PDA

View Full Version : Morning coffee around the county.

Lavenderblue2
17-May-05, 09:24
A couple of weeks ago on a ‘dreich morning’ my daughter and I were off to Wick and being as we were early and had plenty of time to spare we decided to go to Bord De Leau for coffee, cream and chocolate croissants, decadent I know. By the time we had parked the car and walked to the restaurant we were wet and windblown. We went in and were greeted by the warm and welcoming smell of coffee – there were maybe half a dozen folk in afore us. We sat down and the waitress hailed us from about two tables away saying – ‘Yes?’ To which we replied ‘Two coffee’s with cream please and two chocolate croissants’, only to be told still from two tables away ‘None left!’ It was only just after 10am!! ‘What nothing at all?’ I said. ‘Nothing’ she replied and disappeared into the back!! Could it be that we were too wet and windblown? What if we had been tourists? Good job that the smell of coffee was warm and welcoming…………..we were amazed and left.

I know’, I said, we’ll go to No.1 – my husband and I had taken the grandchildren there for Sunday lunch a couple of weeks before that and although the service on that day was painfully slow (we waited ¾ hour for our meal) the food was good.
So off we went to No.1 – we were the only ones in there – it was lovely and warm and the surroundings are so stylish. I gave our by now well rehearsed order……. ‘We don’t have cream’ came the answer. No cream!! This is a hotel………………..? So we each decided to have one of these coffee’s with the flavoured syrup in – bad move – the waitress was obviously not awake yet as it took her an absolute age to make these coffee’s and when we finally got them, served in a smallish glass from which you would expect and Irish coffee to be served after a meal, they were barely warm and synthetic tasting. When I came to pay for these two coffee’s and two croissants it came to £9!! What a rip off – I think No.1 are letting themselves down, it has such great potential.

This week we went to the Portland Arms – hadn’t been there for an age. Well, we were served a pot of coffee, which yielded 4 good cups and 4 huge slices of tray bake - bliss. We enjoyed this at a leisurely pace in sumptuous surroundings all for £4.80! And with a fast and courteous service, how can you beat that?

I couldn’t miss out the Pentland Hotel when speaking of morning coffee’s, this is consistently good, last time we had the usual coffee, cream and three small pieces of tray bake for £3.15 – and the service is good and very friendly indeed.

LB

weeboyagee
17-May-05, 09:55
Service like that in Bord De Leau? :eek: That's a surprise! What a shame you didn't get the service you were looking for there. :( I have never been let down in there in all the times I have eaten there, lunch for a baguette or evening meal. I admit, I have never been for morning coffee but any other time I have been in they have delivered every time. They are always friendly. They, the Bistro in Thurso and the Captains Galley in Scrabster are the only restaurants in Caithness that I trust to deliver quality food with quality service every time. I take my friends and quests to these places and never get let down or go away disappointed.

However, I take the general point that LB2 is making - we have a lot to learn in Caithness in general about delivering quality service, regularly and for a reaonsonable price. My biggest disappointment is the lack of trained staff and lack of communication skills. :~(

Fesman
17-May-05, 10:19
Ahhhh.. I see where you went wrong LB.

When you were seated in that cafe (?).. What's it called?... Bord de Line, you should never have allowed the waitress to shout at you across two tables.

On that occasion, it would have been better to pretend you didn't hear her and wait for her to come to you. That's her job.

When, after telling her your request, she said "None left", your response should have been, "Good. They are all still here then."

The other place, No 1, should spell out it's name.. "No One".. because at those prices that's who will visit more than once.

It's a bit late for coffee for me. I'll settle for a Bailey's :)

Lavenderblue2
17-May-05, 10:25
Fesman said:
When, after telling her your request, she said "None left", your response should have been, "Good. They are all still here then."

The other place, No 1, should spell out it's name.. "No One".. because at those prices that's who will visit more than once.

What a breath of fresh air you are Fresman - you made me laugh for the first time today!

:lol: LB

trinkie
18-May-05, 12:42
WOW you have every reason to feel surprised at that price !
What were they serving? You obviously felt it was not worth all that money .

I once ran a little tea shop and found that people who have morning coffee out are usually retired folk - like myself I doubt if they could afford that amount very often. Even if they go occasionally, I dont think there are enough folk of that ilk in Wick to support this business.

Let's hope word will get back to the management that their price is too high and rather than have the place close down, they ought to think about re-pricing. I'm sure a slightly lower price would bring more people in....Bums on Seats as they say!

Regarding the 'service' you received in the first place. This is not good enough! and very obviously bad management at fault here. I hope you had a word with the Manager , who in turn will try to train the assistant - there's no need for such bad manners. After all it is the Assistant's job that's at risk if the place loses all it's customers for a lack of Service/ good manners.

Take a flask of coffee with you next time - I have given up on poor service and high prices.

SD

katarina
20-May-05, 20:42
Very surprised at the bord d'leu. I've often had morning coffee there and never been disapointed. We also eat regulary at no 1. It is pricey. Rull Meals generally better value than cream teas!

Margaret M.
20-May-05, 21:27
Thanks for the chuckle, Fresman. For 9 pounds (can't remember how to do the pound sign), it better have been very tasty, pricey is an understatement. Where is No. 1?