her fella that she has been knocked up miraculously and it wasn't the result of being rattled behind the inn.
He was gullible enough to fall for this and the rest is a figment of the imagination.

However fulmar it is customary to prove the existence of a thing, not to prove something's non existence.
Next you will be telling me you found a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow whilst out flying on your magic carpet

davth
08-Dec-15, 14:52
I am not a huge fan of the schools pushing religion on my kids either they come home ratting on about Jebus and how God created the world then I have to spend ages telling them yes again that it is nonsense and that the Big Bang and evolution is where we came from

Hoggie
09-Dec-15, 12:31
I'm proud of my children: they come home telling me how they put the teacher right when he tries to push atheism on them, in RE lessons.

davth
09-Dec-15, 12:42
I'm proud of my children: they come home telling me how they put the teacher right when he tries to push atheism on them, in RE lessons.

Atheism is the only thing that should be taught in RE.
How exactly have they "put him right"?

dc1
09-Dec-15, 13:00
atheism is form of religion or a belief system

bekisman
09-Dec-15, 13:03
This more or less sums it up?
Atheism is not a belief system nor is it a religion.
While there are some religions that are atheistic (certain sects of Buddhism, for example), that does not mean that atheism is a religion. Two commonly used retorts to the nonsense that atheism is a religion are: 1) If atheism is a religion then bald is a hair color, and 2) If atheism is a religion then health is a disease. A new one introduced in 2012 by Bill Maher is, "If atheism is a religion, then abstinence is a sexual position."

The only common thread that ties all atheists together is a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings. Some of the best debates we have ever had have been with fellow atheists. This is because atheists do not have a common belief system, sacred scripture or atheist Pope. This means atheists often disagree on many issues and ideas. Atheists come in a variety of shapes, colors, beliefs, convictions, and backgrounds. We are as unique as our fingerprints.
So there!

dc1
09-Dec-15, 13:18
you don't belief in a god is that not a belief system

bekisman
09-Dec-15, 13:31
Bit pedantic that, personally I do not believe in a supreme being.. basically I'm not one who may well say "my God's better than yours, and if you disagree I'll kill you".. Nah, I have my 'thought's' and 'experiences' of life and from those came to my own conclusions. I leave it to others to do, say, believe, what they like as long basically they leave me alone..

Just realised, is this forum taking off again, after it's stupor of late years?