PDA

View Full Version : Old brewery

crashbandicoot1979
21-Apr-07, 18:36
Heard a rumour that the old brewery in Thurso was demolished today -anyone know of this is true? Beginning to think someone has something against all the old buildings in the town - the Viewfirth will soon be gone too.

kwbrown111
21-Apr-07, 18:39
yes the brewery has been demolished. about time as well

flash
21-Apr-07, 18:42
we were down the street last night watching the roof coming off. By this afternoon, it was mostly demolished.

crashbandicoot1979
21-Apr-07, 18:43
Really? I was surprised as I didn't think they could knock it down just like that. Something to do with an unusual gable end, which made it listed?? It probably needed to come down but what worries me is what will go in its place. More flats no doubt. To be honest I'd rather they left the thing standing if thats the case.

Bobinovich
21-Apr-07, 18:46
I heard that it was started yesterday (Friday) evening. Unsure whether the time choosen was because there would be less traffic concerns or because they didn't want anyone stopping them last minute!!!

I'm personally not bothered - it was serving no useful purpose in the condition it was in, and no-one was coming forward with solid plans for it, so why not demolish?

The Viewfirth is IMO a different matter simply because externally it isn't in a dilapidated or dangerous state. It's just a shame that they can't leave the outside shell and build new insides instead of starting from scratch.

kwbrown111
21-Apr-07, 18:48
yes it is going to be continuation of the flats already being built. i beleive that that part was only the grain store for the brewery not the actual brewery.

flash
21-Apr-07, 18:50
I remember a previous thread to the effect that it was the crow step gable that was unusual, though not unique in Thurso. Over the years I recall several ideas for an alternative use for the building that fell by the wayside.

As far as I know the building hasn't been used as a brewry in living memory.

kwbrown111
21-Apr-07, 18:50
Hopefully the next building to be pulled down will be the one at the town square.

flash
21-Apr-07, 18:52
If its not cost effective to rebuild, it's probably better being pulled down and re developed

Bill Fernie
21-Apr-07, 19:26
The building was listed and therefor required special permission to demolish. the application outlined several previous suggestions for the building and the fact that all had come to nothing. The owners had looked at the possibilities of using the building for convesion but the costs were prohibitive and unless demolition was granted it was likely that it would stand as it was for many years to come.

Here is the extract from the minutes of the Caithness Planning Committee held on Monday 22 January 2007 in Assembly Rooms, Wick.

There had been circulated report C/P/4/07 dated 15th January, 2007, by the Area Planning and Building Standards Manager recommending approval of an application by O’Brien Construction Limited for listed building consent for the demolition of the former brewery building at 22 Mansons Lane, Thurso.

The Committee noted that the building is in a perilous state of disrepair and that evidence had been submitted by the applicant to demonstrate that the building is beyond repair and detailing efforts which have been made over the years to try to find a use for the property.

The Committee noted that if they agreed to grant the application it would require to be referred to Historic Scotland. The Committee agreed that it was minded to grant listed building consent subject to the condition detailed in the report as had been recommended.

See photos of demolition etc here -
http://www.caithness.org/atoz/thurso/photogallery/index.php?gallery=71&start=12

HomeFixit
21-Apr-07, 20:40
The Old Brewery was not a beautiful building and stood empty and unloved as long as I can remember. I am sad to see it go. Here one day, gone the next. Easy as that. Soulless flats in its place. Thurso will soon look like every other town - Legoland.

I heard many years ago that the building was listed with its tin roof and thats why it was so difficult to renovate. The whole idea of listing buildings is a nonsense. It just makes them too expensive to renovate and they therefore fall into disrepair until they eventually are a danger and have to be demolished. They would be safer from harm if they were not listed at all.

I just hope that since the decision to demolish Viewfirth seems to already have been taken, there should be great pains made to ensure any new building on that site is full of character and will stand as a new landmark for future generations to see and use.

New architecture for a new century instead of more dull boxes.

bky
21-Apr-07, 20:49
I Would Like to see the remains of the brewery used to build a seat/bench either around the river or near to where the brewey stood

HomeFixit
21-Apr-07, 21:01
I Would Like to see the remains of the brewery used to build a seat/bench either around the river or near to where the brewey stood

What a good idea... gone but not forgotten. But I fear it might be too late.
Better get round there tonight while there is still some stone left! [lol]

footie chick
21-Apr-07, 21:02
Hopefully the next building to be pulled down will be the one at the town square.

Something has to be done about that its is crazy that it has gone on this long.

As for the Viewfirth I think it should kept it is a lovely building in a nice setting hopefully if someone wins the lottery tonight they will turn it into a house?

oldmarine
23-Apr-07, 01:19
The building was listed and therefor required special permission to demolish. the application outlined several previous suggestions for the building and the fact that all had come to nothing. The owners had looked at the possibilities of using the building for convesion but the costs were prohibitive and unless demolition was granted it was likely that it would stand as it was for many years to come.

Here is the extract from the minutes of the Caithness Planning Committee held on Monday 22 January 2007 in Assembly Rooms, Wick.

There had been circulated report C/P/4/07 dated 15th January, 2007, by the Area Planning and Building Standards Manager recommending approval of an application by O’Brien Construction Limited for listed building consent for the demolition of the former brewery building at 22 Mansons Lane, Thurso.

The Committee noted that the building is in a perilous state of disrepair and that evidence had been submitted by the applicant to demonstrate that the building is beyond repair and detailing efforts which have been made over the years to try to find a use for the property.

The Committee noted that if they agreed to grant the application it would require to be referred to Historic Scotland. The Committee agreed that it was minded to grant listed building consent subject to the condition detailed in the report as had been recommended.

See photos of demolition etc here -
http://www.caithness.org/atoz/thurso/photogallery/index.php?gallery=71&start=12

Thank you Bill for your posting and photos. It brought back memories.

George Brims
24-Apr-07, 01:39
Better get round there tonight while there is still some stone left! [lol]
Some years ago when I was a student (OK a lot of years ago!) some pieces of the Scott Monument in Princes St in Edinburgh came loose. It was found quite a lot of the stone was crumbling in the Auld Reekie atmosphere, so scaffolding was erected and a lot of it pulled off for restoration work. Pieces that looked like they could be re-used were laid out on the grass with numbers painted on them. Late one night as I walked home along there I overheard this bloke say to two well-dressed American tourists "...and once you pick out your piece we can have it shipped directly to you in the States". I often wonder which bit they chose, and how much the wide boy made off them.