PDA

View Full Version : Dounreay

peter macdonald
20-Apr-07, 07:55
from the P and J

http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149235&command=displayContent&sourceNode=149218&contentPK=17136815&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch

PM

Rheghead
20-Apr-07, 08:08
I would be very surprised if the investigation found that organs weren't taken from Dounreay workers for radiological analysis without relatives knowledge. I think this issue is similar to the taking of body tissues from foetus/stillborn babies without parent's knowledge. Whilst I can understand the feelings of relatives from a religious/spiritual point of view, I am of the opinion that the State should reserve the right to examine body tissue in the interest of Public health/safety without the relatives permission but with their knowledge. Surely the health of the living should be paramount than to bow down to emotional lobbying from concerned groups?

stratman
20-Apr-07, 12:44
I wouldn't be very surprised if the investigation found that organs weren't taken from Dounreay workers for radiological analysis without relatives knowledge. I think this issue is similar to the taking of body tissues from foetus/stillborn babies without parent's knowledge. Whilst I can understand the feelings of relatives from a religious/spiritual point of view, I am of the opinion that the State should reserve the right to examine body tissue in the interest of Public health/safety without the relatives permission but with their knowledge. Surely the health of the living should be paramount than to bow down to emotional lobbying from concerned groups?
Surely this sort of issue should be taken into account prior to a project, with hazardous potential, being started and form art of the planning permission. I would be suprised if samples were not taken from local residents also. Being a recent incomer from the Sellafield area I would be in total agreement with the open taking of necessary samples. The health of the living is paramount but lets be treated as adults.

golach
20-Apr-07, 15:05
I would be more worried by this report, than the previous one

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/6565035.stm

quirbal
20-Apr-07, 19:49
I would be more worried by this report, than the previous one

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/6565035.stm

Possibly, but when you know who the owner of the golf course is possibly not.

concerned resident
21-Apr-07, 15:04
Just thought i would mention the hot spot found on murkle beach, as it could be heading for a beach near you next. Also can a hot spot be washed up on to Rocks, interested to hears anybody elses veiws, as quite often on the rocks fishing.

Rheghead
21-Apr-07, 15:20
Just thought i would mention the hot spot found on murkle beach, as it could be heading for a beach near you next. Also can a hot spot be washed up on to Rocks, interested to hears anybody elses veiws, as quite often on the rocks fishing.

It is entirely possible that hotspots can turn up just about anywhere, even in town. A hot particle gets eaten by a worm which gets eaten by a fish which gets eaten by a gull which then deposits the particle on your car, it is that simple.

golach
21-Apr-07, 15:42
Possibly, but when you know who the owner of the golf course is possibly not.

I did not know, but I can have an educated guess [disgust]

Tristan
21-Apr-07, 15:57
It is entirely possible that hotspots can turn up just about anywhere, even in town. A hot particle gets eaten by a worm which gets eaten by a fish which gets eaten by a gull which then deposits the particle on your car, it is that simple.

If it is that easy it does put a big question mark on the practicality of Nuclear power as an energy source.

North Rhins
21-Apr-07, 16:28
I think technology, together with mans realisation of the catastrophic consequences of the nuclear industry, has advanced somewhat since Dounreay was first foisted upon Caithness.
The cavalier attitude of those early years would not, and could not be tolerated these days.
The state that parts of Caithness were left in and still are, is a national disgrace. But then why do you think that Caithness was chosen in the first place. No doubt they would have preferred to build it in Shetland just to put a few extra miles between themselves and the core. I suppose it all came down to cost. It was easier to take a couple of feet off the hairpin at Berriedale than it was to ship everything to Unst.

scotsboy
21-Apr-07, 17:18
I think technology, together with mans realisation of the catastrophic consequences of the nuclear industry, has advanced somewhat since Dounreay was first foisted upon Caithness.
The cavalier attitude of those early years would not, and could not be tolerated these days.
The state that parts of Caithness were left in and still are, is a national disgrace. But then why do you think that Caithness was chosen in the first place. No doubt they would have preferred to build it in Shetland just to put a few extra miles between themselves and the core. I suppose it all came down to cost. It was easier to take a couple of feet off the hairpin at Berriedale than it was to ship everything to Unst.

Which parts are those then? I think you really need to have a look at some REAL environmental disasters/eyesores etc before making such a comment. Of course there were lessons learnt and things which happened in the past which would not be permitted to be done now - but in the great scheme of things these are insignificant. IMHO.

scotsboy
21-Apr-07, 17:22
If it is that easy it does put a big question mark on the practicality of Nuclear power as an energy source.

What about coal then.....apart from all the other nasty stuff and the mining accidents........how many people die each year in China, never hear anyone suggesting we should stop using coal........back to my point I'll say a very conservative one part per million of coal is Uranium, so for every million tonnes of coal burned that is a tonne of Uranium up in smoke;)

Tristan
21-Apr-07, 17:59
Never a big fan of coal.
There are very different types of nuclear material, some are much higher risk than others.
I personally think more can be done to reduce electricity use to minimize the need for reactors and power plants.
It may not be as practical in the UK, but from what I understand local electricity generation is much more efficient.

This could be a good thread but we are getting off topic.

I have problems taking samples without consent. However taking tissue samples in high risk sites could be introduced as a condition of employment, or a bonus could be paid as a death benefit for those who agreed to the sampling.

North Rhins
21-Apr-07, 18:13
Which parts are those then? I think you really need to have a look at some REAL environmental disasters/eyesores etc before making such a comment. Of course there were lessons learnt and things which happened in the past which would not be permitted to be done now - but in the great scheme of things these are insignificant. IMHO.

I did not realise that my personal observations, comments or beliefs would cause you such personal affront. Please accept my apologies. I will try to refrain, in future, from posting on subjects such as these. If you would permit me just one last comment. The fact, as you so succinctly put it, that in the great scheme of things that the legacy of Dounreay was insignificant, I would suspect that it is not insignificant for those unfortunates that have lived and are still living within the shadow of the sphere. [disgust]

scotsboy
22-Apr-07, 15:45
I haven't taken personal affront - far from it. But in my opinion the statement you made was out of proportion to the facts (as I see them) please feel free to agrue your point, it was not my intention to stifle debate, quite the opposite.

By the way I have lived there, and still have property there - if only the sun would shine more then maybe we would get more of a shadow cast.

oldmarine
23-Apr-07, 00:31
My understanding was, when I was in Thurso, that Dounreay was more of an experimental project than for producing energy. But then I could have been wrong. Living near nuclear reactors for producing energy (I live in Tucson, AZ the Nuclear reactors are located outside of Phoenix, AZ), I occasionally read about them being shut down due to problems. I read about what happened to one in Russia so I know that they can be a large concern.

Future generations could be affected by current happenings. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I have read enough scientific articles to know that there is a possibility of future radiation problems. A friend of mine was in the US Navy in the Pacific when atomic testing was going on. He reported that he is on a list for possible future treatment, but to date he doesn't seem to have any ill effects. Very interesting series of articles on the use of coal, atomic energy, etc. All of my home energy use is by way of electricity, however that sometimes can be produced by coal burners which sometimes also have an undesirable effect. Quite an education in these posts.