PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Trackers

Rheghead
17-May-05, 15:11
Does anyone have one fitted? If so how much do they cost and reduce insurance by and can I keep track of a driver on the internet? Are they worth buying?

Alananders68
17-May-05, 15:19
I am supposed to have one fitted, Direct Line keep telling me that although my insurance is fully comp that until I get a tracker fitted I won't be covered for theft or attempted theft. The cheapest quote I could get for having a tracker fitted was £400ish, can't remember exact amount as it was a while back but I didn't get it done and decided to just take the chance and hope my car doesn't get nicked. It is really unfair that insurance companies demand alarms and trackers and everything nowadays [mad]

Alananders68
17-May-05, 17:58
Alan - You must have a sought after motor, is it a classic or a Roller?
I wish. Sadly though it's just a normal car.

I've been with Direct Line for a few years now and never had this problem with my last car but when I got a new car last year they said it had to have a tracker and I said I'd get one fitted (not realising at the time of saying that that it would cost so much) but I can't afford to throw £400 away on something I don't want. My insurance only got renewed a couple of weeks ago and I suppose I should've looked at changing to another insurer :confused .

EDDIE
17-May-05, 18:33
If you was wanting to keep track of a driver the the alternative method is tracking by the mobile phone which u can do over the internet.
A lot of people dont relise its alright having these gadgets but its also like big brother knowing what ure doing

Whitewater
17-May-05, 22:44
Alananders, what kind of car did you buy, my last two cars have had trackers fitted, both the one I bought last year and the one before that I bought four years ago.

They are only activated after you report the car missing, but when you get the car you also get some documents which you have to complete and forward to the company to register.

Fesman
18-May-05, 08:57
A vehicle tracking system uses either GPS or radio technology to automatically track and record a fleet's field activities. Activity is recorded by modules attached to each vehicle, and movement is tracked wirelessly nationwide. The data is transmitted to a central, internet-connected computer where it is stored. Data can then be analyzed and reports can be downloaded in real-time to your computer using either web browser based tools or customized software.

This link is one of many I found using Google

http://www.protecsystems.info/

weeboyagee
19-May-05, 10:11
I know how Alananders feels - I have wanted the car that I have got now for years - but couldn't afford it. Now I've got it all the insurance prices were astronomical. I don't mind that so much since you shouldn't get a car if you don't know what the full cost of it is going to be - but the insurer insisted on having a Thatchem II immobiliser fitted before they would insure me :eek: - regardless of my post code - which seems to determine your liability for having your car nicked. The difference in insurance price was the amount it cost for the immobiliser and it's fitting so I suppose I can't complain too much! :confused

Fesman
19-May-05, 12:11
Do you know what car thieves do in NZ?

They load the stolen car into an enclosed aluminium trailer, tow it into the countryside, remove and dump the tracker and tow the now invisible car to their lockup.

Trackers... pfffffft!!

For the unenlightened... aluminium blocks the tracker's transmissions.

Edit: For that reason alone, DON'T display warning signs on your vehicle.