PDA

View Full Version : Postage charges are crazy

dozy
02-Dec-15, 09:56
What the worse postage charge you have been hit with to a KW14 postcode . I went to buy a metal tool that was less than a tenth of a kilo and cost £3.99 and the seller stated free postage to UK mainland( NOT SCOTLAND). They stated that all others should email for quotes on postage and times. I put in the KW 14 postcode and they emailed me back with a charge of £ 59.99 plus vat as KW14 is not what they class as mainland.Crazy or what.

bekisman
02-Dec-15, 10:23
You are right there, dozy, got jarred off with it, so now get 99% of my tools and associated gear i.e. Concrete Mixer, even long underground drainage pipes from Toolstation, if it's over £10 worth postage is free - even to 'remote areas' I think that includes Orkney as well.

gerry4
02-Dec-15, 22:23
I think Trading Standards want to hear about these types of charges. I have contact advertising standards for a website and they have forced the company to change its display of free UK delivery

Scunner
03-Dec-15, 01:58
A company asked for£120 for delivery of 3 plug plants. Needless to say I didn't purchase.

The Horseman
03-Dec-15, 03:40
A postage stamp from North America to the UK is $2.50 cents.
A postage stamp from the UK to North America is £2.50..........The UK postage is double the price!
Thought I would keep up the thoughts that I was a Yank! Just for fun....h

bekisman
03-Dec-15, 08:23
A postage stamp from North America to the UK is $2.50 cents.
A postage stamp from the UK to North America is £2.50..........The UK postage is double the price!
Thought I would keep up the thoughts that I was a Yank! Just for fun....h

Eh? you're getting ripped off there, you want to go to Wick Post Office, their price is 85p/£1 to USA!

The Horseman
03-Dec-15, 16:04
One I rec'd?....the other I posted. The same size Christmas card. Perhaps there is a different price for larger than the norm. Dunno....Envelope says it all.

bekisman
03-Dec-15, 19:31
One I rec'd?....the other I posted. The same size Christmas card. Perhaps there is a different price for larger than the norm. Dunno....Envelope says it all.

You are right though, just posted off a small parcel to one of my grand kids down in England - might have been cheaper to take it myself by car!

Kodiak
04-Dec-15, 21:25
This why I use Amazon quite a bit. I am a Amazon Prime member and I will be doing the same this year as last year. I will order my Christmas Presents for my Family in Edinburgh from Amazon. Amazon will gift wrap them and they will deliver them direct to Edinburgh at no extra charge on my Prime membership. Saves me posting, the price of postage and it makes my life easier.

My son does the same in reverse as he buys from Amazon and gets our presents to sent direct to us here in Thurso. Win, win all round :D

Kenn
05-Dec-15, 00:16
Like others I will not use companies that surcharge for living in the north as Royal Mail is the same to any mainland destination.
I also get very annoyed when there is a TV advert that says free delivery and they try and charge me. Trading standards where are you when we want you?

Kevin Milkins
05-Dec-15, 00:33
The bridge is closed and it will be interesting to see who uses this as an excuse to either charge a bit more or say " sorry the parcel is late, but the bridge is closed".

The Horseman
05-Dec-15, 06:07
The bridge is closed and it will be interesting to see who uses this as an excuse to either charge a bit more or say " sorry the parcel is late, but the bridge is closed".

The bridge....where be that bridge?

Kodiak
05-Dec-15, 14:04
The Forth Road Bridge has been closed until the New Year for Repairs. So all traffic has to Via Kincardine Bridge to get to Edinburgh which is about an extra 30 miles.

bekisman
05-Dec-15, 14:22
Where did that one go? was that you Reggie mentioning a Bosch GSB 18V drill Screwfix v Toolstation? Just checked but not sure which model? but expect there are special offers now and then

Rheghead
05-Dec-15, 14:27
It wasn't quite the same model that I was comparing to. Close but not close enough and certainly not worth spending £70 more on.

bekisman
05-Dec-15, 15:12
It wasn't quite the same model that I was comparing to. Close but not close enough and certainly not worth spending £70 more on.

True, as long as it does the same job, who needs bells and whistles...

bekisman
05-Dec-15, 15:26
AND when the Kessock Bridge is 'closed to high sided vehicles' they have to go ALL the way around via Dingwall; poor things

The Horseman
08-Dec-15, 04:27
The Forth Road Bridge has been closed until the New Year for Repairs. So all traffic has to Via Kincardine Bridge to get to Edinburgh which is about an extra 30 miles.

Thanks......beautiful bridge. Saw it lit up one evening a few years ago.