PDA

View Full Version : kids drinks

brew
23-Apr-07, 14:22
as a full time mum i think everyone should know about kids drinks....these are meant to be sugar free but after reading one of my fav magazines i found out that fruit shoots and the h2o ones are full and full of sugar roughly about 10teaspoons full also ribena, ribena toothkind are the same. i think its awful as it is sayin that its a healthy drink for kids! false advertising!

jings00
23-Apr-07, 15:55
a lot of them say "no added sugar" but already have heaps in em already!

brandy
23-Apr-07, 15:56
ahh but does it say sugar free or no added sugar?
have found out my oldest (4) has two yup 2!!! cavities!"
so their entire diet has changed .. its hard going and they still look at me like i am crazy.. but its for their own good!

brew
23-Apr-07, 16:24
its crazy i thought that it was ok for them to drink it, some say sugar free! my sister was letting her son eat those scooby doo meals now and again and there awful says nothings added to it but what it really means is nothing added to whats already in it, my little girl has never gurned when i refuse to buy those drinks so im actually quite glad, my nephew still gets them tho! why i dont know...to keep the piece i think

Solus
23-Apr-07, 17:31
Buy a juicer or a smoothie machine, far healthier, stick the juice in a drinks bottle for taking to school, plus kids love the idea of making their own drinks making it easier for them to drink it as they made it !!!:)

brew
23-Apr-07, 17:45
hey thats real good idea, its soo scary how much crap is in foods, i take ages doing my shopping now even worse having a 3year old so paranoid x

Solus
23-Apr-07, 18:00
yup, turn it into a game for the kids !! let them pick the fruits they want, bang them through the juicer ( the fruit not the kids ) or make smoothies which is great fun, ice cubes, fruit, different stuff for different types, banana and vanilla my favorite.

changilass
23-Apr-07, 18:28
we just give our 3yr old fresh juices diluted down with water (to cut down on the scoots lol)

danc1ngwitch
23-Apr-07, 19:25
It is scarey knowing whats in the food's.
What were we like before we read the labels etc?
Oh and for a while a few years back they had milk bad for you to.:roll:
We are supposed to eat meat and veg, drink water and milk the cow or goat.

Spirit
23-Apr-07, 20:21
I used to buy multipacks of fruit shoot and my daughter would drink between 2 and 5 a day (especially when Granny & Grandad looked after her). By the end of the day she would be running round the walls and swinging from the ceiling.
With two packs ontop of the cupboard I just said no more. I now try to avoid drink which contain Aspartame (sweetener), all those jelly sort of sweeties and smarties, etc.
Now if she asks and I say no, she generally doesn't make a fuss about it and have to say she really likes her fruit and veg. A smoothies maker would just be the thing.

98elite
23-Apr-07, 20:41
we just give our 3yr old fresh juices diluted down with water (to cut down on the scoots lol)

last time my little one was at the dentist he suggested we allow her to take her fresh orange juice threw a straw as it will attack the teeth too, also I have heard about the acid from fruit causing lots of damage to kids teeth, its a minefield.

Fluff
23-Apr-07, 21:06
you will go mad if you try to do everything healthy lol.

things which are no added sugar are not as bad, they contain natural forming suagrs which yes are bad for teeth too (dont brush teeth for up 30 mins after eating/drinking fruit)

i bought a carton of really light ribena today as i am trying to be healthier. YUK, my vomit warmed up would have been nicer! plus it is from concentrate, so not that good for you!

if you want to buy your wee ones something healthy out of shop, go for an innocent smoothie.

check out their website, it has alot of intresting info about their fruits etc
http://www.innocentdrinks.co.uk/

brew
23-Apr-07, 21:08
hey i tried my wee one with the innocent smoothies and it made her sick its quite overpowering for a child

thanks tho

Fluff
23-Apr-07, 21:14
there are ones just for kids now. i tried the pineapple/bannana one yesterday. didnt like it much so i am trying strawberries and bannanas tommorow :D

Julia
23-Apr-07, 23:18
I refused point blank to give my daughter any kind of juice when she was wee, I don't drink juice myself but prefer good old tap water, to this day if anyone offers her juice she says no and asks for water or milk instead. She does have the odd drink of juice but not often. As for fruit shoots, we tried them and are lucky enough to have lived to tell the tale, she went absolutely bonkers! Don't know what was in it but for a few hours I had a different child!

There is no need for juice in my opinion, pure water is better for your kidneys and cheaper too, unless of course you have a child who refuses to drink naked water.

cullbucket
24-Apr-07, 02:40
Our 2 are the same, will only drink water or milk as that is all they have had.... they refuse everything else.

Ricco
24-Apr-07, 19:54
as a full time mum i think everyone should know about kids drinks....these are meant to be sugar free but after reading one of my fav magazines i found out that fruit shoots and the h2o ones are full and full of sugar roughly about 10teaspoons full also ribena, ribena toothkind are the same. i think its awful as it is sayin that its a healthy drink for kids! false advertising!

What about Ribena's claim that it is a good source of VitC? Some school girls in Aussie have proven that there isn't a scrap of VitC in Ribena and say that the company must withdraw its claim.

wifie
24-Apr-07, 20:46
Thank goodness for Julia and Cullbucket - I was beginning to think I was the only parent who only offered my children milk or water when they were young and they know what they should choose themselves. Why pay a fortune for the bottles of toxic sludge available on the supermarket shelves!

brew
25-Apr-07, 08:30
my little girl loves her milk or water, but what i mean is when we are out there is soo much advertising for these awful drinks, im soo glad my little girl hasnt got sucked in by it all, i used to think that when we went out for lunch she could get a treat like a different type of drink, but even then everything in cafes are full of crap! the central used to do kids bottled water(it had a cartoon character on the bottle) but they have stopped, somehow water in a tumbler doesnt appeal to her the same when we are out

Spirit
25-Apr-07, 09:37
When in the central my wee lass usually asks for the just juice (Apple or orange) but she's good drinking milk with her breakfast and dinner and water at times during the day and at night. Central is ok for a treat but meals have not much choice of healthy or not. I asked last year if there was any possiblilty of at least having wee bags of apple or yoghurts instead of ice cream or ice lolly but they didn't think it would be a good idea due to expiry of the product.

brew
25-Apr-07, 10:59
the central really is a waste of money, there isnt a variety of food for kids, i used to like the bookshop cafe(jimbews) as they had lunch boxes for kids and had fruit and yoghurt in it, used to like weatherspoons until i got food poisning!

Spirit
25-Apr-07, 20:08
Has anyone seen the kids menu at the weigh inn and price? My friend and I were thinkin about going there for a change with the kids.

mccaugm
25-Apr-07, 22:13
Our 2 are the same, will only drink water or milk as that is all they have had.... they refuse everything else.

I have recently started giving my kids only very dilute juice, with cola as a rare treat. They are horrified but thats just tough.

My youngest prefers milk and water with occasional juice. He would live on milk given half a chance...which is no bad thing. He has NEVER had cola and if I have my way never will!

poppett
28-Apr-07, 14:24
There is such a variety of flavoured water now, both sparkling and plain that is what we have on offer for any visiting children. They usually go away asking for more!
Better for kidneys too.