PDA

View Full Version : The answer my friends is blowing in the wind

BetterTogether
23-Nov-15, 13:19
Last month Nicola Sturgeon at the party conference that bombing Syria to destroy Isis

UK airstrikes would “simply add to already unimaginable human suffering”, and that “the SNP will oppose UK airstrikes on Syria”. No ifs or buts.

but now her stance has changed

In the BBC interview in which she indicated her preparedness to “listen” (http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/19/nicola-sturgeon-prepared-to-listen-airstrikes-syria) to the prime minister on military intervention, she also said that she “remained unconvinced” about the legality of such an action.

meanwhile Alex Salmond is adding to the confusion stating that we require the UN to say it's ok before anything is done.

All the while we the public sit back and watch waiting for our elected representatives to follow and do the right thing.

Instead we have a party leader unable to lead and spending precious time blowing in the wind waiting for events to overtake her so she can then make a decision.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/19/paris-attacks-game-changer-scotland-snp-defence-policy

Fulmar
23-Nov-15, 14:39
Well, as we know, Paris has happened since that first statement. Very many people are unsure as to what is the 'right' thing to do and there is great uncertainty.
Personally, I think that it is a sign of strength and not weakness if a person is willing to be open to change in the light of fresh circumstances.

davth
23-Nov-15, 15:03
Well, as we know, Paris has happened since that first statement. Very many people are unsure as to what is the 'right' thing to do and there is great uncertainty.
Personally, I think that it is a sign of strength and not weakness if a person is willing to be open to change in the light of fresh circumstances.

It does look like she is acting re-actively rather than proactively.
I would much rather have a proactive leadership structure in charge rather than reactive.
Any amount of armed force will not regain the hundreds if not thousands of lives damaged by the most recent Paris attacks.
But that does not mean that we should not now go after Daesh in the strongest possible ways.