PDA

View Full Version : Heidi Allen

Fulmar
21-Oct-15, 08:33
Does Heidi Allen show that compassionate conservatism with a small c is not yet dead in the context of the maiden speech that she delivered yesterday? Also, does she demonstrate that it could be a good idea to have more ordinary women in both the UK and Scottish governments?

rob murray
21-Oct-15, 09:48
Does Heidi Allen show that compassionate conservatism with a small c is not yet dead in the context of the maiden speech that she delivered yesterday? Also, does she demonstrate that it could be a good idea to have more ordinary women in both the UK and Scottish governments?

She is only saying what many Tory MP's are.....soften Tax Credit cuts or we will lose seats !! where the compassion ??

Fulmar
21-Oct-15, 11:04
I did not hear what you are saying in her speech. She spoke about 'speaking up for the people 'we'/she' represented ie hard working folk who are not well off and that the poor should not be hit hardest! I agreed with what she said and felt quite encouraged by it and I am most definitely not a Tory!
Also, it was extremely unusual for someone to give a maiden speech so critical of her own party and therefore showed that she was not just speaking out of self interest.

rob murray
21-Oct-15, 11:15
I did not hear what you are saying in her speech. She spoke about 'speaking up for the people 'we'/she' represented ie hard working folk who are not well off and that the poor should not be hit hardest! I agreed with what she said and felt quite encouraged by it and I am most definitely not a Tory!
Also, it was extremely unusual for someone to give a maiden speech so critical of her own party and therefore showed that she was not just speaking out of self interest.

Neither am I.....Quote from news sources : Heidi Allen, Tory MP for South Cambridgeshire, chose to use her maiden speech in the House of Commons to urge George Osborne to soften the impact of his tax credit cuts The South Cambridgeshire MP said she worried that making the cuts in order to meet the Chancellor’s promise to cut £12bn from the welfare bill was tantamount to “betraying” Conservative party values. Ms Allen questioned how many Tory MPs knew what it felt like to choose “whether to eat or heat” : Hard working folk ie the poor in work is being touted in Toryland to differentiate between those who work and for very little and those who "choose" not to work .There is unrest in the Tory party over the ipact of tax credit cuts so she has aligned herself to a rising torrent of dissent....or am I just cynical....good that she is joining, note she is not starting the kick back from a certain % of tories, who see disaster ahead...marginal seats being under threat ....thats politcial self interest isnt it by any definintion.

Oh and she backed the changes last month......http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34577535

tonkatojo
21-Oct-15, 14:07
She is only saying what many Tory MP's are.....soften Tax Credit cuts or we will lose seats !! where the compassion ??

Lose seats ?, they have got a guaranteed 4+years to butter up for the next election and there are so many gullible wannabe torys to take the bait, they have nowt to lose by persecuting the not so well off for now, in my opinion.

rob murray
21-Oct-15, 14:18
Lose seats ?, they have got a guaranteed 4+years to butter up for the next election and there are so many gullible wannabe torys to take the bait, they have nowt to lose by persecuting the not so well off for now, in my opinion.

Putting it like that, I would agree, get the damage in early doors, then 4 years to supply some bread and circuses and theyre back.........

Fulmar
21-Oct-15, 14:37
Putting it like that, I would agree, get the damage in early doors, then 4 years to supply some bread and circuses and theyre back.........
What a depressing prospect!

BetterTogether
21-Oct-15, 15:01
Aye they've only got 4yrs of the SNP digging a hole so big that Chinese steel couldn't fill it then it won't matter who takes over the country will be a mess.