PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Favourite Food Vote

caithness_rep
15-May-05, 12:14
We are asking thousands of people from around Caithness what their favourite food is.
To vote, please email caithness_rep by clicking on the link below to email.
Your vote should be the subject of your email.

Thank You

daviddd
15-May-05, 12:57
this sounds a bit dodgy?? :confused

scotsboy
15-May-05, 13:12
I voted Cold Mince Piece which i admit does sound dodgy :lol: Never eaten one, but I am told they are lovely :roll:

daviddd
15-May-05, 14:04
We are asking thousands of people from around Caithness what their favourite food is.
To vote, please email caithness_rep by clicking on the link below to email.
Your vote should be the subject of your email.

Thank Youwho's 'we' exactly? :) :confused

Brizer2k2
15-May-05, 21:46
It has to be a Johnston's pie !!!

:D

yum !!!

fred
16-May-05, 09:37
I like a traditional Caithness curry like the Lamb Cormack myself, or the Chicken Tarka which
is like a Chicken Tika but it's a bit otter. I tried some Dounray Duck once but that was too
hot even for me.

Whitewater
16-May-05, 11:48
Nothing beats the Haggis, neeps and tatties form 'Sinclairs' in Wick, another favourite is the blackpudding and egg roll from the Dounreay canteen. :D

Geo
16-May-05, 12:52
Be good to know who is asking as it could just be an email harvesting exercise.

scotsboy
16-May-05, 13:24
neeps and tatties

:roll: You mean CLAP SHOT ;) :lol:

Alananders68
16-May-05, 16:23
It has to be a Johnston's pie !!!

:D

yum !!!
They don't make pies like they used to, none of the bakeries do.

I voted Cold Mince Piece which i admit does sound dodgy Never eaten one, but I am told they are lovely
I don't mind them myself, it's just basically a mince sandwich. When you have mince and tatties and have any mince leftover you might make a piece with it and a piece is just a Wick slang for sandwich.

My vote has to be steak and chips, but mince patties and tatties come close second.

Zael
16-May-05, 17:00
I think you'll find piece is used in more places than Wick to describe a sandwich.

George Brims
17-May-05, 00:34
Zael is right, it's a Scotland wide expression. There is a folk song from the sixties lamenting that "Ye cannae fling a piece oot a twenty storey flat", which folks used to do from the windows of the old Glasgow tenements. A jammy piece would sustain a kid out playing.

My personal vote would be a fish supper from Peachy's. I know, I know, long gone. He used to fry the fish so hot the tail bones of the haddock were crisp enough to eat. Superb.

Fesman
17-May-05, 06:13
I think you'll find piece is used in more places than Wick to describe a sandwich.

Piece: a serving that has been cut from a larger portion; "a piece of pie"; "a slice of bread"

Surely the correct term for a "cold mince sandwich" would be a "cold mince pieces"

scotsboy
17-May-05, 11:07
No its a cold mince piece.

Fesman
17-May-05, 11:54
No its a cold mince piece.

Fair enough. I'm fascinated by the descriptive words you use in your part of the world. We call a cold mince sandwich, "dog tucker"

I'd rather have the black pudding, but good quality ones are as scarce as hen's teeth, in NZ.

jalna
17-May-05, 12:36
Better than a 'cold mince piece' Is:- (and Fesman it is 'peice' not peices there is only one of them unless of course if you had 2 it would be 'cold mince peices') :lol:

Anyway back to the subject which is not colloquialisms but food. :)

A hot mince roll is far better. You take the handle end of a wooden spoon and make a hole in the side of the roll and sort of hollow out the centre of the roll. Don't take any of the insides away just sort of flatten them. Then with a soup ladel or spoon pour some hot (cold if you want to) but not to runny mince into it. Then eat. Yum if you like that sort of thing.

Me I like: - Steamed Syrup Pudding with custard - But I'm not allowed it now :~(

Or is this limited to first courses?

Geo
17-May-05, 12:56

Yes it's commonly used in N.Ireland too.

squidge
17-May-05, 14:55
i had never heard "piece" before moving to caithness - the local word for sandwich is "buttie"

i was a little startled when moving a colleagues buttie box to get to the kettle on day in work he asked me" what are you doing with my piece" I didnt know quite how to respond to that.

My fav would be soup and chips from houstons mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Donnie
17-May-05, 15:14
i had never heard "piece" before moving to caithness - the local word for sandwich is "buttie"

i was a little startled when moving a colleagues buttie box to get to the kettle on day in work he asked me" what are you doing with my piece" I didnt know quite how to respond to that.

My fav would be soup and chips from houstons mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I've always considered a piece to be a cold sarnie and a buttie to be a roll with a hot filling. Try coming to Aberdeen and asking for a cheese + ham roll, they look at you like you're crazy.

rfr10
17-May-05, 15:54
My favourite food is Tuna and onions mixed together with tomato sauce! :)

Rheghead
17-May-05, 16:07
My favorite food is hotpot but it has got to have the fattiest blackpudding in with it and topped with brown HP sauce.

champagnebaby
17-May-05, 17:10
Mines is a fillet steak from the butchers in Dempster street - home cooked on George Foreman with steak seasoning, Mmmmmmmmmmmm yummy!!

scotsboy
17-May-05, 17:42
I suppose another one is the use of "supper" i.e fish and chips is a fish supper. They use the term in NI as well.

squidge
17-May-05, 19:47
Dont use that either scotsboy

Fesman
17-May-05, 23:31
Wow

I bet that Lord Sandwich never thought that he would generate such a discussion as this, when he slapped two bits of bread together and called it lunch :)

Being a Kiwi,my favourite food would have to come out of the sea. We regularly fish for snapper, kahawai, trevally and terakihi, all of which are superb fried in butter.

When the tide is out we dig for tuatua ( shellfish) and pick mussells off the rocks. Mussells are best cooked in the shell on a piece (that word again) of corrugated roofing iron over an open fire on the beach.

The best two seafoods would have to be crayfish and paua (abalone). We have to dive for the crayfish and the paua are practically fished out in accessible places.

squidge
17-May-05, 23:54
Fesman

That sounds fabulous

Naefearjustbeer
18-May-05, 01:00
A nice home cooked thick fillet steak marinaded with my special secret ingredients from bews the butcher, with chips, onion rings an a runny fried egg on top, Cant beat it. Well apart from the dishes afterwards. Or plain mince and tatties and yes a cold mince peice is the next best thing to mince and tatties :D :D

Naefearjustbeer
18-May-05, 01:02
Wow

I bet that Lord Sandwich never thought that he would generate such a discussion as this, when he slapped two bits of bread together and called it lunch :)

Being a Kiwi,my favourite food would have to come out of the sea. We regularly fish for snapper, kahawai, trevally and terakihi, all of which are superb fried in butter.

When the tide is out we dig for tuatua ( shellfish) and pick mussells off the rocks. Mussells are best cooked in the shell on a piece (that word again) of corrugated roofing iron over an open fire on the beach.

The best two seafoods would have to be crayfish and paua (abalone). We have to dive for the crayfish and the paua are practically fished out in accessible places.

abalone !! did you see the soup that cost over £100 for a boal and you have to order it a week in advance!! It had that in the ingredients, It was in a few of the papers last week :eek:

Fesman
18-May-05, 04:40
abalone !! did you see the soup that cost over £100 for a boal and you have to order it a week in advance!! It had that in the ingredients, It was in a few of the papers last week :eek:

Oh wow.. that's about $200.. I would never pay that for a bowl of abalone soup. Our paua are a type of abalone, but they have a beautiful mother of pearl shell and they are becoming so difficult to find that we would never consider wasting them in a soup.

The method we use to cook them is simple. After shucking them we beat them with a glass bottle to tenderise them. Then they are fried slowly in a little butter and served whole with a sprinkling of lemon juice.

If you ever see New Zealand Paua or Abalone in a shop then the chance is good that it has been illegally caught and sold. The total allowable commercial catch for paua is only 187 tonnes per year and virtually all of that goes to Japan.

As individuals we are allowed 10 paua bigger than 125mm (5 inches) in our possession at any point in time. Accumulating paua over several days is illegal.

So, it really doesn't surprise me that soup costs so much, but I still wouldn't pay that price. Not when I can head to my spot on the Coromandel Peninsula, fight off a few octupii and collect my limit :)

Naefearjustbeer
18-May-05, 14:00
If I remember corectly it was a chinese dish called Budha jumps over a wall, or something similar and some of the ingredients need to be simmered for several days in a pan. Hence the high cost and pre-order time. Other ingredients included sharks fin and a few other seafoods.

Fesman
18-May-05, 21:43
If I remember corectly it was a chinese dish called Budha jumps over a wall, or something similar and some of the ingredients need to be simmered for several days in a pan. Hence the high cost and pre-order time. Other ingredients included sharks fin and a few other seafoods.

I found it.

Here is a picture of it

http://www.luxist.com/entry/1234000893042781