PDA

View Full Version : filibustering or how the tories win at politics

Alien Adrenaline Reflex
20-Nov-15, 22:33
another bill talked out by the tories. are they not brave enough to just vote against the things they dont agree with??? http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-mps-block-bill-to-give-first-aid-training-to-children-by-talking-until-time-runs-out-a6742251.html

Hoggie
21-Nov-15, 01:39
If you've ever sat on a committee, every so often someone comes up with an idea which is impractical (and sometimes dangerous) but which sounds so worthy no one dare speak against it. This was one of those Bills, and I glad it was talked out. It was not a party matter so blaming "the Tories" is daft as plenty of Tories supported it. It was a bill to force schools to teach first aid. There is nothing wrong with it - I learnt first aid in school, but from a proper, qualified first-aid expert who happened to be on the staff. What else though can schools be forced to teach? Anything could be deemed worthy and forced upon schools ill-equipped to provide them. As to first aid, badly taught first aid is worse than no knowledge of it. It was a worthy but ultimately silly bill and best dumped in this way.

bekisman
21-Nov-15, 15:34
If you've ever sat on a committee, every so often someone comes up with an idea which is impractical (and sometimes dangerous) but which sounds so worthy no one dare speak against it. This was one of those Bills, and I glad it was talked out. It was not a party matter so blaming "the Tories" is daft as plenty of Tories supported it. It was a bill to force schools to teach first aid. There is nothing wrong with it - I learnt first aid in school, but from a proper, qualified first-aid expert who happened to be on the staff. What else though can schools be forced to teach? Anything could be deemed worthy and forced upon schools ill-equipped to provide them. As to first aid, badly taught first aid is worse than no knowledge of it. It was a worthy but ultimately silly bill and best dumped in this way. Quite agree Hoogie, as a First Aid Instructor myself, it must be taught by those of us who actually know what they are talking about!

rob murray
23-Nov-15, 16:52
If you've ever sat on a committee, every so often someone comes up with an idea which is impractical (and sometimes dangerous) but which sounds so worthy no one dare speak against it. This was one of those Bills, and I glad it was talked out. It was not a party matter so blaming "the Tories" is daft as plenty of Tories supported it. It was a bill to force schools to teach first aid. There is nothing wrong with it - I learnt first aid in school, but from a proper, qualified first-aid expert who happened to be on the staff. What else though can schools be forced to teach? Anything could be deemed worthy and forced upon schools ill-equipped to provide them. As to first aid, badly taught first aid is worse than no knowledge of it. It was a worthy but ultimately silly bill and best dumped in this way.

Anything could be deemed worthy and forced upon schools ill-equipped to provide them.......a very frightening scenario, why oh why is education a political football !!!!

BetterTogether
23-Nov-15, 17:32
Maybe it would be better to ensure kids are taught decent levels of main education like arithmetic and basic English, sciences, languages and those who aren't inclined that way woodwork and metalwork or basic engineering rather than alol these ancillary projects which sound very nice but mean our children are falling behind on the key subjects.

Alrock
30-Nov-15, 18:54
If you don't like it then sign the petition...

http://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/111441