PDA

View Full Version : Tree info

bounce
30-Nov-15, 14:26
Could anybody give me advice about the best trees to plant on fairly exposed position on Caithness coast

richardj
30-Nov-15, 17:32
Trees for Caithness

The answer will be determined where you are in Caithness and also if you are on the coast or a mile or so inland. Also is this for one or two garden trees or part of a larger planting consisting of several hundred trees as in a shelterbelt on a croft.

Anyway for garden trees that should be reasonably successful I would suggest you consider Rowan (Sorbus aucuparia) trees and Birch (Betula pendula).

For a larger planting project such as a wind break of say 10 metres or wider then start with trees/shrubs to give shelter initially. We are 10 miles inland and I used Willows to provide a quick growing shelter to the other trees. One thing to consider with using Willow is that the branches do tend to break in high winds so they have to be considered a short term solution - cut them back every 5-6 years to encourage young growth.

The other trees that will be for long term planting would include:

Rown - Sorbus aucuparia is the most successful species for the north of Scotland
Birch - Betula pendula
Field Maple - Acer campestre (fairly slow growing in this area)
Alder - Alnus glutinosa grows well in exposed areas including wet soils

If you want to learn more about woodland planting for this area (and Orkney) then the resources on the following web page will be helpful http://www.outdoororkney.com/explore-further/orkney-woodland-project-resources and download the pdf on Woodland Design Guide

Hope this helps
Richard

bounce
30-Nov-15, 18:22
thanks for that richard

r.rackstraw
01-Dec-15, 00:10
Best to look around and see what grows in your area.
Based on my own experience:
- Sycamore does well
- Whitebeam is very good
- Alder likewise and will thrive in wet places
- Rowan is ok
- Hazel, Hawthorn, Beech ok but slow growing
- Birch seems to struggle in Caithness especially in heavy soil