PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Thomson The plot thickens

BetterTogether
29-Sep-15, 17:49
Seems an investigation is now under way into property irregularities although why it's taken so long is another issue. Thomson solicitor was struck off in May 2014 a year before Thomson became an MP.

https://www.holyrood.com/articles/news/police-scotland-investigates-alleged-irregularities-relating-property-deals-after-mps

rob murray
29-Sep-15, 21:17
Well she has tonight resigned the whip...or could it be she did so before the whip was officially withdrawn.....anyway technically, she has now effectively sacked herself

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-34395392

Bad week for SNP and its only tuesday...Hyslopgate, Rachman Thomson, Swinneys incompetence, named person controversy....all we need is some more Monaghanisms to complete the show.

BetterTogether
29-Sep-15, 22:01
Oh Paul Monaghan has been embarrassing himself claiming to speak for Scotland in the Catalonia referendum issue saying that Scotland is with them.

Wasn't aware he was a designated spokesperson for Eu or Spanish affairs or that somehow there has been some kind of official status for we the people of Scotland's opinion on the issue, non the less it didn't stop him.

Needless to say he was asked where he gleaned that opinion from and failed to supply any answer.

@_PaulMonaghan: Bona sort Catalunya . Esc̣cia està amb tu. Good luck Catalonia. Scotland is with you. #SNP #Catalunya #EU #Politics http://t.co/19ZsWpKvCj

BetterTogether
29-Sep-15, 22:14
Well she has tonight resigned the whip...or could it be she did so before the whip was officially withdrawn.....anyway technically, she has now effectively sacked herselfhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-34395392Bad week for SNP and its only tuesday...Hyslopgate, Rachman Thomson, Swinneys incompetence, named person controversy....all we need is some more Monaghanisms to complete the show.Remember I said a while ago about them crossing the rubicon, it appears they are trying their best to leap it in one mighty bound.

golach
29-Sep-15, 22:27
See Sky News,,,,,,,,she has quit

BetterTogether
29-Sep-15, 22:33
Hardly surprising after all the press she received over the weekend.

Question that needs to be asked is why she quit and wasn't sacked by the FM.

What else is being buried by the party that's yet to surface.

How can we trust the truth to come out of Holyrood when the SNP have such a large majority and handle the committees.

Only today we heard the chair of the Hyslop committee state " everything is above board" before any questions had been asked.

Why was she selected in the first place as the allegations have been going on for a while.

Who vetted her and checked she was fit for office why was non of this taken into account.

What is really going on inside the SNP as these problems start to surface.

What about the other allegations of Cronyism that have surfaced recently.

Has the FM really got her eye on the ball when it comes to running Scotland we hear her constant references to other issues outwith Scotland but within her own party it's a free for all.

How deep is the rot that seems to have set into the SNP

Incompetence ...Police Scotland

Incompetence ...Education

Incompetence...NHS Scotland

Incompetence ... Stamp duty

Allegations of Fraud

Allegations of Cronyism

So much for a better Scotland under the SNP

BetterTogether
29-Sep-15, 22:54
Wow when did they know !

Solicitor caught 2011 struck off 2014 but didn't report suspected criminality until 2015.

The SNP need to answer some serious questions very quickly after all the endorsements Michelle Thomson had from senior party members.

http://www.lawscot.org.uk/news/2015/09/law-society-responds-to-christopher-hales-case/

rob murray
30-Sep-15, 09:01
And Thomson was SNP spokesperson on business !!!! Specilaising in dodgy business deals eh !!!!

rob murray
30-Sep-15, 09:02
Oh Paul Monaghan has been embarrassing himself claiming to speak for Scotland in the Catalonia referendum issue saying that Scotland is with them.

Wasn't aware he was a designated spokesperson for Eu or Spanish affairs or that somehow there has been some kind of official status for we the people of Scotland's opinion on the issue, non the less it didn't stop him.

Needless to say he was asked where he gleaned that opinion from and failed to supply any answer.

@_PaulMonaghan: Bona sort Catalunya . Esc̣cia està amb tu. Good luck Catalonia. Scotland is with you. #SNP #Catalunya #EU #Politics http://t.co/19ZsWpKvCj

Fingers on keyboard not engaging with brain.............what brain ????

BetterTogether
30-Sep-15, 09:07
Fingers on keyboard not engaging with brain.............what brain ????Aye does seem to be an issue with the SNP and some of their legions.
Excellent at pumping out propaganda but if you have the temerity to engage them and offer a differing view,the dummy is spat out they stomp off and block you seems the party dictat has been passed down from headquarters, no dissent just block, it's very wide spread from just about every vocal SNP mouthpiece.

squidge
30-Sep-15, 11:21
And Thomson was SNP spokesperson on business !!!! Specilaising in dodgy business deals eh !!!!

This is really disappointing and it is right that she resign the whip until we know whether or not the investigation - which I understand is into her former solicitor and not herself (yet)- decides what involvement if any Michelle Thomson has. If she is found to have committed criminal acts or any sort of dodgy dealing then she should step down immediately as an MP and face the full criminal proceedings.

I do, however, think that Westminster has a weird approach to criminality, when it seems that someone who is associated with someone who is being investigated by the police but who is facing no criminal investigation themselves someone who has the police have said they have no plans to interview let alone charge with anything is required to step down but someone convicted of arson can be promoted to a shadow cabinet post. It seems like there is a bit of the football team approach to justice. Remember the convicted rapist that a variety of teams wanted to sign? That was a similar sort of thing. It's like convictions can be ignored by powerful organisations when it is convenient to do so. That's not acceptable. You or I would be well and truly sacked and not re employed by our previous employers in a position of responsibility so I think WM position is all a bit unsatisfactory.

I think Michelle Thomson should step out of the front line until the investigation is over and obviously I hope that she isn't found to have been doing anything dodgy but if she has, then she should face criminal charges and if convicted of a serious offence she should NEVER hold a post in Westminster again. That should be the case for ALL members of the House of Lords and the House of Commons.

rob murray
30-Sep-15, 13:23
This is really disappointing and it is right that she resign the whip until we know whether or not the investigation - which I understand is into her former solicitor and not herself (yet)- decides what involvement if any Michelle Thomson has. If she is found to have committed criminal acts or any sort of dodgy dealing then she should step down immediately as an MP and face the full criminal proceedings.

I do, however, think that Westminster has a weird approach to criminality, when it seems that someone who is associated with someone who is being investigated by the police but who is facing no criminal investigation themselves someone who has the police have said they have no plans to interview let alone charge with anything is required to step down but someone convicted of arson can be promoted to a shadow cabinet post. It seems like there is a bit of the football team approach to justice. Remember the convicted rapist that a variety of teams wanted to sign? That was a similar sort of thing. It's like convictions can be ignored by powerful organisations when it is convenient to do so. That's not acceptable. You or I would be well and truly sacked and not re employed by our previous employers in a position of responsibility so I think WM position is all a bit unsatisfactory.

I think Michelle Thomson should step out of the front line until the investigation is over and obviously I hope that she isn't found to have been doing anything dodgy but if she has, then she should face criminal charges and if convicted of a serious offence she should NEVER hold a post in Westminster again. That should be the case for ALL members of the House of Lords and the House of Commons.

Well said, integrity is all............................................... ....

BetterTogether
30-Sep-15, 13:54
Here's a scenario I just made up.

So you buy a property off someone at a knock down rate.

You then sell the property to someone else at an inflated rate on the same day ( commonly known as a back to back transaction )
The person who you sold the property to gives you some money back ( a cash back ) shortly after the deal is fully transacted.
The solicitor who is acting on your behalf fails to notify the mortgage lender that the property price has been inflated and sold on again within 6 months.
You sign the documents for all mortgages, your solicitor acts on your behalf but doesn't negotiate the actual deals or who the properties are sold to.
When the three counts of mortgage fraud are levelled at you after your Solocitor has been struck off you claim to be innocent.

Aye we can believe that if you wish or if it where a real situation you'd be waiting to be charged.

Not that I have any experience in this field or once owned a finance company and have one or three qualifications in the area.

If it looks like a pig, squeals like a pig then there's a very good chance it is a pig !

Meanwhile in an alternate universe being prosecuted and incarcerated for a crime serving your sentence is seen as a cross that should be worn for the rest of your life, the concept of rehabilitation is thrown out of the window.

So in a similar use of logic all drivers who are banned should never get their licences back .

No rehabilitation pointless releasing people back into the public domain which thus undermines the SNPs view on justice.

BetterTogether
30-Sep-15, 16:24
Well whatever the outcome this really does trash her credentials as an SNP MP say one thing do another. You'd of thought she had enough chutzpah not to actually leave it out there in the public domain.

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/09/nat-mp-boasted-about-selling-scots-social-housing-to-english-at-knock-down-prices/

rob murray
30-Sep-15, 17:00
Well whatever the outcome this really does trash her credentials as an SNP MP say one thing do another. You'd of thought she had enough chutzpah not to actually leave it out there in the public domain.

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/09/nat-mp-boasted-about-selling-scots-social-housing-to-english-at-knock-down-prices/

Well well well.....the first big time SNP scandal, totally destoys any crediblitity the women has......and she repesents "real scots" eh.....

BetterTogether
30-Sep-15, 17:01
Don't forget " Business For Scotland " makes you wonder eh !

BetterTogether
01-Oct-15, 09:04
And the latest is Nicola Sturgeon attempting to reprise the role of Manuel from fawlty towers " I know nothing "

squidge
01-Oct-15, 16:24
Well said, integrity is all............................................... ....

You are right Rob, but it's not just that. People make mistakes and they shouldn't necessarily be punished for the rest of their lives but I think it's wrong for politicians to have lower standards than other public servants or other sectors that have rules set by the government.

So, if you are a policeman and you are convicted of a serious offence that leads to a custodial sentence then you would not be released from that sentence and walk back into a job as a policeman. In fact, you would never work as a policeman again! Same with a teacher, or a civil servant, a doctor, a lawyer, Even in the private sector the government sets Laws within which people are employed so maybe as a financial adviser or solicitor you would be struck off or barred from practicing.

It seems to me that Members of The House of Commons and the House of Lords should be expected to have the same conditions of their employment as a public servant as others do. I don't think it is right that they are treated differently over this. That's why it's the right thing for Michelle Thomson to be removed from her role and resign the whip. Any other public servant would be suspended.

rob murray
01-Oct-15, 17:01
You are right Rob, but it's not just that. People make mistakes and they shouldn't necessarily be punished for the rest of their lives but I think it's wrong for politicians to have lower standards than other public servants or other sectors that have rules set by the government.

So, if you are a policeman and you are convicted of a serious offence that leads to a custodial sentence then you would not be released from that sentence and walk back into a job as a policeman. In fact, you would never work as a policeman again! Same with a teacher, or a civil servant, a doctor, a lawyer, Even in the private sector the government sets Laws within which people are employed so maybe as a financial adviser or solicitor you would be struck off or barred from practicing.

It seems to me that Members of The House of Commons and the House of Lords should be expected to have the same conditions of their employment as a public servant as others do. I don't think it is right that they are treated differently over this. That's why it's the right thing for Michelle Thomson to be removed from her role and resign the whip. Any other public servant would be suspended.

Yes people make mistakes and should get second chances but politicians involved in finanical shenanigans..no.... so I agree with you

BetterTogether
05-Oct-15, 08:33
Another day another revelation. How can the First Minister claim to know nothing when Michelle Thomson was on Facebook 5 yrs ago bragging about her business practises. We also have Ivan McKee SNP candidate now being dragged into the foray using Michelle Thomsons business services alongside Peter Murrell with the leaked emails to Business For Scotland all looks decidedly unhealthy.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/mp-thomson-told-of-deals-on-facebook-five-years-ago-1-3907246

BetterTogether
05-Oct-15, 17:42
Oh dear now the Lord Advocate is being called to Holyrood to answer questions.

https://www.holyrood.com/articles/news/lord-advocate-called-scottish-parliament-answer-questions-over-crown%E2%80%99s-handling-mp

Oddquine
09-Oct-15, 21:29
Quote from http://ponsonbypost.com/index.php/comment/44-michelle-thomson-the-making-of-a-smear

There will be people who take the view that Michelle Thomson's company was acting immorally. If that is the case then anyone who seeks financial advantage when entering the property market is also acting immorally. How many of them would have volunteered to pay an extra ten or twenty thousand pounds to a seller if they believed the house was worth more than they were paying or if the seller was in financial difficulty?

As to the claims that people in financial difficulty were being taken advantage of, are we now to be forced to means test sellers when purchasing their property? Will all those casting aspersion on Michelle Thomson now seek out those from which they purchased their property to see why they sold? Will Unionist parties and their media pals campaign to make unlawful the service offered by Michelle Thomson's company and others?

Well, would you, BT?

BetterTogether
09-Oct-15, 22:27
If the solicitor acting on your behalf had been struck off and your business activities reported to SOCA then I'd say whichever political party you represent there would be serious questions asked about the legality and morality of the way you conduct business and whether you're a fit person to be a politician.

We will see in due course what happens to this person who has obviously if nothing sailed so close to the borders of legal/illegal that she is being looked into by the serious organised crime agency.

BetterTogether
15-Oct-15, 15:54
Seems that now the electoral commission is now going to Investigate the links between Peter Murrell and Business for Scotland . Along with the police looking into Thomsons affairs and another SNP MP linked to her shades dealings it would appear this is the problem that just won't go away and is now slowly dragging more and more people into it.

rob murray
15-Oct-15, 15:59
Seems that now the electoral commission is now going to Investigate the links between Peter Murrell and Business for Scotland . Along with the police looking into Thomsons affairs and another SNP MP linked to her shades dealings it would appear this is the problem that just won't go away and is now slowly dragging more and more people into it.

If Murrel is dragged in then so is Sturgeon ,maybe this eplains why Sturgeon acted so quickly to boot Thomson out ! I thought the basic legal premise was innocence before guilt ?? Also Aamer Anwar, is Thomson’s solicitor so expect him to fight a dirty battle against the "accusers"...ie theres no way Sturgeon is going to get off with the official line if finding out about Thomsons carry on in the sunday papers....Anwar will make sure that Sturgeon and Murrell are implicated so as to lessen any "blame" on his client, ie thats his job and he is good at it !

BetterTogether
15-Oct-15, 16:38
I've yet to see how The electoral Commision will find results but it's hard to see how Business For Scotland can claim to be totally independent of the SNP when Peter Murrell is seen in emails telling them what to do with the top people in the organisation. Telling an MD to stand down into a non paid position isn't something an independent person can do.