PDA

View Full Version : Northcote Street

Mosser
30-Oct-15, 21:23
People of a certain age will remember the large tenement building at the top of Northcote Street in Wick. The folks who attend the Laurandy Centre have been debating this hotly - was there a name for this building? It seems that not even the folk who lived there can come up with a name, apart from Stella Bain's shop, so, come ye orgers!

bonami
30-Oct-15, 21:47
First house I lived in after I got married. Don't think it ever had a name it was flats belonged to the council. Number I was in was 78 Macrae St but other side was in Northcote St were Stellas shop was at that time it was closed Whole building was a bit of a dump and it was demolished soon after we moved out in 1976.

pat
30-Oct-15, 23:00
There was definitely a name for that buildings but cannot think what it was - hopefully will remember in the middle of the night sometime and make a note.

Alice in Blunderland
31-Oct-15, 15:10
My Dad said Stellas shop was in Northcote street but the tenement entrance was in Macrae St he doesnt remember a name for the building. He didnt think there was a name he just thought it was numbers in Macrae St.

Mosser
01-Nov-15, 15:07
Thanks folks, some folk still strongly maintain that there was a name for it but I have never heard of one.

Tighsonas4
06-Nov-15, 12:21
was it the bee hive tony:lol:

gleeber
06-Nov-15, 14:16

Hi Tighsonas, Its good to see you on the org again.

Tighsonas4
06-Nov-15, 21:06
hi jim still trying to keep my hand in getting old

Mosser
07-Nov-15, 09:44
The Bee Hive was Begg Bros Drapery store before DE shoes on the corner of Bridge street/ High Street

Tighsonas4
07-Nov-15, 14:34
theremy mstake mosser but am sure there was a name for it
was a message boy with greeneles but canna mind it
too old at ninety mind where mossers den was lol

Kevin Milkins
07-Nov-15, 15:43
Good to see you posting again, Tony.
When your little lad comes into the shop I always ask after you.

Mosser
07-Nov-15, 18:10
Just had a message from a friend in Canada who was speaking to David Dunnett who now lives in Florida. David says that in his day they called it "'e beeg hoose." any thoughts on this one?

Tighsonas4
07-Nov-15, 21:32
david would know I thjnk worked with him

he was a mechanic in the county garage albert st cheers tOny

gleeber
07-Nov-15, 21:41
Where did the name Bee Hive come from?

joe
07-Nov-15, 21:42
Yes ,I can mind it being called the big house too

south view 7
08-Nov-15, 19:34
david would know I thjnk worked with him

he was a mechanic in the county garage albert st cheers tOny

Do you know where the Skeat hive was Tony?

Tighsonas4
09-Nov-15, 12:40
mind welthe skate hive but it was quite well known div e know tony

Mosser
09-Nov-15, 16:08
Do you know where the Skeat hive was Tony?
North east corner of Huddart St and Kinnaird Street, so called I believe because there was once a deep archway where Skate were hung to dry in the through breeze

Tighsonas4
09-Nov-15, 21:02
have been ln that house for insurance all flats tony