PDA

View Full Version : beware of this scam

starfish
24-Nov-15, 18:01
my daughter received a e mail today from hm revenue and custom say that they had done recent calculations and she was entitled to a rebate of 350.00 and a link to claim it. when she click on it they want bank and credit details. she thought it was a bit odd and phoned hm revenue and customs who informed her that they never ever send emails .

little miss breezy breeks
24-Nov-15, 18:40
If you check the email will start dear client and very rarely by the persons name, thats a sure sign its a scam

starfish
24-Nov-15, 19:16
yes it was dear applicant

Phill
24-Nov-15, 19:21
Any email offering refunds, free monies of any sort are generally scam. In fact, not generally, always.

Never, ever give out account details on-line. Ever.

When shopping on-line, use a credit card where you can. These generally have better on-line protection, so if the details do get scammed, hacked etc. you're probably covered.
If you use your debit card, you're account can be emptied before you realise.

Kodiak
24-Nov-15, 20:11
I get about 20 to 30 of these phishing e-mails every week, They all get the same treatment and I Bin them all.

Also if you are shopping online use PayPal if possible as you then do not have to type in your credit/debit card details. Much safer using PayPal.

theone
24-Nov-15, 23:53
I get about 20 to 30 of these phishing e-mails every week, They all get the same treatment and I Bin them all.

Also if you are shopping online use PayPal if possible as you then do not have to type in your credit/debit card details. Much safer using PayPal.

Paypal is only 'safer' on sites other than ebay if you use your credit card as the source of funds as opposed to the default setting of your bank account.

You've got very little protection from paypal if you're defrauded from other websites.

Kodiak
25-Nov-15, 00:17
Paypal is only 'safer' on sites other than ebay if you use your credit card as the source of funds as opposed to the default setting of your bank account.

You've got very little protection from paypal if you're defrauded from other websites.

Ahh that means you have not qualified for the PayPal Credit Card. I always use this via the PayPal site and I have 100% protection when buying online or from a Shop. Since I use the PayPal site while online I am not required to put in my Card Number and no one can get access to it. Much safer than using any other Credit Card or Debit Card. Simples

Kevin Milkins
25-Nov-15, 00:33
Whatever happened to the good old fashioned idea of going down the shop?:confused

Kenn
25-Nov-15, 00:37
Love it Kevin, if I can I still shop local and only resort to the internet as a last option.

Rheghead
25-Nov-15, 01:20
Whatever happened to the good old fashioned idea of going down the shop?:confused

Perhaps a savvy customer worries about:-

a. consumer choice?
b. the carbon footprint of sending up unsold goods and sending them back down?
c. the inconvenience of budgetting time to go shopping?
d. a lack of consumer protection, online consumers have extra rights to send back unsatisfactory goods.
e. free or low cost deliveries. Yes they still do exist...
f. avoid conflict. we can spend all day choosing our goods online but we get pressured into a sale if we step into a shop...

starfish
25-Nov-15, 09:50
i shop on line because a lot of the time it is cheaper after all shops buy on line then put they profit on so why not go straight to the outlet most shops use

davth
25-Nov-15, 10:32
If you fall for that scam then you should not be in control of your finances

starfish
25-Nov-15, 11:23
davth we were asked to put it out to the public by hm revenue and customs to warn others that might not be so smart

davth
25-Nov-15, 11:51
Starfish, i appreciate that and as stated you knew it was not right and acted appropriately.
I must adnmit my inbox gets many of these type of things each week but I usually file them in the trash.
I guess the elderly may be more trusting / susceptible to the scam.

starfish
25-Nov-15, 12:33
davth it was for working tax credits and this time of year with family on a tight budget a cash sum of 350.00 some people might just see the £ sign and get carried away then find out what little money they had had gone from their banks . its a sad world we live in

Kodiak
25-Nov-15, 13:04

Well in my case I find it very difficult to go out let alone wander around the shops. Believe you me I would love to be able to have a good old wander around, but in my case it is just not going to happen. Therefore online shopping is usually the only way for me, so Christmas Presents, Birthday Presents and even the weekly shop is all done online. I wish it was otherwise.

davth
25-Nov-15, 13:56
davth it was for working tax credits and this time of year with family on a tight budget a cash sum of 350.00 some people might just see the £ sign and get carried away then find out what little money they had had gone from their banks . its a sad world we live in

Yes i can see that indeed, I apologise for any offence caused in the earlier post.

davth
25-Nov-15, 13:58
i shop on line because a lot of the time it is cheaper after all shops buy on line then put they profit on so why not go straight to the outlet most shops use

As you say the beast deals are usually found online, I would like to shop locally but when the pices on the high street are often 30 or 40% more than online then I see that as extracting the urine.

Hoida
29-Nov-15, 20:46
Had a similar letter from HM revenue addressed to my email address, best to ignore these. Get a lot from paypal telling me so much has been taken from my account. I have never had a PayPal account and have reported them for the umpteenth time. So annoying.

bekisman
30-Nov-15, 11:17
If you check the email will start dear client and very rarely by the persons name, thats a sure sign its a scam

You are right, I got a couple of these (different accounts) and I'm pretty sure that HMRC know my name, well they do when they send me demands! "Dear Client" indeed!