PDA

View Full Version : Traffic in Bridge street

giggs
20-Apr-07, 15:23
Is it me or is Bridge street supposed to be open for buses and lorries only?
I'm sure i saw a big sign up saying this and lots of diversion signs, but the amount of cars still using the bridge is a joke.

They where queing at the roundabout, waiting for the temp. traffic lights to turn green and holding up all the traffic that wanted to go in any other direction..........mental!!

There will be an accident there, if there hasn't been already!!

Rant over, sorry.

henry20
20-Apr-07, 15:33
Haha, funny you should mention this, I was through last night and the person at the front at roundabout waited for the light to go green before they filtered right. :lol: Me? I was bad and went straight through - I never noticed the sign saying heavy vehicles only until I was at other end. Oops!!

jekyll n hyde
20-Apr-07, 16:09
i was in wick on wednesday and maybe it a sign does say for light traffic to be diverted...needless to say i carried on anyway to the lights....another car was in front of me and when the lights turned we went through got so far and had to stop....why?.....because the bin lorry was stuck in the middle of the road doing its job coming towards us....but with others cars following behind that had already come through the lights....others cars sitting behind me nowhere to go....my only choice was to turn left(yes i know it was a no entry but)the whole road was blocked.....so the the mess was sorted....i think others followed too...lol
I think its going to cause more bother along the way:mad:

rfr10
20-Apr-07, 17:39
Coming in from the North Road, only heavy goods vehicles and busses should go ahead through the traffic lights however, when coming through from the roundabout, any vehicles can go through.

I haven't yet though seen any cars follow the diversion signs.

quirbal
20-Apr-07, 17:52
Yes, and they had the whole of the school holidays to work on the roads but yet for some strange reason they decide to start when all the kids are going to school in buses and other transport.:confused

rfr10
20-Apr-07, 20:16
Yes, and they had the whole of the school holidays to work on the roads but yet for some strange reason they decide to start when all the kids are going to school in buses and other transport.:confused

Don't they usually have to wait for a certain date that they have been permitted to do the work on.

johno
22-Apr-07, 22:18
i reckon we all aught to be thankful that at last something is being done about the main streets.
the streets are badly in need of repair and i think it,ll be worth the incovenience. guess we will all have to be a bit more patient. ps there,ll be a lot less busted springs, [disgust] [evil]

brandy
22-Apr-07, 22:39
i went down bridge street this morning about 8 am
just cause i was curious
and i thought there would be no traffic.
they really need to completley close it off to traffic except absolutley essential traffic.
there is only one side of road now open.. and the round about is insane.
no ne has a clue on what to do!
hope they get it sorted soon.. the traffic at any rate!

Tony
22-Apr-07, 22:57
Let's hope they do something about the street going to Homebase aswell as it is like it had been cluster bombed with all the pot holes.

giggs
23-Apr-07, 07:42
ha tony, you're right there.
it is next on the list but i can't remember the start date for it. I don't think it is straight after bridge street has been completed but it is going to get done

bigjjuk
23-Apr-07, 09:48
The signs advise light vehicles to use the diversion, its not a rule/order so if a car wants to go through then its up to them, long wait though.

badger
23-Apr-07, 12:11
Apparently the reason they chose the beginning of the tourist season to do this work :eek: is finance - something to do with a new financial year. I've always thought this business of budgets being confined to a particular period is pretty crazy as you hear about organisations rushing to spend money at the end of a year so they don't lose it or, as in this case, postponing urgent work until they're into the next budget.
Will it be finished before the great yachting event?
What on earth are all the people going through to John O'Groats, Orkney etc. going to think.
Caravans trying to get to Dunnet - can you imagine?

Angela
23-Apr-07, 12:23
Apparently the reason they chose the beginning of the tourist season to do this work :eek: is finance - something to do with a new financial year. I've always thought this business of budgets being confined to a particular period is pretty crazy as you hear about organisations rushing to spend money at the end of a year so they don't lose it or, as in this case, postponing urgent work until they're into the next budget.
What on earth are all the people going through to John O'Groats, Orkney etc. going to think.

You're right badger...April is the new financial year! Exactly the same going on here. Wonderful idea to start work on the Forth Road Bridge, closing off the northbound carriageway, in the last couple of weeks....work will continue all summer with a short break for the Highland Show.[lol]

I think they try to justify it partly by saying the weather in winter is too bad, but I don't think that really applies these days that winters are milder.

celtic 302
23-Apr-07, 13:04

The work on bridge street is going to take about 5 weeks so does it clash with the boat thing?

badger
23-Apr-07, 15:38
Not if it's finished in time but I thought it was 10 weeks ? Still would have been better sooner. Doesn't seem long since the last lot of diversions in the middle of the town so they could have done it all together - only I suppose we're back to money.

rfr10
23-Apr-07, 16:41
The signs advise light vehicles to use the diversion, its not a rule/order so if a car wants to go through then its up to them, long wait though.

The signs do though, specifically state 'Heavy Vehicles and Busses ONLY ahead and ALL light vehicles are to use the diversion' They are put there for the benefit of the workers aswell and even though we've been through Bridge Street once, I'd still say it's a bit selfish of the people who constantly ignore signs.