PDA

View Full Version : EU in or out

BetterTogether
21-Oct-15, 15:28
An interesting poll here on the EU vote it's shown by age group and country. Also the poll is still open if you want to join in.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/poll/19-10-2015/should-the-uk-stay-in-the-eu

rob murray
21-Oct-15, 16:01
An interesting poll here on the EU vote it's shown by age group and country. Also the poll is still open if you want to join in.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/poll/19-10-2015/should-the-uk-stay-in-the-eu

SO unless artithmetically challeneged I make it.... 59% of English people , 57% in Wales, 56% in NI and 38% Scots ( all ages ) want out of EU...seems Scotland is out of step with rest of UK on this one....but theres polls and polls aint there ?

weezer 316
21-Oct-15, 16:09
Scotland will creep higher I suspect. Off the top of my head I would say a narrow majority want to leave the EU from people I know. hardly scientific I know.

A majority my age want to stay in but most older I know want out.

rob murray
21-Oct-15, 16:24
Scotland will creep higher I suspect. Off the top of my head I would say a narrow majority want to leave the EU from people I know. hardly scientific I know.

A majority my age want to stay in but most older I know want out.

How old are you if you dont mind me asking ..Im 58 and want to stay in and so do most folk I know, usually in business and over 35.

BetterTogether
21-Oct-15, 16:34
Well I'm not as ancient as you Rob but most people I know want out.

Admittedly I'm not working out on the Siberian Oil fields surrounded by Inuit and Wooly mammoth like yourself.

Maybe it's like the referendum questions when asked everyone nodded their head and said yes but in their hearts and the poll booth they ticked No.
Same with the EU they just can't be bothered with the ear tweaking from the pro lobby

rob murray
21-Oct-15, 16:53
Well I'm not as ancient as you Rob but most people I know want out.

Admittedly I'm not working out on the Siberian Oil fields surrounded by Inuit and Wooly mammoth like yourself.

Maybe it's like the referendum questions when asked everyone nodded their head and said yes but in their hearts and the poll booth they ticked No.
Same with the EU they just can't be bothered with the ear tweaking from the pro lobby

Im desk bound in ALness.....and thanks ( not ) for calling me ancient......would agree with rest though

weezer 316
21-Oct-15, 16:53
How old are you if you dont mind me asking ..Im 58 and want to stay in and so do most folk I know, usually in business and over 35.

You're defo in the minority of people I know at that age.

This will be tight. We must stay in, if only to have the ability to shape the EU. Its been a massive success and has helped bring a divided continent together. Cant see any other examples of trans-national bodies agreed to with real power that I know of to anything like the extent we have now. And people forget, the EU is actually the worlds largest economy, that has its perks.

rob murray
21-Oct-15, 16:56

You're defo in the minority of people I know at that age.

This will be tight. We must stay in, if only to have the ability to shape the EU. Its been a massive success and has helped bring a divided continent together. Cant see any other examples of trans-national bodies agreed to with real power that I know of to anything like the extent we have now. And people forget, the EU is actually the worlds largest economy, that has its perks.

Totally agree with you, older people "yearn" for a past that never ever existed, good old Britain standing alone / we had an empire etc etc ....hell it took years of pleading on bended knees before we got in what was called the Common Market. If Im in the minority for my age then Im proud of being so.

BetterTogether
21-Oct-15, 18:11
Oh aye always a good idea to be part of an organisation that hasn't had its accounts signed off for errrr let me think oh aye an embarrassingly long time. A totally undemocratic bureaucratic political day dream. Free trade is one thing allowing a bunch of corrupt unelected bureaucrats to run your country is another, all it shows is the level of mentality of the political minnows who advocate it.

weezer 316
21-Oct-15, 20:20
Oh aye always a good idea to be part of an organisation that hasn't had its accounts signed off for errrr let me think oh aye an embarrassingly long time. A totally undemocratic bureaucratic political day dream. Free trade is one thing allowing a bunch of corrupt unelected bureaucrats to run your country is another, all it shows is the level of mentality of the political minnows who advocate it.

Yet again your hypocrisy is staggering. When this country, or the tories whom you clearly support (I voted for them in 2010 for the record) abolish the undemocratic, unelected and clearly toothless house of lord then we will listen to your undemocratic and unelected argument about the EU, and not before, OK? So you don't need to bring it up again.

BetterTogether
21-Oct-15, 20:49
Yet again your hypocrisy is staggering. When this country, or the tories whom you clearly support (I voted for them in 2010 for the record) abolish the undemocratic, unelected and clearly toothless house of lord then we will listen to your undemocratic and unelected argument about the EU, and not before, OK? So you don't need to bring it up again.
Seems you're unable to reconcile your love of the EU and it's completely undemocratic unaccountable bureaucrats and the House of Lords which has checks and balances in to keep it inline. Shame you're so fired up to be unable to tell the difference.

Fulmar
22-Oct-15, 08:27
Well, two wrongs don't make a right in any case, Weezer. It is possible for both to undergo much needed and even demanded reform but I'll bet it's the House of Lords that has it first- indeed, it already has been, starting in 1911 and continuing since- but there is still a lot of room for improvement, obviously.

cptdodger
22-Oct-15, 09:12
I would need to see the pros and cons for staying in or leaving the EU, to be fair before I make a decision on how to vote. It is not as cut and dries as the Referendum was, for me anyway.

rob murray
22-Oct-15, 11:32
Well, two wrongs don't make a right in any case, Weezer. It is possible for both to undergo much needed and even demanded reform but I'll bet it's the House of Lords that has it first- indeed, it already has been, starting in 1911 and continuing since- but there is still a lot of room for improvement, obviously.

You may well be right here if the Tax Credit revolt in the Lords progresses ...........The prime minister used a question from Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg over the respective powers of the Commons and the Lords to issue a thinly-veiled warning to peers minded to challenge the policy on tax credits.Mr Cameron said the 1911 Parliament Act enshrined the right of the Commons to have the final say over budgetary and financial matters, pointing out that MPs had already backed the tax credit changes in two separate votes."I think the House of Lords should listen to that very carefully and recognise it is for this House to make financial decisions and it is for the other House to revise other legislation," he said.

A government source has accused peers of "provoking a constitutional showdown" by tabling a so-called "fatal motion" in an attempt to halt the cuts. Peers will vote on a range of motions on Monday.They include the "fatal motion" from the Lib Dems and another motion tabled by crossbench peer Lady Meacher, who wants the government to respond first to an impact analysis by the Institute for Fiscal Studies.

The fatal motion is being tabled because tax credit cuts were not in the Tory manifesto...as I understand it but interesting times ahead.........

BetterTogether
22-Oct-15, 12:40
Rob the motion you're looking for is this one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salisbury_Convention

rob murray
22-Oct-15, 13:07
Rob the motion you're looking for is this one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salisbury_Convention

Thanks............................................ ..................

theone
22-Oct-15, 15:21
I'm undecided.

If the terms of our membership can be renegotiated satisfactorily I'll vote to stay in.

If things aren't changed, I'd rather leave and negotiate a trade only deal.

BetterTogether
24-Oct-15, 16:01
This article makes interesting reading for those so keen on staying within the EU, totally accept the telegraph isn't to somes taste but the basic principle held in the piece is sound.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11949701/AEP-Eurozone-crosses-Rubicon-as-Portugals-anti-euro-Left-banned-from-power.html

BetterTogether
24-Oct-15, 16:04
Another interesting article on why the EU isn't such a good idea.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/18/eu-referendum-paul-mason?CMP=share_btn_tw