PDA

View Full Version : Viewfirth Field - Thurso. Proposed Sports Faciltiy and Running Track

Viewfirth Development
25-Nov-15, 19:57
The recently unveiled proposed plan for a sports facility and running track on the Viewfirth Field in Thurso will have far more impact on local residents, youth groups, clubs and others who regularly use the open space than initially anticipated.

As one of the towns last centrally located open spaces we believe that it should be retained as a green open space for anyone to have free, unrestricted and informal access to/and make use of.

We believe the benefits this open space brings to the Community have not been fully taken into account in the selection of this site.

We are collecting names/signatures to lobby the Council to engage in open and transparent consultation on:-

The site selection process,
The potential loss of public open space, and
The suitability of the proposed facility to meet the needs of the community.

If you would like to add your name to our sheet please send PM or email Viewfirth_development@aol.com.

dozy
25-Nov-15, 21:59
Sorry ,can't support a running track but it should be retained as a green space.

RWB
25-Nov-15, 22:35
i think it's a great idea, it gets my full support (even without a 6 lane running track)

http://www.thursosports.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/HCSH-Poster-008.pdf (http://www.thursosports.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/HCSH-Poster-008.pdf)

the document fully explains the site selection process and who in the community will benefit

can you provide some transparency and detail who currently uses the Viewfirth and how many days a year they use it ?

theone
25-Nov-15, 23:49
This thread stinks of NIMBYism at work.

The provision of a running track would be a benefit to the town. I see little argument against that.

You don't seem to have any valid argument against building a running track, only the location.

I'd be willing to bet you've got little or no interest 'youth groups, clubs and others who regularly use the open space' but rather you live in the Duncan street/Sweyn/Castlegreen/Davidsons lane area and don't want this near your home.

If you genuinely have concerns about the site selection process, discuss them. If you have genuine reason to believe the selection process was flawed, tell us why. The Thursosports website is quite clear on the reasoning why other sites are not suitable, you fail to provide any real argument against.

Scunner
26-Nov-15, 00:36
Only half the `green' belongs to the council the other part to UKAEA. A sports field and chalets were mooted in the 90's and the sports council were contacted but their funds were tied up for 5 years plus.

The present editor of the Groat/Courier was at the meeting along with others including me.

theone
26-Nov-15, 01:21
Only half the `green' belongs to the council the other part to UKAEA. A sports field and chalets were mooted in the 90's and the sports council were contacted but their funds were tied up for 5 years plus..

Indeed.

So was a housing development with a significant number of affordable houses and a social club to replace the old Viewfirth.

dozy
26-Nov-15, 10:02
Best place for a running track is at the school or Millbank ,why concrete over another green space. Can't understand why this nonsense has come about . The park was and is used for football ,cricket and games by LOCAL folk ,just leave it allow. To many non residents are riding the bandwagon of stupided. There is a project in the pipeline to build disabled housing and a community centre on the old viewfirth site, which is very much needed.