PDA

View Full Version : Burial less than 200 yards from houses?

bekisman
30-Nov-15, 19:39
Just been doing an on-line survey and one of the questions was:
"The Scottish Government is introducing a new law governing cremation and burial. The new law might remove the requirement that a crematorium must be constructed over 200 yards from any dwelling house. Do you think that the new law should, or should not, keep the minimum distance requirement?"

I did NOT know that, blinking heck that would not be nice..

PantsMAN
30-Nov-15, 20:49
They're dead.

They make very quiet, peaceful neighbours with no need for ASBOs.

Vampires and zombies don't exist.

bekisman
30-Nov-15, 21:14
They're dead.

They make very quiet, peaceful neighbours with no need for ASBOs.

Vampires and zombies don't exist.
Yea, but it's difficult to get dust off sheets drying on the line

pat
30-Nov-15, 23:57
Lived very near a few cemeteries and the folk there are the best neighbours I have had in all my moves - absolutely fantastic, no noisy parties, no nosey neighbours or visitors, everything peace and quiet, no objections or complaints if I had a few friends over for a party or the visitors were noisy as they left the house.

I certainly have no qualms with living near a cemetery.

200 yards is a fair bit away in cities - are they going to move the cemeteries or move the houses around?

theone
01-Dec-15, 01:50
Although under the heading of 'cremation and burial' this seems to only affect crematoriums - there is no mention of graveyards.

I do wonder why this has become an issue - I assume somebody somewhere wants to build one within the current limit.

Although I don't fancy living so close to a crematorium as to be able to smell 'the product', I don't see why an individual law is required and why such considerations cannot be part of the normal planning process, Environmental Impact Assessment etc.

davth
01-Dec-15, 11:18
There is a big underground scene there.

bekisman
01-Dec-15, 12:01
Although under the heading of 'cremation and burial' this seems to only affect crematoriums - there is no mention of graveyards.

I do wonder why this has become an issue - I assume somebody somewhere wants to build one within the current limit.

Although I don't fancy living so close to a crematorium as to be able to smell 'the product', I don't see why an individual law is required and why such considerations cannot be part of the normal planning process, Environmental Impact Assessment etc.

Not actually found where the question I got on the Survey (Populous) came from, but they asked if I minded.. As an ex-Fire Office used to do IID's inspection of premises, and a couple Crems came under our jurisdiction, interesting looking at the ovens and the big 'cannon balls' they use in a kind of tumble dryer to power the bones - found out that the gold (rings/teeth) which remained was sold into council coffers, that pace-makers were taken out before they cremated as they could explode and damage the ovens?
It was twenty minutes after being handed a human dust 'ball' to feel weight we were back to the station for my sandwiches; crispy bacon..

The Horseman
01-Dec-15, 17:28
Not actually found where the question I got on the Survey (Populous) came from, but they asked if I minded.. As an ex-Fire Office used to do IID's inspection of premises, and a couple Crems came under our jurisdiction, interesting looking at the ovens and the big 'cannon balls' they use in a kind of tumble dryer to power the bones - found out that the gold (rings/teeth) which remained was sold into council coffers, that pace-makers were taken out before they cremated as they could explode and damage the ovens?
It was twenty minutes after being handed a human dust 'ball' to feel weight we were back to the station for my sandwiches; crispy bacon..

We all can understand 'gallows humor', but perhaps it should be left amongst the Emergency Services. Thank you.

bekisman
01-Dec-15, 20:12
We all can understand 'gallows humor', but perhaps it should be left amongst the Emergency Services. Thank you.

Oh dear I really am sorry The Horseman (new Member who's not yet on the member list) PantsMan, Pat and others above seemed not to be upset, don't think they are 'Emergency Services'? Presumably by your rather brash and affronted entrance to the Org, I would gauge you've been on here before? "We" who are the 'we' that understand 'gallows humor(sic)? not one of our USA members are you? Relax and settle down. I'm sorry you have taken umbrage, better advise you not to read em then..

sids
01-Dec-15, 20:39
Ok, where is the nearest crematorium?

Is within 200 yards of anywhere in Caithness?

bekisman
01-Dec-15, 20:53
Ok, where is the nearest crematorium?

Is within 200 yards of anywhere in Caithness?

As I mentioned it was a question posed by Populous in an on-line survey "Just been doing an on-line survey and one of the questions was:
"The Scottish Government is introducing a new law governing cremation and burial. The new law might remove the requirement that a crematorium must be constructed over 200 yards from any dwelling house. Do you think that the new law should, or should not, keep the minimum distance requirement?" I've no idea why this should be asked, No idea how close they are to houses at all.. I got £2 for the whole survey anyway..

grannymoose
01-Dec-15, 21:08
wouldn't be afraid of the dead dude. Be weary of the living :)

The Horseman
01-Dec-15, 21:34
Oh dear I really am sorry The Horseman (new Member who's not yet on the member list) PantsMan, Pat and others above seemed not to be upset, don't think they are 'Emergency Services'? Presumably by your rather brash and affronted entrance to the Org, I would gauge you've been on here before? "We" who are the 'we' that understand 'gallows humor(sic)? not one of our USA members are you? Relax and settle down. I'm sorry you have taken umbrage, better advise you not to read em then..

Sarcasm defined.... Lowest form of wit.
Just a thought......my brash and affronted entrance.....perhaps better defined as Respect for the Dead. USA members? Really.......
No reply required. Thank you.

bekisman
01-Dec-15, 22:01
Sarcasm defined.... Lowest form of wit.
Just a thought......my brash and affronted entrance.....perhaps better defined as Respect for the Dead. USA members? Really.......
No reply required. Thank you.

Grannymoose, whoops there's another one with 'no respect for the dead'! you left out a bit from your quote old boy (?) highest form of intelligence. My alluding to USA was merely your spelling of 'Humour' we do have USA people on here; 'old Marine', who I think has passed on (anyone?), a great poster who I respected, and my respect has not dimmed although he may no longer be with us. I'm sure at time progresses you'll come across postings much stronger than mine, take this as a gentle introduction to THE ORG!

sids
01-Dec-15, 22:10
If they have a high stack, the smell may be worse a mile away than it it is close up.

sids
01-Dec-15, 22:12

Says who?

bekisman
01-Dec-15, 23:03
Been searching the web, found this: http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/S4_Bills/Burial%20and%20Cremation%20%28Scotland%29%20Bill/SPBill80PMS042015.pdf Para 115.
SO SEPA reckons that nowadays Crematoriums don't need to be 200 yards away (Wish Populous Surveys had stated why they asked this question, but I was intrigued!)

davth
01-Dec-15, 23:29
I quite like the smell of a barbeque

bekisman
08-Dec-15, 11:03
Oh well now found the legislation #17 that survey poll was referring to, supposed this Thread is now finished

cptdodger
09-Dec-15, 09:37
Just out of interest where is the nearest Crematorium to Caithness located ? I would imagine if it is Inverness, that would just add greatly to the cost of the Funeral. I might be wrong but generally speaking in a City, take Dundee for instance as that's where I am from a vast percentage of the population choose cremation over burial, as to why, I have no idea, maybe cost is a factor, but the last burial I was at was in 1987, I have (unfortunately) attended a lot of funerals since then which have all been held in Crematoriums.

Thinking about it I have only been to two Crematoriums the one in Dundee and Medway Crematorium (halfway between Chatham and Maidstone) in Kent, but they are both set in beautifully kept grounds, considering what they are, they are beautiful places. I have never measured it but the one in Dundee is surrounded by houses, how close I don't know, but it's not like you have a row of houses with a crematorim the next building along as such. The houses are next to the land where the crematorium is situated, not the actual building, in fact unless you knew where the crematorium was, you probably would not realise what it was.

John Little
09-Dec-15, 11:38
Good point. The Bluebell Hill crematorium is very close to houses. I had forgotten that.

So is Falconwood.

bekisman
09-Dec-15, 12:50
Been to couple of services at the Crematorium in Inverness - last time a friend - a Humanist -who had a very good service carried out by the 'Happy Humanist' on here. Very moving. Did notice buildings quite near, Kilvean Cottage etc? But with good filtration, there's no problem these days..

John (see obviously that service has returned to Org) I know Bluebell Hill quite intimately, having been based in Chatham and going between the military bases there and the Maidstone one.. Back in the 60's there were a flurry of reports about a ghost, a girl would appear on the A229 and sometimes be picked up in a car, and would vanish when the driver looked around, some were witnessed by such as Police Officers, who are not prone to imagination.. what 'truth' in this I don't know (who does)? I KNOW this is a bit off tangent, but I started the thread, so there..

John Little
09-Dec-15, 13:06
The ghost of Bluebell Hill is very famous. If you google it there's no end of stuff on her. Loads of sightings too.

http://www.roadghosts.com/bbhsightings.htm

Funny thing is that my wife knew her when she was alive - and the ghost's sister was in the same class at Rochester Grammar for Girls.

bekisman
09-Dec-15, 13:07
The ghost of Bluebell Hill is very famous. If you google it there's no end of stuff on her. Loads of sightings too.

http://www.roadghosts.com/bbhsightings.htm

Funny thing is that my wife knew her when she was alive - and the ghost's sister was in the same class at Rochester Grammar for Girls.

Creepy John - wot's your angle on it?

John Little
09-Dec-15, 13:09
I'm not going to scoff at it. There are things we simply do not understand.

Anyway I must not question too much- my next book will be a half dozen of ghosts!

cptdodger
09-Dec-15, 13:41
Goodness, what a small world, I lived in Chatham from 1991 - 2000. I had even heard about the ghost, especially if I was going over Bluebell Hill to Maidstone, people would joke about being careful, I thought that was all it was, but it was common knowledge in Chatham.

bekisman
09-Dec-15, 13:49
My transit between Chatham and Maidstone was way back in 1966, (blinking heck; 49 years ago?!) and the 'Bluebell Hill ghost' was common knowledge then

John Little
09-Dec-15, 14:08
"The film is based on the true story of a bride-to-be killed following a crash on the A229 in November 1965 on the eve of her wedding day."

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/ghost-story-7879/

It was Judith my wife knew.

cptdodger
09-Dec-15, 16:24
That's just terribly sad and an awful waste of life. I would love to see the film though.

wavy davy
11-Dec-15, 02:11
Goodness Gracious. A potentially interesting thread not yet attacked by somebody sneering/complaining or otherwise bitching and moaning. It won't last.

bekisman
11-Dec-15, 10:21
Goodness Gracious. A potentially interesting thread not yet attacked by somebody sneering/complaining or otherwise bitching and moaning. It won't last.
You're right there, I am amazed, it was started in good faith, in that I had no idea what the point/substance of the Survey question was, and not one real Orger - who hasn't asked to be deleted - said one sneering, complaining, bitching or moaning word.
WHAT'S GOING ON!
;)

John Little
11-Dec-15, 10:51
Sneer.
Bitch.
Moan.
Complain.

There - fixed it for ya! :)

cptdodger
11-Dec-15, 12:16
Just out of interest I read this on the BBC Website in regards to burials in Greece, what these poor people go through is unimaginable. Let's hope we, in this country (UK) are never put through this due to planning consent being disallowed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34920068

sids
11-Dec-15, 15:10
Just out of interest I read this on the BBC Website in regards to burials in Greece, what these poor people go through is unimaginable. Let's hope we, in this country (UK) are never put through this due to planning consent being disallowed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34920068

This country has crematoria.

cptdodger
11-Dec-15, 15:52
Maybe so, but this country's population is increasing rapidly. If councils are not allowed to build more crematoriums or create new cemeteries because of a case of "not in my back yard" then you will start to see problems. As it is, in England, certainly where I lived it used to be a number of weeks before a funeral could take place because they are so busy. Certainly and hopefully that would not happen here as it does in Greece and Hong Kong, but lack of facilities leads to its own problems.

bekisman
11-Dec-15, 16:49
Way back in 1971/72 used to stay in Desentis, Switzerland (Kayaking mostly) and became good friends with a family who ran a bakery there. They mentioned their family had lived in the village for generations and one day they showed me where their great-granddad was; in a ossuary his bones stacked up in a room.. Turns out that because the ground is so hard in Switzerland, they leave the bodies in the ground for about 25 years, then clear out the grave- the headstone is given to family, bones (if any) into the ossuary and the grave is then re-used! (Although it is permissible to pay extra to extend the period of time)

I've often wondered what the facts were, and found this:

http://www.dicconbewes.com/2011/10/31/the-secret-of-swiss-cemeteries/

squidge
11-Dec-15, 17:07
Is there anything to stop you doing your own burial? back garden perhaps? I heard a programme on the radio once about a lady who collected her mother's body from the morgue and popped her on the floor in her motor home then took her around England visiting her old friends so that they could pay their respects and so that she could visit places she used to love. I can't remember what happened after the visits but I wondered where you could bury a body legally.

Rheghead
11-Dec-15, 18:50
A Sky burial would do me just fine on top of Morven or Bein Ratha. Then I can give back to the Earth Goddess from whom I've taken so much.

sids
11-Dec-15, 18:54
They can do what they like with my remains when I'm dead, so long as they leave them alone when I'm still walking about.

bekisman
11-Dec-15, 19:46
Is there anything to stop you doing your own burial? back garden perhaps? I heard a programme on the radio once about a lady who collected her mother's body from the morgue and popped her on the floor in her motor home then took her around England visiting her old friends so that they could pay their respects and so that she could visit places she used to love. I can't remember what happened after the visits but I wondered where you could bury a body legally.
In fact, provided you own the land, it is easier to bury a relative in your garden than to extend your garage or undertake any other building work. You don't even need planning permission to dig a grave, although erecting a gravestone might stir the interest of the local council.

The Environment Agency says that no laws prevent people being buried in their own garden, but an authorisation form must be filled in, since decomposing corpses can pose a health risk to the living.
A garden grave must be situated more than 10 metres from standing water, at least 50 metres away from a drinking water source, and be deep enough to dissuade foxes from digging up the dearly departed.
It's also necessary to record the whereabouts of the grave and include this in the deeds of the property.

So there you are...

squidge
11-Dec-15, 21:38
Ahhhhh Beks you know all sorts of stuff. A neighbour of ours asked us if our owl would pick up her fathers body and bring it home. He couldn't do it cos his van was a camper so he couldn't fit it in but we did wonder if she buried him in her very large garden.

Interesting

bekisman
12-Dec-15, 00:00
Ahhhhh Beks you know all sorts of stuff. A neighbour of ours asked us if our owl would pick up her fathers body and bring it home. He couldn't do it cos his van was a camper so he couldn't fit it in but we did wonder if she buried him in her very large garden.

Interesting
Get the 'proper' permissions and the jobs a good 'un!

bekisman
12-Dec-15, 15:08
Not being morbid, but Mrs Beks and I have told our kids what we want played 'when it happens'..

1. Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana, Mascagni
2. "Time to say goodbye" with Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli..

Anybody else with 'last requests'?

John Little
12-Dec-15, 17:21
Now surely that merits a thread all of its own? :)

bekisman
12-Dec-15, 17:39
Now surely that merits a thread all of its own? :)

Go on then John - this threads running out of steam!

John Little
12-Dec-15, 17:42
My dear fellow! I do not steal anyone else's splendid ideas!

Do you think me such an utter cad?