PDA

View Full Version : That Green Green Grass of Home

Errogie
21-Apr-07, 22:28
O.K. so it's that time of year when you dig out the lawnmower from where it's been buried under a heap of other irems at the back of the shed and wheel it out for battle with a prayer that it's going to start without too much hassle.

Now I have to point out that my lawn has become so mossy that it is like a deep pile carpet to walk on and even more delightful to sit or lie down on. The colour admittedly is tending more towards yellow than bright green but so what, this is more than compensated for by the texture and the plus side is that the moss slows down growth by grass.

What really gets up my nose however is the garden centre/lawn moss removing industry which blatantly wants you to scarify your lawn, plant more seed, feed it more fertiliser, grow more grass, buy more lawn mowers and spend more money on their ridiculously unnecessary products. Why, Why, Why?

This is one of those Emporer wears no clothes situations where for so many good reasons, from reducing your carbon footprint, providing a wildlife habitat to having another hour in bed on a Sunday morning a whole way of thinking and being made to feel lawn guilt by the so called experts in mega buck earning garden centres has to be challenged.

Come out and be proud of your mossy lawn. Roll on it, sleep on it, wriggle your bare toes luxuriously through it. Pull it up to wipe clean a paint brush or blow your nose with it. Moss is your soft, welcoming friend and can be really useful, but don't be taken in by the ethnic cleansing profiteering tactics of so called lawn experts.

Mosspride rules O.K. ! Does anyone else think this way, we might form a subversive organisation to destabilise grass lawns called Mossit.

JAWS
21-Apr-07, 22:58
The simplest solution is a good covering of Ready-Mix applied once at the start of the growing season!

Torvaig
21-Apr-07, 23:05
I totally agree with you Errogie; moss is wonderful on bare feet! And you are right; all these things advertised insisting that we need to buy them are superfluous!

It's kinda like the "Bettaware" catalogue; they would have us think we needed all the many cleaning fluids, creams, powders, oils, polishes and different brushes and dusters for the furniture, hard floors, carpets etc., etc.

Enjoy your moss!

Torvaig
21-Apr-07, 23:08
The simplest solution is a good covering of Ready-Mix applied once at the start of the growing season!

Jaws, I have just done this; well something similar involving Caithness stone in crazy paving along with chips instead of grass and a lorra lorra decking.

Never thought of the ready-mix........:confused

sweetpea
21-Apr-07, 23:15
In my experience the moss option wins every time as long as it's green why worry. If your grass is lush then no need to bother. At best the mossst Id want to do is keep it growing and green.

zenmaster
29-Apr-07, 15:16
Here's my first message as a newbie.... my Aunt's launch is a mix of moss and grass and it's like a deep pile carpet - fantastic! I wish I could have even grown moss - the newly laid turf of last year has disappeared despite my best efforts. My narrow garden gets very little light and there are three trees on each side, so little chance of grass thriving. I've now stripped it all out and laid astroturf which is great for the kids and me to play on.

badger
29-Apr-07, 19:16
One of my favourite replies by a panel member on Gardeners' Question Time was to a question on lawns. He said how boring grass was and mixture of other plants was so much more interesting. So now I happily have daisies, clover and of course lots of moss. There is grass as well, just for variety. But please, folks, don't replace your grass with concrete or other unnatural and artificial materials that are so unwelcoming to wild life. I know cutting grass is hard work (oh how I know, I have far too much and hate cutting it) but it's so worth it - nothing else is so much fun for children and wee bugs. Astroturf doesn't grow daisies so how can they make daisy chains? I was watching a little sparrow out of my window pulling up grass until her beak was full - you can't make a nest out of concrete.

rich
30-Apr-07, 15:27
Have you tried concrete?

golach
30-Apr-07, 15:49
Have you tried concrete?
Green concrete is easy to maintain :lol:

Penelope Pitstop
30-Apr-07, 15:53
Wish mine was mossy....it's grown an inch since I cut it on Friday.:~(

badger
30-Apr-07, 16:54
Must admit some kind of growth-suppressant would be very useful. It's a bit like housework, you've no sooner finished than you have to start all over again.