PDA

View Full Version : restuarants, wick and thurso areas

caroline_glasgow
19-Apr-07, 20:29
hi there

Please could you recommend any resturants. We have just moved to Wick and we have family coming up this weekend to visit.

Looking for Wick and maybe Thurso.
open to all ideas, as no doubt we will try them all!
Not on same night obv!!!!!!

Thanks

wild1
19-Apr-07, 20:31
The french restaurant in Wick is very good all fresh and locally cooked food a little expensive but well worth it bookings is advised though.

rfr10
19-Apr-07, 20:50
The ones I can think of in Wick are the Wetherspoons, No.1 at Mackays Hotel and Houstons.

For Thurso, best place I can think of is The Central (Top Joes or whatever you want to call it)

flowertot
19-Apr-07, 20:52
In Wick I would say French Restaurant best and in Thurso the Pentland is really good.

caroline_glasgow
19-Apr-07, 20:55
many thanks

caroline

any more????????

x

Blazing Sporrans
19-Apr-07, 20:57
I have found the buffet nights at The Upper Deck in Scrabster to be excellent value. As much as you can eat for I think it's currently £8.95. That only covers the buffet though - without dessert - nevertheless you can help yourself to as much as you like. It's done on a Thursday night and so far I've been to a tandoori buffet and the mexican buffet - both of which were excellent.

The Bistro in Thurso is also excellent for food, although I don't know what their current opening hours are.

futurelegends
19-Apr-07, 22:31
Tried the Station Hotel in Thurso a few weeks ago and went back within a week - Brilliant fare.

Also the Holburn was excellent for the Mother's day menu, don't know what the usual menu is like but if it's half as good as our last visit I'll go back again.

caroline_glasgow
19-Apr-07, 23:00
thanks a lot

x

stupot
20-Apr-07, 12:09
Try the Creag Na Mara Bistro East Mey good food reasonable prices excellent views of Dunnett Head

karia
20-Apr-07, 13:48
We love the st. clair hotel in Thurso
Never had a duff meal there and you can eat in the bar if you want a more relaxed atmospere than the restaurant..same menu!

First place We'll be headed next time we're back up

Doolally
20-Apr-07, 16:08
French Resteraunt is tops and K2 is nice - both in Wick.

outsider
22-Apr-07, 10:03
Dont try the Cenral...unless its maybe a quick lunch

The Upper Deck is very good on the Thursday nights for its buffet. Its located in Scrabster and is cheap:D

Torvaig
22-Apr-07, 14:06
http://www.captainsgalley.co.uk/joomla/

Please have a look at the above link to the Captain's Galley in Scrabster. Excellent restaurant with atmospheric surroundings in the old ice house; beautifully done! They have a wonderful seafood menu made up of what is available locally on the day. The place for a really special treat!

Torvaig
22-Apr-07, 17:35
Another excellent restaurant in Thurso is the Tempest down at the harbour. It also is an outlet for surfing and sports gear and is a very popular place to go for a coffee and a cake or for a full lunch or breakfast. Their meals are freshly cooked and there is always a cauldron of soup on the go; great selections and their baking is mmm.........
It is also easy to find a parking space as you have the whole harbour area! It is very busy during the surfing contests and has a great buzz about the place with excellent staff.

bingo1
22-Apr-07, 23:02
Hi there why dont you try the st clair in thurso i assure you that you will be very impressed, the food is very good the place is beautiful as the whole building has just been renavated and the staff are very freindly. Enjoy.:D

windswept
05-May-07, 19:15
The Schoolhouse at John O'Groat is well worth a visit. The service is good and the food is great.

caroline_glasgow
06-May-07, 15:09
thanks a lot for all the reccomm

we went to no 1, at mackays, was really scrummy. We had a great time

Will try work our way thru the list above!

justine
06-May-07, 15:41
hi..Most definately the schoolhouse in john o'groats..Cracking food and very friendly family run business..Not open tuesdays.....