PDA

View Full Version : Cost of War .

dozy
26-Nov-15, 11:46
Can the "Better together crew"tell me the total cost of the 3 Wars we have been involved in Iraq,Afghanistan and North Africa. What is the estimated cost for the latest one and why is the government able to find or borrow money for this but not for Cancer treatment.

rob murray
26-Nov-15, 12:06
Can the "Better together crew"tell me the total cost of the 3 Wars we have been involved in Iraq,Afghanistan and North Africa. What is the estimated cost for the latest one and why is the government able to find or borrow money for this but not for Cancer treatment.

Dunno can you tell me, always shocks me that money can be found for war and not for essentials

dozy
26-Nov-15, 12:38
[QUOTE=rob murray;1136255]Dunno can you tell me, always shocks me that money can be found for war and not for essentials, you imply BTG "crew" support wars......where did you get that from, and are you inferring a free scotland will stand aside and never partipcate in war ?[/QUOTE
I infer nothing of the sort. But you can Never defeat terrorism with the action the Government are planning, the advice given comes from the Military which are not equipped to carry out the type of action needed. Terrorist don't work that way, bombing will no doubt will cost innocent lives which will by its nature breed more Terrorists. You have to be smarter but just as ruthless in your actions. Look deeper at the problem and try to see things from the other side and cut of the supply lines. Some of us have served our country and have seen the costs up close, it's always the people that pay the price and the RICH get RICHER as they pay both sides and never have to pay with their children or family members. Britain is great at getting folk to sign up to WAR by using the FEAR factor. The biggest FEAR we should have is the Government,there's No True in Their Mouth and they are happy to feed their cash rich friends with the money stolen from the poor. I would rather see my taxes pay to help the poor and sick than bomb the innocent. Bombing will NOT stop IS . Please doubt forget Cameron wanted to bomb the folk he now supports . Cameron is a snake oil salesman, no more no less.

rob murray
26-Nov-15, 12:51
[QUOTE=rob murray;1136255]Dunno can you tell me, always shocks me that money can be found for war and not for essentials, you imply BTG "crew" support wars......where did you get that from, and are you inferring a free scotland will stand aside and never partipcate in war ?[/QUOTE
I infer nothing of the sort. But you can Never defeat terrorism with the action the Government are planning, the advice given comes from the Military which are not equipped to carry out the type of action needed. Terrorist don't work that way, bombing will no doubt will cost innocent lives which will by its nature breed more Terrorists. You have to be smarter but just as ruthless in your actions. Look deeper at the problem and try to see things from the other side and cut of the supply lines. Some of us have served our country and have seen the costs up close, it's always the people that pay the price and the RICH get RICHER as they pay both sides and never have to pay with their children or family members. Britain is great at getting folk to sign up to WAR by using the FEAR factor. The biggest FEAR we should have is the Government,there's No True in Their Mouth and they are happy to feed their cash rich friends with the money stolen from the poor. I would rather see my taxes pay to help the poor and sick than bomb the innocent. Bombing will NOT stop IS . Please doubt forget Cameron wanted to bomb the folk he now supports . Cameron is a snake oil salesman, no more no less.

Ok accepted and I totally agree with your comments. Sorry if Ive misinterpreted you original posting.

BetterTogether
26-Nov-15, 13:25
I think this is probably better served in the Politics section maybe a kindly moderator can move it. Thanks in advance.

davth
26-Nov-15, 13:50
Dunno can you tell me, always shocks me that money can be found for war and not for essentials

can you put a price on national security?

BetterTogether
26-Nov-15, 13:52
We may have had some answers on today's Syria Questions but alas Alex Salmond SNP MP foreign affairs minister was busy in Holyrood invisibly sitting in on First Ministers questions then unveiling a picture of himself.

Nice to know where their priorities are.

davth
26-Nov-15, 14:09
We may have had some answers on today's Syria Questions but alas Alex Salmond SNP MP foreign affairs minister was busy in Holyrood invisibly sitting in on First Ministers questions then unveiling a picture of himself.

Must have been in the landscape format to get his girth in the shot

golach
26-Nov-15, 14:16

If unveiling a portrait of himself is important, that has to be really to top priority surely.

BetterTogether
26-Nov-15, 14:33
Oh I don't know it might have some merits.

Ive never confessed to being a connoisseur of the arts, but some pieces do serve to give a snapshot of the times we live in.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/alex-salmond-skips-syria-debate-6905120

rob murray
26-Nov-15, 15:10
Oh I don't know it might have some merits.

Ive never confessed to being a connoisseur of the arts, but some pieces do serve to give a snapshot of the times we live in.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/alex-salmond-skips-syria-debate-6905120

Cheezo the ego has landed shocking that he isnt doing what he's supposed to be at Westminster for, he could have arranged to see his portrait any time but to miss a key debate on Syrai just to look at his portrait. Come one this is undeniably crass and taking the mick

BetterTogether
26-Nov-15, 16:41
Does show how seriously the SNP take their opposition job, I totally agree unveiling of a picture can wait when it comes to serious debates in the commons.
It really doesn't matter what the SNPs position is now as apparently self aggrandising is more important than important debates.

Id like to be kinder to the SNP on these occasions but they're against Trident, complain about every bit of defence spending but as always completely fail to explain what they would do. Let's see some detailed counter argument just repeatedly shouting down the government isn't opposition as you're failing to put an alternative view forward. Let's see the SNPs view of how the defences of this country should be met.

These set are strange times we live in with the comparative peace we grew up with looking more and more uncertain.

Ive no problem opposing a view as long as you've got a decent counter narrative to replace what your complaining about. But to just not show because your painting is being unveiled shows how seriously Mr Salmond actually takes his job, foreign affairs and the defence of the realm.

Those who oppose this country going to war should be asking why their parties spokesperson wasn't there and not putting their views forward.

Inexcusable from any parties foreign affairs spokesperson.

BetterTogether
26-Nov-15, 16:53
Here he is doing what he considers more important than the Syria debate Alex Salmond SNP MP foreign affairs.

The picture was painted over a year ago and is only on display for a week, just to put things in a bit more context.

tonkatojo
26-Nov-15, 18:14
Here he is doing what he considers more important than the Syria debate Alex Salmond SNP MP foreign affairs.

The picture was painted over a year ago and is only on display for a week, just to put things in a bit more context.

I can see his point of view, why bother attending a debate when your policy or mind is already made up, in the SNP's mind oppose anything when ever possible would be the norm.

bekisman
27-Nov-15, 12:51
Hey dozy, just a thought, but what about THIS as a waste? and how does it compare to your 'three wars'?
"The cost of treating smokers in England was estimated at £2.7 billion in 2006. That was made up of £1.2 billion spent on hospital treatment, £600 million on consultations with GPs and practice nurses, and £900 million on GP prescriptions. That £2.7 billion would be worth about £3.2 billion today

Other research put it as high as £2.5 billion in 2005/2006 (about £6.2 billion today).

These studies suggest a range of between £3 and £6 billion costs to the NHS, but there’s too much uncertainty in the estimates to rely on these bounds or place a more precise estimate between them." Could

Fulmar
27-Nov-15, 13:43
Have to say I was quite glad of the 'portrait' episode for entirely un-intended reasons and simply because that young lad who mimics Eck (and Nicola) is a class act who completely stole Eck's thunder on the day!

Murdo
27-Nov-15, 14:35
Nice to see BT back; assume you couldn't find anywhere else to spew out your anti Scottish bile.

cptdodger
27-Nov-15, 15:02
So basically what you are infering then Murdo is, if the person in question is not pro SNP, pro Independence, by your reckoning that person is automatically anti Scottish ?

BetterTogether
27-Nov-15, 15:10
Nice to see BT back; assume you couldn't find anywhere else to spew out your anti Scottish bile.

Another baseless ad hominem attack.

Anti SNP does not equate to anti Scottish maybe you'd like to level that same accusation to every single person who disagrees with SNP politics or doesn't vote for them.

Does that mean that during all the time the SNP have been formed anyone who disagreed with their policies has been anti Scottish, if so that's a very sweeping statement to make. Maybe you'd like to reconsider your views and words and consider the wider implications of what you're saying.

Meanwhile all you've done is quite successfully shown one of my points, how divisive politics have become and the state political debate has become in Scotland.

Anyone who may be sitting there wondering who do vote I'm for in the future I'd use your post as an example of what to expect if you don't just agree with everything you're told and comply.

rob murray
27-Nov-15, 15:39

Murdo..you can thow that one at me to, Im an anti SNP scot, born n bred Scottish...and its nice to be back.........as for anti scottish bile....awa n bile yer heid................is that scottish enough for you ?? People like you cannot handle the truth and swallow everything told by the SNP or maybe you dont, maybe your understanding just equates to SNP = Freedom / independance full stop and your not following whats actually going on ie..........OIl oil oil oil oil !!!!!! oh its just a bonus....another comming North Sea oil boom....14th richest nation on earth....every sane person knows that the SNP forecasts ( ie the financial case for independance ) as based on oil revenues were out not by 5 or 10 or 15% but by 6,000 %....aye thats right...6,000% and next you'll be telling us Santa is real ( cos youve seen his portrait )

rob murray
27-Nov-15, 17:25

is this anti scottish bile : http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/labour-councillors-to-protest-against-snp-cuts-1-3959040

Murdo
27-Nov-15, 17:43
Actually I'm a Lib Dem for my sins but confess to voting SNP at the last election as I saw them as least worst option, and still do for that matter. Its all very well to constantly whinge and condemn, but what better alternative are you two experts going to suggest ?.

rob murray
27-Nov-15, 17:49
Actually I'm a Lib Dem for my sins but confess to voting SNP at the last election as I saw them as least worst option, and still do for that matter. Its all very well to constantly whinge and condemn, but what better alternative are you two experts going to suggest ?.

No one is as you put it is whinging and moaning and condemning on this site, to oute yourslef spewing anti scottish bile : the world outside of ae org is though scrutinising SNP non performance, use your common sense, this is a democracy and I am entitled to voice an opinion, Im not a politician I cant actually do anything, neither can you, as Ive no political power and you dont either, but Ive got the power to point out where I see the SNP going ( badly ) wrong....thats democracy. You voted for them I didnt and have never. Crack on believing what you want to

Actually LD's are a fine bunch and WIllie Rennie an able man why change ?