PDA

View Full Version : Scottish no more

Westward
03-Dec-15, 19:11
Got a letter today from NHS SCOTLAND in cahoots with COSLA......a survey,
all the usual questions in it, however, when it came to ethnics, these were the choices;

White
Mixed or multiple ethnic groups
Asian, Asian Scottish, Asian British
African, Carribbean, Black or Black British
Other ethnic group

No room for Scottish white, or just plain old Scottish..

I was tempted to return to sender.......I may still, I do think it somewhat petty that I may not consider myself Scottish
when I was born here, lived here all of my life, etc

bekisman
03-Dec-15, 19:37
all the usual questions in it, however, when it came to ethnics, these were the choices;

White
Other ethnic group

I was tempted to return to sender.......I may still, I do think it somewhat petty that I may not consider myself Scottish
Got that one as well it's Question 54. Where's Asian English or Black English?? Also like Q55 do you think of yourself as Heterosexual, Straight, gay, Lesbian, Bisexual or 'Other' eh 'other'?

tonkatojo
03-Dec-15, 19:46

White
Other ethnic group

I was born South of the border as a "Geordie", when I receive those type of letters I just select the "other ethnic group" if it irks me, but that's me fooling around my nationality is not a serious issue with me.

golach
03-Dec-15, 22:09

White
Other ethnic group

Scotland is not a country recognised by the Un, so why should it have a seperate ethnic standing?

Westward
04-Dec-15, 19:27
Scotland is not a country recognised by the Un, so why should it have a seperate ethnic standing?

Scotland is a country, a part of Britain...if I was English & white I'd be answering British white or English white, but I am not, I am Scottish & white.

tonkatojo
04-Dec-15, 20:42
Scotland is a country, a part of Britain...if I was English & white I'd be answering British white or English white, but I am not, I am Scottish & white.

The problem is England Scotland Wales are not independent countries http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/states.htm

The Yanks recognise these ones http://www.state.gov/s/inr/rls/4250.htm

Hence your British white the same as the English white and the Welsh white are, now when independence arrives you can then crow your Scottish white but not till then so it seems.

rob murray
04-Dec-15, 20:55
The problem is England Scotland Wales are not independent countries http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/states.htm

Hence your British white the same as the English white and the Welsh white are, now when independence arrives you can then crow your Scottish white but not till then so it seems.

Check yer passport it says UK /Great Britain if your a Brit !

Westward
05-Dec-15, 16:30

Every form I have ever filled in has had "Scottish" on it..these could have been for jobs, survey's..applications for all sorts..the fact that Scotland is not Independent is neither here nor there in this instance,

I wonder if the Prime Minister is classed a Great British White.

Westward
05-Dec-15, 19:15

You mention England, Scotland & Wales..not Northern Ireland..?

bekisman
05-Dec-15, 19:23
And, to make it more confusing: "UNITED KINGDOM" - Sovereign State consisting of four constituent countries -> England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

"BRITAIN" - Just another name for the UK (see link in source). Some British people are even confused by this, and exclude Northern Ireland from their description of Britain. It IS indeed in Britain.

"GREAT BRITAIN" - Refers only to the main and largest island of the UK, which consists of England, Scotland and Wales. Can also be described as the "UK Mainland" or "British Mainland".

"BRITISH ISLES" - Refers to both the island of Great Britain and the island of Ireland together, despite Ireland not being anything to do with the UK/Britain. This description usually includes the smaller islands scattered around the UK also (Isle of Man, Jersey etc.)

tonkatojo
06-Dec-15, 11:40
And, to make it more confusing: "UNITED KINGDOM" - Sovereign State consisting of four constituent countries -> England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

"BRITAIN" - Just another name for the UK (see link in source). Some British people are even confused by this, and exclude Northern Ireland from their description of Britain. It IS indeed in Britain.

"GREAT BRITAIN" - Refers only to the main and largest island of the UK, which consists of England, Scotland and Wales. Can also be described as the "UK Mainland" or "British Mainland".

"BRITISH ISLES" - Refers to both the island of Great Britain and the island of Ireland together, despite Ireland not being anything to do with the UK/Britain. This description usually includes the smaller islands scattered around the UK also (Isle of Man, Jersey etc.)

Totally agree its a right sow's ear, I always thought Northern Ireland was called a "Provence" but part of the UK.

piratelassie
06-Dec-15, 22:51
Scotland has only been part of Britain for 308 yrs. but not for much longer, watch this space. Then we can sort out ALL our problems, all we need is confidence and loose the inferiority complex.

bekisman
06-Dec-15, 22:58
Scotland has only been part of Britain for 308 yrs. but not for much longer, watch this space. Then we can sort out ALL our problems, all we need is confidence and loose the inferiority complex.

"loose the inferiority complex." why, have you got one?

rob murray
07-Dec-15, 11:16
"loose the inferiority complex." why, have you got one?

Seems so : "watch this space"....this person is so blind and deaf that she cannot grasp sturgeon ruling out Indy for the immediate future ??? Swinneys upcomming budget has to take into consideration the loss of oil revenues out by 6,000% on oil direct / oil indirect : ( not counting supply tax revevenue loses ) the budget will kick in real hard choices, and the poor guy has a hell of a job on his hands. Never mind the scandals oppoing up on a regular basis the economy is tanking hence no indy 2 until they know they can win = a health succesful economy which they have to develop....or is it me whose blind, deaf and stupid ?