PDA

View Full Version : buriel or cremation...Whose choise

justine
19-Apr-07, 15:24
I have been reading an article on my home page and it is in relation to global warming...They are coming up with a notion that being cremated ofter your demise is actualy harming the planet..The solution for this is we should all decide to be burier in carboard coffins and be planted unde trees, thus feeding the trees and making more carbon dioxide thus helping the world and its ever growing problem....
Now i have always saiod that i would like to be cremated and hate the thought that maybe you may no longer have a choise for your leaving of this place by the way that you want...Please let me know what your opinions on this is as i find it wrong that people might loose the right to decide their own leaving.....:eek:

jings00
19-Apr-07, 15:26
i would rather be cremated when i am dead, but when i am dead i won't know any different, so bein buried under a tree in a cardboard box, that would do. i dont want to be in a cemetry with a headstone and all that palaver.

henry20
19-Apr-07, 15:32
I've never fancied the idea of being cremated, but I alway thought that if they were to take the choice away, that they would opt for cremation - as it takes up less space. It would need to be a mighty strong cardboard box though - imagine if it collapsed halfway down the church and the body fell out :eek:

From a mourners point of view, I prefer a burial to a cremation. I know both are the final goodbye, but its an eerie feeling watching the body descend to flames rather than a burial, where you have a place to go to feel close to the deceased.

I visited my grandparents graves on my wedding day and it was really special for me to leave my church flowers with them. I wouldn't have had that if they'd been cremated. :~(

jings00
19-Apr-07, 15:46
yeh, ach it all depends on the individual.
my dad was cremated, and his ashes scattered in the garden of remembrance down in inverness,a beautiful setting too. no plaque or anything was done either and we didny see the coffin descend into the flames, the curtain was drawn and that was that. when it's time for my mum the same will happen for her, and a tree will be planted in remembrance of them both.
i've never gone to visit, my dad will always be with me anyways.
i am not a religious person, and i would hate for my farewell to be held in a church. no thanks. but as i sais, it all depends on the individual/family.

Rheghead
19-Apr-07, 15:47
Once I am dead then I won't or can't care what happens to me. But I like the idea of being fed to the creatures that share our planet. A sea burial or being fed to the crows on the top of Benn Ratha sounds good. Failing that a cardboard box burial will suffice but I don't like the idea that a plot of our planet is taken up to bury me. That is why being turned into fishfood sounds good to me.

Anything but cremation because of Global Warming.

justine
19-Apr-07, 15:54
Once I am dead then I won't or can't care what happens to me. But I like the idea of being fed to the creatures that share our planet. A sea burial or being fed to the crows on the top of Benn Ratha sounds good. Failing that a cardboard box burial will suffice but I don't like the idea that a plot of our planet is taken up to bury me. That is why being turned into fishfood sounds good to me.

Anything but cremation because of Global Warming.
My hubby has always wanted to be put to see after his death, is it allowed...I thought maybe there was a way to have it done without loads of red tape....Is there anywhere you know that i could check this out as it is his wish and i would like to be able to do this for him..thanks justine

golach
19-Apr-07, 15:55
Have you seen the price of a recycled cardboard coffin, its over £1200, an expensive carton:eek:

Angela
19-Apr-07, 15:57
I've never liked the idea of being buried (I'm claustrophobic) -although of course I wouldn't know, would I?

It may seem a bit maudlin, but it is a good idea, no matter what your age, for your nearest and dearest to have some idea of what you would like.

A close friend of mine died very suddenly aged 50. He had already decided he wanted the cardboard box and woodland burial and had chosen the place. His funeral was as good an experience as the funeral of someone who hadn't reached threescore years and ten could be...and making the arrangements was a little bit easier for his family. I don't think there is space for us all to have that sort of burial though.

It can be comforting to have somewhere special to go to feel close to the person you've lost, but I don't think that necessarily has to be where they (or their ashes) are buried. Although my mother-in-law's ashes were interred in the village churchyard and I know my sister-in-law likes to "visit" her mum and take her flowers.

My husband died very suddenly in his 50s a couple of years ago. We had no plans made in advance, but I knew he didn't want a burial. So he was cremated, but he had a willow casket, not a wooden box!

For me, a physical memorial doesn't matter. Your loved one lives on in your memories. You can visit a special place you liked being with them when they were alive...and feel both sad and happy thinking of them there.:( :)

jings00
19-Apr-07, 15:58
yeh, i believe the cardboard coffins are expensive, i don't see what is wrong wi bein wrapped up in a blanket and planted/cremated then.

Rheghead
19-Apr-07, 16:02
Why not knock up a coffin for yersels? There's not much to 'em.

justine
19-Apr-07, 16:05
Have you seen the price of a recycled cardboard coffin, its over £1200, an expensive carton:eek:
hi golach. Well the trus estimates are as follows....For the plot single is 375 a double is 710

Each buriel is priced at 395

Coffins....

Solid pine 280

bamboo eco 265

bamboo lattice 340

willow 550

and last but not least cardboard 160....So not as expensive but when put all together it comes close depending on what you have..This is the typical for a woodland buriel, if you would like to help the enviorment....:D

henry20
19-Apr-07, 16:08
For me, a physical memorial doesn't matter. Your loved one lives on in your memories. You can visit a special place you liked being with them when they were alive...and feel both sad and happy thinking of them there.

Thats ok in theory - I have fond memories of most of my grandparents, but my grandad died when I was 2, so the only time I can feel close to him is at his graveside. He was still an important part of my life though. I spoke about him every day until I went to school, then I stopped. I really wish I did have memories of him. :~(

trinkie
19-Apr-07, 16:16
If you google heaven on earth + Bristol you will find some of their coffins are around £100...... and can be used as a blanket box till you're ready for it yourself !
I have been to the showroom and they do some great items .

I have also seen a Wicker Coffin funeral, where the coffin is buried under a tree and then grows - it was the loveliest I have seen .

Nothing new about a Wicker coffin Funeral , I have a Groat cutting of one in 1800 something !!

Your Good Health !
Trinkie

justine
19-Apr-07, 16:20
i agree with this...I have no memories at all of anyone in my family that have passed on..I grew up military and moved and due to falling outs between my parents families i was forced to grow up with no other family than my parents......I know that my grandfather passed away when i was five and i have few memories of him....I do not know where he is buried infact i have no knowledge of my families history other than what few things i have learnedover the past....Fortunately both my parents both in their 60s are still alive, but they donot talk to me as i am not living in england any more.They6 seem to ahve forgot that i exist as i moved to scotland..And the thought of me not knowing what they want or have anywhere to go visit them would be hard to deal with....Even though i would still prefer to be cremated, i dont like the idea of being devoured by the earths creatures....I would like a small plot in a crematorian garden of rememberence so my family would have somewhere to go but i would like them just to remember me the way i was and always will be even after my passing...I will always be there....somewhere....

Angela
19-Apr-07, 16:20
Thats ok in theory - I have fond memories of most of my grandparents, but my grandad died when I was 2, so the only time I can feel close to him is at his graveside. He was still an important part of my life though. I spoke about him every day until I went to school, then I stopped. I really wish I did have memories of him. :~(

I do understand that henry20...my Dad died when I was three and I don't really remember him at all. He was buried at Rosskeen Churchyard, near Alness, along with his parents....but I've only been there once. It was special to be there, but unfortunately I'm not likely to be back there again :( and I think that must be true for a lot of other people too, if families don't stay in the same area. I do wish I had some memories of him.

cuddlepop
19-Apr-07, 17:08
I would rather be cremated and If I'm still living on Skye that will be expensive as you have to be taken to Inverness.
My dad was cremated when I was fifteen and I've never missed a grave side to be near him.I just talk to the passing butterflies and robins in the winter.Especially when I'm down.:(
Even after twenty eight years there is still a butterfly that hibernates at my mum's:eek:

Max
19-Apr-07, 17:16
I really like the idea of the tree being planted over you - I agree with Trinkie that would be lovely. Then you are putting something back into the world for others - I'm up for that. There is also the option of being cremated and your ashes being attached to a rocket and blasted in to the sky and scattered everywhere. Not so up for that one tho'

lassieinfife
19-Apr-07, 17:17
puff of lilac smoke for me.... no way is anything getting to crawl up my nose and in my ears ..........eeeeekkkkkkkkkk:confused

karia
19-Apr-07, 17:45
MY father-in-law died in December which prompted me to look into what happens to your body after death on the internet,Including viewing a film
of a cremation from inside the oven.

I will most definately be cremated!

danc1ngwitch
19-Apr-07, 20:26
Death: Is our bodies just not a case?
When I die, My case will go to the Earth.
The Healer, the Teacher, she gives us the knowledge.
It is our's to take.

Solus
19-Apr-07, 20:34
Cremate me, take my ashes on a nice windy day on top of a hill in caithness, scatter me to the winds ! let me be free !

Victoria
19-Apr-07, 20:36
I'd like a Buddhist Sky burial but I don't think its going to happen!!

http://www.tibet.ca/en/wtnarchive/1999/7/14_1.html

Rheghead
19-Apr-07, 20:47
I have an older cycling mate who has asked me if he could have some of his ashes placed inside my bicycle frame so he could be still travelling the hills and lonely roads of Scotland with me. I accepted of course.

j4bberw0ck
19-Apr-07, 21:21
a notion that being cremated ofter your demise is actualy harming the planet

Dearie me, the climate-change Nazis really are clamping down. Control freaks, the lot of them. They've seen a wonderful opportunity to tell people what they can and can't do, and they're going for it.

I suppose it hasn't occurred to anyone what whether you rot or burn, there's a return to the environment.

Victoria
19-Apr-07, 21:28
Cremate me, take my ashes on a nice windy day on top of a hill in caithness, scatter me to the winds ! let me be free !

Oh dear - you've just reminded me of one of my friends funerals.......the ashes were to be scattered on top of the heath (a favourite place of my friend)....it was nice sunny day but quite windy...unfortunately when his mum went to scatter the ashes the wind was blowing in the wrong direction!:eek:

We all got a face full of Justin....but he would have found it hillarious so we reckon it was his doing!

Solus
19-Apr-07, 21:34
sorry Victoria, never meant to cause any upset, but if you are right, i am sure he had a good chuckle at you all !

Victoria
19-Apr-07, 21:45
oh no I've taken no offence from your post!

You've just given me a good giggle!

Angela
19-Apr-07, 21:59
It's strange (or maybe not) how a bit of black humour surfaces at times like these...I'm sure it's how we survive :)

Solus
19-Apr-07, 22:02
good :)

and yes Angela, sometimes in our darkest hour a little laughter goes a long way .

Julia
19-Apr-07, 22:21
I have always stressed that when the time comes I would like to be cremated but if, in doing so, I will be contributing to global warming then a rethink is in order, not that am I planning on dying soon!

I absolutely hate the thought of being buried, no way can I stand the thought of it! For those that don't mind, why are folk planted not feet first in an upright position, it would really save on space! Some kind of machine would be needed to created the deep but narrow hole first though.

Bobinovich
19-Apr-07, 22:24
My mum was cremated and her ashes scattered on Murkle beach where we spent many summers as a family. She always wanted to travel the world after she retired but never got the chance, so it's nice to know she got her wish - just in a different form!

Fran
20-Apr-07, 02:47
My hubby has always wanted to be put to see after his death, is it allowed...I thought maybe there was a way to have it done without loads of red tape....Is there anywhere you know that i could check this out as it is his wish and i would like to be able to do this for him..thanks justine

Yes, you can be buried at sea. A scottish lifeboat recently carried this out.Or you could always scatter his ashes at sea.

brandy
20-Apr-07, 07:51
this may not make any sence as im crying.. but when they offered me cremation at the hospital.. i couldnt bear the thought.. my mum nearly lost her mind when i told her the options the hospital gave me for tom.
the thought of his little body burning and turning to ash.. i just couldnt... i had to keep him whole and with me as long as i could..

oh god when i saw his tiny little coffin though i nearly lost my mind.. i wanted to rip it apart.. and scream give me my baby back.. it was so small i just sont know how he fit into it.
but it was so beautiful.. how they could make a small wooden box look so pretty i dont know.
we had his service in church.. and it was so comforting.
oliver was so so so good with the service.
there was no preaching, just comfort and love.
he reminded us all that tom was a real person, and just because he didnt get
a chance to be on the outside, didnt mean anything.
that he was much loved and very much missed..
when he was lowered into the ground my sam looked up at me and said.. mommy all gone.
and i said yes honey all gone.
out of the mouth of babes huh?
i never sang to tom when he was born i just couldnt do it. not out loud..
and i finally did at his grave, i sat on the ground with him one day.. and sang to my baby.
there was times i wanted to dig up the ground with my bare hands to get to him in the early days, but it is so comforting to be able to sit beside his little grave and talk to him.
sometimes when you feel so empty and your arms ache to hold him.. its the only thing that helps to go and sit beside him and talk and sing his lullabys.

johno
20-Apr-07, 11:49
i dont know whats to become of me
im to good to go downstairs
and to bad to go upstairs
so i guess im in limbo stuck in between.
i ll just stay here then. ha ha [lol] [lol]

Ancient Mariner
20-Apr-07, 12:59
A friend of mine that I worked with died and was cremated. His wife asked me if I would take his ashes and bury them at sea. I said of course but it was a helluva job digging the hole.

Seriously I did scatter his ashes at sea but with the Marpol regulations you will have to be careful as there are a lot of restrictions what can be put into the sea.

After 30 years sailing the oceans I'm for being planted.

changilass
20-Apr-07, 13:15
I don't believe in ghosts but if someone puts me in a hole in the ground I will come back and haunt the life out of them.

It has always been a tradition in our family that you are cremated, the ashes are kept till the first aniversary then we all get together to scatter them at the place they wanted them scattered.

My nana wanted her ashes turned into egg timers, she said as she had always been ther for us when she was alive she would still like to be usefull when dead, unfortunately we couldn't find anyone willing to do this for us.

Angela
20-Apr-07, 13:32
It has always been a tradition in our family that you are cremated, the ashes are kept till the first aniversary then we all get together to scatter them at the place they wanted them scattered.

It's a good idea....you can't decide when to have a funeral, but you can choose a time and place to scatter the ashes. Especially if it's been a big funeral, it's nice to have something just for family and very close friends.

scorrie
20-Apr-07, 14:04
I have an older cycling mate who has asked me if he could have some of his ashes placed inside my bicycle frame so he could be still travelling the hills and lonely roads of Scotland with me. I accepted of course.

Be careful with that Rheghead. Some over-zealous Copper might charge you on an "illegally carrying a passenger" technicality ;o)

scorrie
20-Apr-07, 14:08
Dearie me, the climate-change Nazis really are clamping down. Control freaks, the lot of them.

Aye, true enough. I think I'll get cremated in an oil refinery now, just for spite ;o)

The Big Fish
21-Apr-07, 03:14
For some reason as I get older I've given this some thought and probably did so with the complete solution in mind thinking of all the pros cons and family fall out opportunities along the way. Here is my proposal which i would appreciate an honest response too.

Cremation makes for the use of less land but possibly a wee bit more global warming (could be seriously counteracted by the freeing up of more space to plant trees ...read on)....each family buys up a family plot within a graveyard as done traditionally at present. instead of each family member taking up a whole plot each family reserves a plot (slightly larger than at present) which is subject to a memorial stone that can be added to. As each family member dies they are cremated and their ashes interned in the family grave and their datails added on the memorial stone, this can be more specific in family records held in a public records office.

This way each family member could join their whole family on death. If there was any dispute regarding marraige then ashes could be split between families depending on the wishes of the deceased.

This would allow massive savings of land and families to be together after death. Personally I believe at best grieving lasts 3 generations after that you are wide open to the current time team of the present day.... quite frankly I dont want a 22nd century Tony Robbins stating to the massed millions " clearly he liked a large amount of chinese food wattered down by copious amounts of alcohol" as quite frankly it would be true!

brandy
21-Apr-07, 16:49
only 3? what happens when like me you have 5 generations alive and well in a lifetime?

Cinders392
21-Apr-07, 17:08
After my death any organs good enough to be donated will be. Anything left after this will be donated to science and the parts left after that will be cremated and scattered(all going to my plan). However after you die other people take over and they will probably plant me and I do not want that. I'd like a bench placed somewhere instead of a gravestone in a grave yard.

percy toboggan
21-Apr-07, 18:23
I don't fancy being placed on the top of some modest mountain to be pecked upon by crows. Oh seary me no! The thought of the little beggars nibbling at me eyeballs sends shivers through me spine.

I will be burnt. Then spread as the sunsets upon the beach at Traigh, near Arisaig/Morar. Perhaps a Piper might be hired for the occasion. Can you play The Long & Winding Road on bagpipes?I do not want a conventional funeral - just a short humanist doo with my immediate family (5)

I never fancied cremation, and still don't until I'm deed. However, a burial in a local cemtery her does not appeal. I don't feel I belong here (Mancunia), never did. Recent family research proves why.

oldmarine
23-Apr-07, 01:01
My wife and I looked at the costs for both buriel and for cremation. Both are extremely high priced. So we decided to donate our bodies to science. We both have Pre-Registered Donor Cards with the notation "Has prearranged to will their body to science with Life Legacy Foundation. Plus "Upon death please contact us immediately" Life Legacy Foundation with a telephone number to call. We are elgible for buriel of body or cremains in a veterans cemetary due to the fact that I am a WWII veteran; however, we have decided to make this other choice. That is our choice and we have told our children of our decision. If they want, they can have a memorial service for us in their local church. For me, the simpler it is the better it is.

karia
23-Apr-07, 20:20
Arisaig/morar,
Beautiful place to end your days !
tried to explain bracora & 'back o kepoch' to my OH the other day..and the white sands of morar..and that single swan !...
...and the thousands of traffic wardens...:-)

Thanks for the memories, PT

karia
23-Apr-07, 20:41
Hi oldmarine,
Totally respect your choice>
I have a genetic condition and the more research the better,
however, my folks donated their bodies and got told that after the research..the extra stuff would be returned for disposal..to me, n dribs &
drabs!
I'd be left to bury the odd arm and leg!

We thought it was so funny ...and horrible ...but mostly okay as we're not squeamish..but then I was told that the, parts..might still be coming for the next fifty years..

We aint that old ..

Avon calling..:-(

love karia

celtic 302
24-Apr-07, 13:28
When I'm gone, i will let my closest family relatves decide what to do with what remains of me. Whether i be cremated, buried in the ground, or donated to science i dont really mind.

I dont want a fancy funeral either, but then again the ones left alive will decide that, because funerals are for the living, not the dead.