PDA

View Full Version : Right to buy for the select few

dozy
30-Nov-15, 13:47
I have been told that Council tenants (that had a tenancy) before 2002 have been able to purchase their homes from the council,but Pentland housing tenants have been denied the same right. Spoke to the lady in CAB ,she said she took advice from a colleague ( which happens to be chair of PHA) and she said the Pentland can put the RTB aside. Surely if all the social housing groups are on the same register they all duty bound to abide by the same rules. Is this a breach of rights or can they all put two fingers up to the rules.

Kodiak
30-Nov-15, 14:39
I have been told that Council tenants (that had a tenancy) before 2002 have been able to purchase their homes from the council,but Pentland housing tenants have been denied the same right. Spoke to the lady in CAB ,she said she took advice from a colleague ( which happens to be chair of PHA) and she said the Pentland can put the RTB aside. Surely if all the social housing groups are on the same register they all duty bound to abide by the same rules. Is this a breach of rights or can they all put two figures up to the rules.

The Housing (Scotland) Act 2001 introduced the Scottish secure tenancy from 30 September 2002. This provided a single, common tenancy for nearly all tenants of local authorities and housing associations in Scotland and made important changes to the right to buy. The qualifying period increased from two to five years and the maximum discount was reduced to 35% or £15,000, whichever was lower. This is called the 'modernised right to buy'. Housing association tenants who previously did not have the right to buy now had a modernised right to buy but this was suspended for 10 years until 2012. The Act also gave housing associations the right to apply to extend this suspension beyond 2012.

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2011/10/05083856/2

Kodiak
30-Nov-15, 14:59
Just found this on the Pentland Housing Site.

http://www.pentlandhousing.co.uk/Right_To_Buy

Right To Buy

All of the Associations stock in Thurso is currently protected from right to buy sales by the Pressured Area Status that was awarded in 2010. This covers the Associaiton's stock for a period of at least 5 years and could potentially be extended for a further 5 years. While you have the Right To Buy you cannot exercise this right until November 2015. Please note this date may be extended depending upon changes in legislation.

dozy
30-Nov-15, 16:19
Many thanks . How come that Council tenants can buy in a PAS but not Pentland, looks like someone is not playing by the rules. Many pre 2002 tenants have tried to purchase under the RTB and were told in 2002 that they would be able to do so in 2012 ( with an enhanced discount) only be be told in 2012 that the board had lied and Pentland had asked the HRC for an extention of PAS . That's were the rules/ law have been broken ,there's no way in hell that Thurso should been under PAS restriction. Therefore the application to extend was fraudulent and both parties have committed a breach( Pentland and the Council) This is also strengthened by the fact the PAS is only for Thurso and district ( dounreay catchment area) which is no way under housing pressure. Having seen the housing figures for both the council and Pentland this restriction must be removed with immediate effect to right this wrong . How many folk from the effected area have been cheated by this fraud and breach of their rights. I will be contacting my MSP and Margaret Burgess in Holyrood.
Seens the Tenants were keep on the hook by promises that the Assocciation would never honour to stop folk from jumping ship an going to the Council .

bekisman
30-Nov-15, 16:40
Brought my Council House in 1985, under 'Right to Buy'..

'by 1987, more than 1,000,000 council houses in Britain had been sold to their tenants'